I think this is an amazing thread... For just a few bucks ANYONE who can do a conversion can have a paint curing/baking oven in no time... and no wife yelling at them that the house stinks, either!!! :up:

Well done bad bob!!!

Can a 1500 watt hair dryer work as a heat source? Or wont it put out enough heat?>

I like the idea of an old toaster oven... with the hole cut in the top... you can get those at any secondhand store for about 5 bucks!!! :up:

Maybe some 1/4" or 1/8" steel mesh would work in the bottom for small parts... no dropping thru to the bottom...

You could also drill holes in the top along the length and install hangars...and tape over them with aluminum heater duct tape to re-seal the holes. :up:

Totally a NOVEL IDEA!!!!

:smoke:

Can a 1500 watt hair dryer work as a heat source? Or wont it put out enough heat?>

I honestly don't have a clue. I will note, the low setting on my heat gun is (according to the box) about 850 degrees F. I hope to heck nobody is selling a hair dryer with that kind of output (unless, of course, they market them to jihadists: how about the "OBL Beard & Hair Dryer?" ;>).

I had originally planned to use a propane torch - I assume you could adjust the temperature up or down with the on-off valve. There is obviously 'more than one way to skin a cat.' For example, the following is a new post over on the FALfiles thread:

Cozmacozmy

FALaholic # 9260

January 22, 2007 01:03 Post #35

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had good luck with heating my smaller parts in a cardboard box lined with tin foil and using my heat gun on the high setting. The temps stayed around 350 degrees.

The box got warm but showed no signs of buring and the duplicolor 1200 painted parts turned out great. Just use a coat hanger poked thur from end to end to suspend the parts from. The only real cost involved was just the price of a roll of tin foil.

Jeff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status: Online | Posts: 235 | Registered: Feb 2003 | Marketplace Rating: (2) | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

FWIW, I'm not sure I would feel safe pumping that kind of heat into a cardboard box (I'm too much of a believer in Murphy's Law ;>). According to Ray Bradbury, paper ignites at only 451 degrees F, and a 100 degree safety zone wouldn't be enough of a comfort margin for me, especially with an 'econo-thermometer.' But quite obviously, it worked for Jeff...

Edited by Bad Bob
  • 3 months later...

Many thanks to the Moderators for moving this thread to the 'Tech Section!' You can use a quick, inexpensive, & efficient parts oven whenever you are building/refinishing ANY firearm...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I gave this a shot but my heat gun only got it to like 280. bummed.

Mine too until I wraped it with a hotwater insulation kit, now 400c in about 10 minutes

I cut adjustable vents in the top to adjust temp

A big plus I believe is that the heat gun is UL listed for safety

• 11 months later...

So let’s wake up this long sleeping thread. Have wanted to do this for a while and had the time.

Parts list

1 - 6" x 60 duct

1- 8" x 60 duct

2 - Packs of insulation 2" thick, 16 x 48

1 - Heat Gun

12 - 1 1/4' self-tapping screws

6 - 1/8 rivets

1 - Thermometer good to 400 Deg F

Cut the duct down to 45” lengths. I went with a vertical style so I can hang the parts instead of having to make something for them to sit on. Cut a 2.5” whole in the inner and outer ducts for the nozzle of the heat gun. The outer hole is higher by a ¼ in the duct to compensate for the insulation in the bottom.

Installed 8” bottom cap and insulation. Wrapped inner duct insulation and inserted into the outer and lined up the nozzle inlet. Used the self-tappers to evenly space the inner to the outer duct.

Made a vent for top cap. Will be firing it up tomorrow and baking some parts

Pics are here http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1185-ode-to-bad-bob/

saw the pics- nice job dad. been planning on powder coating some old industrial machine parts for garage art when i get the chance and this is right up my alley. i'll be looking into this come springtime. are you familiar with the lindsay/gingery series of books?

Edited by fatty alcohol
  • Like 1

short version is linsdsay books is a company that sells book for guys like us. homemade crucibles, build your own sheet metal bender, make your own EDM and a million more. dave gingery is a guy a paired up with who released a series of books on how to build your own machine shop.. from scrap materials.

these books are awesome for guys who are constant tinkerers and people who think outside the box. i recently bought a book about casting small parts in rubber and another on small parts plastic injection moulding. he even had a few books on making your own rifle barrels. diclaimer- the gun books are all circa 1900 so don't expect any saigas.sad.png

everythime i got a catalog it cost me 75 bucks. sadly, lindsay just closed his doors last month. i was going to post a thread to give guys a heads up, but when i recieved my last order, it appears someone has picked up his torch. when i get the chance, i'll send you a PM with any info i have

• Like 1