Mine is easy...

First, there are three dogs... one of which... Badger, is the first line of defense... beyond her, when she alerts the klaxons... the two of them alert the rest of the surrounding neighborhood.

Klaxons = 2 beagles... LOUD!!!! They love to bark at anything thats not right... so when they go off... ya know something isnt the way it should be...

Then... if the perp decided he still wants to come into the house... we have the following at ready within arms reach of the bed...

WASR10 with 30 rounds of FMJ next to the bed... be damned, anything beyond the perp...

Saiga .223 next to the WASR with 30 rounds 55 gr. JHP ( See above)

Saiga .410 a foot further over yonder, with 4 rounds of 000 buck in the mag, and a spare 10 rounder with 3" magnum buffered 4's.

I just like to make sure there's enough rounds for the situation.... :up::lol::up:

:smoke:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^

........I know that shit's right. +1

Mossberg is the best home security system

Mossberg 590 (speedfeed stock loaded with 00 buck, 6 slugs in the sidesaddle tube loaded with #4 buck) in the closet at home, up here at school though (12x14 room) it would be a bit overkill (not to mention i don't have a place to stash it) so its just the Bersa .380

Alarm system, S&W .38 Airweight, Flashlight, Telephone. All the heavy stuff is locked up. An AK or .308 overpenetrates WAY too much to use in a house.

I don't understand you guys leaving guns all over the house. Burglers usually try to break in when your Not there. Cash, guns, and drugs is what they're looking for. When the steal your gun you not only lost it but you armed a criminal.

I guess you don't read the news much. There has been a huge increase in home invasion robberies in the last couple of years. These days there are so many lowlife crackhead MFs and gangbangers with no respect for human life at all, they choose to break in your house while you are there so they can get you to tell them at gunpoint where all your guns, drugs, and cash are hidden. unless you keep that .38 on your hip or in your hand as you move about the house watching tv, going to the bathroom, layin with your sweetheart, then what are you gonna do when they come bustin in pointing weapons at you and your family? A cell phone ain't gonna do jack shit. Neither is an alarm system. If that happens to me I'm ready for it.

Hey, I figure I gotta play it stupid....

"Honest officer, I PLANNED to make sure that when I shot the perp I ONLY shot him... I made sure to maximize my lethality on the intruder and no one else..."

As opposed to ...

"Honest officer... I just grabbed the first thing I had handy, I was afraid I was going to die and that my wife and kids would be killed too!!! I was SCARED!!!"

I will play the second...

Hopefully I *NEVER* have to use EITHER ONE... and I can die happily NEVER having to fire a round at another human being!!! :up:

Noone can argue with the stopping power of a 12 gauge but as far as non-exotic (common) handguns the .357 magnum loaded with American made 125gr JHP ammo is the best caliber and ammo to stop an intruder. Extremely effective stopping power with a single shot, low enough powder to minimize recoil, thus keeping you on target and also provides ample penetration and expansion.

Alarm system, S&W .38 Airweight, Flashlight, Telephone. All the heavy stuff is locked up. An AK or .308 overpenetrates WAY too much to use in a house.

I don't understand you guys leaving guns all over the house. Burglers usually try to break in when your Not there. Cash, guns, and drugs is what they're looking for. When the steal your gun you not only lost it but you armed a criminal.

I guess you don't read the news much. There has been a huge increase in home invasion robberies in the last couple of years. These days there are so many lowlife crackhead MFs and gangbangers with no respect for human life at all, they choose to break in your house while you are there so they can get you to tell them at gunpoint where all your guns, drugs, and cash are hidden. unless you keep that .38 on your hip or in your hand as you move about the house watching tv, going to the bathroom, layin with your sweetheart, then what are you gonna do when they come bustin in pointing weapons at you and your family? A cell phone ain't gonna do jack shit. Neither is an alarm system. If that happens to me I'm ready for it.

........I only leave guns all over my house when I'm at home. My Browning safe is packed, locked, and secured every morning when we leave....(you'd have to tear half the house down and have a trackhoe to pick it up and carry it off.......)

........I would never keep that .38 on my hip or in my hand. My preference is a .40 or .45, and I'm NEVER WITHOUT IT. Even in the shower, it's within arm's reach....

24 / 7.....365.

Don't think it can't happen to you, at your house, at any time........I, like Cobra, am ready for it.

I keep the .40 with me at all times. Day or night, home or not. The .45 is kept out at night when I'm home. I figure between the two of those I can shoot my way to my gunsafe where I can re-arm.

When I'm away, all guns (except the .40 in my pocket) are in the safe. While it's true that home invasions seem to be on the rise, most burglars still do it the old fashioned way, when no one's home. For those of you keeping guns everywhere in the house for protection, I hope you're locking them away when you leave the house unattended.

post-79-1169264520_thumb.jpg

post-79-1169264535_thumb.jpg

I have a CHL and regularly carry. The .38 can peek around corners better than any long gun. I practice regularly and I'm accurate. The number one determiner is whether you hit what you shoot at. A miss with a cannon is still a miss.

-----

I like the 1911 but it's just too big to carry around (at least where I live). The .45 is a "Stop 'em cold" round. I've been toying with the idea of getting a .44 magnum for 'around the house.'

-----

Home invasion may be bigger where you are than where I live but we see far more straight up B&E. Still, a gun by the door doesn't help if the bad guy barges through the door before you get there. I've heard they don't knock :rolleyes:

Edited by Smiley_Guy

See my post above Smiley, believe it or not .357 is a typically a better man stopping weapon than the .45 or .44. I have multiple weapons including a couple .45's, shotguns, submachine gun, assault rifles. The weapon I'm grabbing first is the .357. The others may follow if necessary ;) .

US, 357s are just to big to carry concealed all the time, for me anyway.

Indy, it's not a cop but a grand jury you might have to explain that to. Next is the relatives and their lawyers.

.......anybody inside my house in that situation will have to be deposed for the grand jury by means of a seance. If the relatives and their lawyers can explain why their errant relative decided to break forcibly into my house, the grand jury can start lighting the candles and polishing up the ouija board........I'll take my chances.........

(perhaps its fortunate that I live in an area of the country where home invasion is actually considered a crime, and the consequences of it don't fall on the person invaded when deadly force is called upon for personal protection........)

Edited by Jeaux E

In NY state, forcible entry is defendable with physical deadly force... even if the act is attempted burglary... physical deadly force is authorized.

Again... I will just grab what is handy... not the loads i had set up and planned to use in the rare event someone decided to break in, and I was planning to make sure it went my way, and safely for bystanders.

Hello

Not meaning to sound "un-utopian" here or anything, but....

One "attribute" of having our (once) noble country inhabited by illegal third-worlders (thank Jorge W. and his predecessors for that) is that the modes of criminal operation are becoming less "conventional" and more "dirty" or threatening. Here in Houston (a wonderful melting-pot of legal and illegal inhabitants) the driveway carjackings and kick-burglaries are becoming alarmingly prevalent.

I think this may be attributable to the simple fact that these folks don't exactly "blend" with the neighborhoods that they often target. This means a quick "kick and rip" mentality, not a prowl around until a suitable (easy) victim is found. That means more and more crime at the muzzle of a gun, not under the guise of "belonging" there.

That's why my doggers are my first line of defense. My home is never "empty". My dogs live in it, and there is no doubt they would eagerly protect it with their lives. There is also no doubt even a quasi-literate monolingual third-worlder would realize that before anything else, he (they) would have to deal with some large, vicious (to them) dogs, intent on causing trauma. Not to say it couldn't or wouldn't happen, but only a lunatic would choose a home like mine as their first option.

This really minimizes the chances of a "typical" burglary, but probably doesn't eliminate the chance of a driveway carjacking or a spur-of the-moment kick-burglary.

That's why I have "locked and loaded" weapons at little-more than arms reach from nearly any point in my house and garage.

Of course, they're somewhat hidden, and when the grandkids visit, they are put well out of reach, but I'm never too far away from them, and always cognizant of where they are.

I have a bumpersticker attached to my CHL certificate that reads:

"Take a Bite Out of Crime

SHOOT THE BASTARDS!"

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston (Zombieville!)

Guys, you misunderstand. I was referring to the neighbors, bystanders, and innocents in you house hypothetically injured by using a rifle in a suburb. Of course the perp is toast.

There was a story in the paper here some time back of a kid discharging dad's .270 in the house. That soft tip went through 3 neighboring houses.

Considering my current living situation, a college dorm, no guns, just a baseball bat by my bunk, and a dive knife under the pillow, thumb opening blade on me at all times.

At home it's either my m48 mauser, or my Ruger 10/22 by the bed. Kinda at the extremes of calibre spectrum :/

HMMM- I have either a M37shotgun with OO buck and 3" slugs-I have to keep the flechette rounds and other shit under wraps-DAMMIT!(and hiding behind a wall wont cut it-I have no problems shooting through walls in my home if they run around the corner. or I have my Glock 19 with 124gr hollowpoints and a few of those have Mercury in the nose with a wax cap-nooo I do not think he will make it. 'I have no idea what you are talking about- how did merury get on my bullets??????? sure it wasnt the 'lead poisoning' :angel::angel::rolleyes:

Considering my current living situation, a college dorm, no guns, just a baseball bat by my bunk, and a dive knife under the pillow, thumb opening blade on me at all times.

At home it's either my m48 mauser, or my Ruger 10/22 by the bed. Kinda at the extremes of calibre spectrum :/

Shit in the dorms when i was at IUP my pocketknife was "the largest blade" i was allowed to have

HMMM- I have either a M37shotgun with OO buck and 3" slugs-I have to keep the flechette rounds and other shit under wraps-DAMMIT!(and hiding behind a wall wont cut it-I have no problems shooting through walls in my home if they run around the corner. or I have my Glock 19 with 124gr hollowpoints and a few of those have Mercury in the nose with a wax cap-nooo I do not think he will make it. 'I have no idea what you are talking about- how did merury get on my bullets??????? sure it wasnt the 'lead poisoning' :angel::angel::rolleyes:

You'll almost certainly end up in court if you use something crazy. I certainly wouldn't carry the mercury bullets. You'd be accused of looking for a fight. Something to think about.

Just gave this a little bit of thought, and realised that a lot of the decisions that go into weapons used for home-defense, where they are placed or carried, and the type of ammo used has a hell of a lot to do with calculated risks. It dpends on what you are able to use (or allowed to have), the surroundings you're most likely to be in, and what you expect to be facing. That last one is probably the biggest difference in how people prepare for self-defense. Something that one person considers an acceptable risk may easily be unacceptable to others. If you think there's a good chance of doped up gang-bangers being a threat, you'll probably want the biggest caliber plausible and ammo that delivers the greatest possible punch. If you think you're more likely to be dealing with stupid kids because someone else in the house has a nasty habit of leaving the doors unlocked, then a 22 revolver with birdshot will probably be acceptable. Then again, maybe you live in an area where the deer are so comfortable they've been known to come right up to people's houses. The last case of that I heard about had a buck charging through a sliding glass door during rut. I believe the young woman called her father, who came over, wrestled with the thing for a while (it got in the bedroom and stayed there) before breaking its neck. Either way, that would require a much different weapon.

I'd also like to point out that bullet manufacturers make jacketed hollow points in most bore sizes for handguns. Hydra-Shok, Golden Saber, Glaser... They're all good - assuming you've got proper bullet placement. ;)

Hmm.... with THAT logic in mind... I do have the ability to reload some of my OWN bullets... maybe some BARNES-X rounds in the WASR10 would be interesting... maximum expansion, minimum penetration... talk about a bloody mess when the smoke clears...

instead of 30 little holes, there would be a pile of ground up bone/flesh jelly... :up:

Hey KYSoldier- I know- I do not have them loaded in the G19 but I do have some and they are saved for the SHTF scenario along with some other special rounds in various calibers. I just have the biggest front hole hollowpoints I can find loaded.

I need to move from PRK, it is NOT going to get better and the worthless aholes keep screwing with my wilderness-I am no longer 100 percent sure WHERE I can offroad and or shoot on any given friggin weekend!

I blast Kenny G music 24/7. Nobody comes within 2 miles of the house.

If they did though, I'd be waiting here with the 20" Cylinder M870 loaded 7+1 with 00.

Edited by Caspian Sea Monster