Why I like Saigas.....

It seems like every time I go to the range, someone (or two, or three) stops me to ask what kind of weapon I have, especially with the S12. I shot my S12 for the first time yesterday (so easy on the shoulder compared with my in-laws Remington), and some guys were like "what the hell is that, what a kick-ass shotgun!" It gets better when I bring my S308 with the POSP scope I have on it; some others were like "where can I get that!"

I didn't buy the three Saigas I have to elicit the comments I get (but I always get a kick from them). I bought them because of their ease of use and maintenance, ruggedness, "non-pretty factor" (meaning I can actually take my weapons out in the field during adverse weather conditions and worry just about dropping game and not my weapon like some of my other buddies do), and price. The "cool factor" is a nice plus, though.

I just felt like extolling the virtues of the type of long gun that makes up my entire (current) collection.....I'm sure many of you probably feel the same way.

I know exactly what you're talking about.....

I LOVE IT

some guy with a gun that costs 4 times the amount can be in the lane next to you, and everyone is still swooning over the S12.... I love mine, and the 'cool factor' just helps that fact.....

...the problem is everyone wants to touch them!

I scored my VEPR 308 because the guy shooting by me wanted my S-20 soooo bad. How could I resist? Fair trade for me lol! I let him go through a 10 rounder. Then showed him it was exactly like his VEP. We swapped info and he called me two days later.

:smoke:

I'll bet if I fire an 8 round mag out of a S-12, I'd want to buy it too. :wub:

Don't think it is just you S-12 guys, Saiga x39s get attention too. ;) Mostly from people at the range who manage to recognize what it is (or used to be), and say "Looks great, who did the conversion?" It feels great to say that I did it, in less than a night too.

Or those who state they thought about getting one, let 'em fire a 10rnder, then they seriously consider getting one and converting it also.

Just a few parts can make it feel so much more balanced and responsive, as well as reduced recoil. And it takes regular AK mags now too.

What I like about taking my Saiga to the range is the fact that the State range only allows slugs on the rifle range. You should see everyone's heads snap around when that thing goes BOOM!!! I had one range officer who didn't know me come down to make sure I wasn't shooting a 50 cal since those aren't allowed on the range. His expression when I told him it was a 12 gauge was one of those you just wish you had a camera to take a picture of.

:devil:

It happened here.

I let one of my friends shoot my 8" S-12. He had zero interest.

Now he just ordered 2 S-12's for conversion. :devil:

NoAim, You gonna be at the shoot this weekend? I'd like to try your Tromix 8". I'll bring My mags.

I've been interested in the Saiga 12 for about the past month or so. Been pricing things out for mods and discussing with a dealer friend of mine who owns one.

Funny thing how test firing makes a difference.

Tonight I went to the shop for some range time (indoor) and stuff. I met a few of his friends and one of them just happened to have their saiga 12 right there. (Tromix folder with Galil handguard and HK sites).

He offered to let me pop off 10 on the range........ I knew I was going to get one soon -but after that it was no question. Done deal!

When I got home, I went back to Tromix and sent my email off to Tony with the specs I wanted :)

Soon to be a Saiga 12 owner

Tromix stock

Krebs sites (I felt the HK sites would get in the way of the optics if I mounted them...krebs seemed better suited for my options).

Manual bolt hold open

Shark Brake (of course).

And yes... aside from the serious end of the muzzle and purpose of a Saiga 12, there's NOTHING like listening to .22 and 9mm here and there popping up the range and then....

BOOM BOOM BOOM x10

After removing the mag and checking the chamber, I backed off the line. It was a proud moment to see EVERYONE stopped with the "what the <word> was that?" expression on their face. A huge guy teaching his gal to shoot a Glock a couple lanes away laughingly said "dang man...I almost 'soiled' myself". The girl simply had her jaw dropped.

Like I said....Done deal. Talk about intimidation factor.

I thanked my new friend very much for the test fire. He said he saw my decision the moment I turned around from my lane. lol.

heheh :)

~S

Edited by whatmanual