can't remove hammer pin while starting saiga .223 conversion

was wondering if someone could possibly help me out. Started to do the pistol grip conversion tonight on my Saiga but when it came to the Hammer Pin, I wasn't able to pop it out. Is there some special trick involved? the trigger pin came out no problem. Is it because the hammer pin is under pressure? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris

There is a groove around the pin (Where the retainer keeps it in place) that is catching on the receiver, because, as you note, it is under spring pressure. You just gotta get it straight, and pop it out quick before it can move back over and irritate you.

It will come out, its just being difficult... like a good woman... :up:

:smoke:

I noticed that the hammer pin was moving back and forth and tried rotating it with a pair of needle nose pliers but no luck.... I sat there for a good 45 minutes trying to figure out how to get that #@$%& out.... I'll try again later on today.

-Chris

nope... in fact should make it easier...

Just keep wiggling it, and keep it aligned straight to the hole, it will pop through...

I had a bitch of a time on my latest .223 conversion a week or so ago... took me about 15 minutes to get that same pin out... it WILL come out, just keep at it.

I dunno what good a picture will do...

He said the receiver was gutted... except for the hammer and hammer spring and pin.

Imagine your hammer pin under spring tension, ya know, when its mounted in the rifle in the trigger with the spring on it, tweaking it... It wont pop STRAIGHT out of the hole without catching the lip (on the edge of the pin, where the retainer sits), on the edge of the receiver, as he tries to pop it through...

Hes just gotta grab hold of the hammer itself, get it aligned properly = STRAIGHT, and push it out quick-like before it tweaks again...

Simple as that.

IT WILL POP OUT WITHOUT ANY REAL FORCE NEEDING TO SEND IT THROUGH THE HOLE!

Patience.

I have a hell of time getting that pin back in.....still don't have it perfectly seated.....not even sure it safe to shoot at is, but then i haven't made it to the range in months and probably won't for a while yet....i'll keep tinker with it but if anyone has an suggestion on how to get it back in....love to hear them....it is only maybe 1-2 mm from being back in.

I have a hell of time getting that pin back in.....still don't have it perfectly seated.....not even sure it safe to shoot at is, but then i haven't made it to the range in months and probably won't for a while yet....i'll keep tinker with it but if anyone has an suggestion on how to get it back in....love to hear them....it is only maybe 1-2 mm from being back in.

I had the same problem. You really need to fk around with it, moving the hammer/spring assembly ever-so-slightly in every possible position/angle while pushing the pin through. Eventually, things will line up just right and it will slide to the correct position. It's a PITA, yes, but it can be done.

Same process backwards if you want to remove it.

I had the same problem. You really need to fk around with it, moving the hammer/spring assembly ever-so-slightly in every possible position/angle while pushing the pin through. Eventually, things will line up just right and it will slide to the correct position. It's a PITA, yes, but it can be done.

Same process backwards if you want to remove it.

Hell i got it out with no problem....figures, putting it back together is always harder.....