Have anyof you guys shot the new .17?

I had the privilage to shoot the .17 cal. What a weird animal this thing was!!!

I've been seeing all the hype sorrounding this cal. over the last couple years. the bullets are pretty weird looking, like a beefed up .22 - with a tiny little head.

I'll tell ya, over a hundred yds. it shot so straight - you wouldn't friggin' beleive it.

This one was a savage, no special trigger. I didn't dig the trigger pull at all! At a standing position, with a 6X scope, by the time the bullet was fired - the scope was some where else!

when stabilized, the thing was right on - sooo fast. It punched a little tiny hole right through these clay pigeons we were shootin' at! healthy noise for what it was.

I wouldn't get it over the old trusty ruger 10/22 (I think my kid'll get one for his birthday, yea his birthday present! LOL?!?). just kinda neat FOR A FRIGGIN' bb GUN!!!

I shot a ruger bolt 17 myself, and was pretty impressed as well. You can get conversion barrels for a lot of common .22 magnum rifles, as well. Ammo is a little expensive compared to 22LR, but I totally agree. the round is flat as hell, and would be great if I were a prarie dog hunter or other varminter.

Just watch out - I'm not sure what the deal is - but this savage's trigger sucked! not just sucked a little, either! It had a really long pull, and the pressure varied through the pull of this thing. Like it was a rubber band gun or something.

Mind you, I don't have a lot of experience with the bolt actions -1 .308 with a match trigger (like butter it was), AND an 8mm mauser 98. both seemed way better!

Varmit killer for sure!

Never shot one of those things but I've read upon'em. Flat trajectory, better velocities than a .22 WMR... so far, it sounds like a wonderful BB gun. Just a thought though, if I'm not mistaken, it seems like the majority of military arms are heading toward smaller and faster bullets. Take for example the H&K MP7... a 4.6x30mm round. I think that's a .17 caliber isn't it? Anyway, I'll stick with a 7.62x39 unless I need to conceal the rifle in my front breast pocket.

Yea, if I hadn't heard the tails of the Veitnam war on the .223, I would think it was an inferior cal. over the 7.62.

I'm sure we've all heard = bullet hits the body like throwing a penny in the water. It'll go in your arm and leave your torso! Ripping anything in it's path! Maybe that's what there getting at!