55 gn Wolf Data...

I don't know if any one is interested in this, but I recently ran some Polymer coated (not the laquer stuff), 55 grain FMJ Wollf over the Chronograph out of my 16", Norinco BWK-92, which has a 1-12, chrome-lined bore. I don't have the lot number handy (will add that later), but here goes.

Average = 2823 fps (3300 fps advertised - must be out of a 21"+ barrel)

Extreme spread = 55.5

Standard Deviation = 42

Accuracy wasn't exceptional, but really not that bad either - ran about 2" @ 50m and (+/-) 4" at 100m from a sandbagged bench rest. Still pretty"filthy" on the gas pistol/bore and has a funny smell after firing.

Not really impressive compared to say, Most European NATO surplus, "real" IMI, Guatamalan or "true" M193 ball, but not too bad for what they want ($$$) for it - compared to other stuff.

All rounds fed 100% and no problems out of 200 rounds tested. (BTW - I have never had a .223, Wolf ammo-related malfunction out of my Galil or my Norinco in over 6000 rounds...)

Just fyi,

Macbeau

I don't know if any one is interested in this, but I recently ran some Polymer coated (not the laquer stuff), 55 grain FMJ Wollf over the Chronograph out of my 16", Norinco BWK-92, which has a 1-12, chrome-lined bore. I don't have the lot number handy (will add that later), but here goes.

Extreme spread = 55.5

Standard Deviation = 42

Accuracy wasn't exceptional, but really not that bad either - ran about 2" @ 50m and (+/-) 4" at 100m from a sandbagged bench rest. Still pretty"filthy" on the gas pistol/bore and has a funny smell after firing.

Not really impressive compared to say, Most European NATO surplus, "real" IMI, Guatamalan or "true" M193 ball, but not too bad for what they want ($$$) for it - compared to other stuff.

All rounds fed 100% and no problems out of 200 rounds tested. (BTW - I have never had a .223, Wolf ammo-related malfunction out of my Galil or my Norinco in over 6000 rounds...)

Just fyi,

Macbeau

Thanks for posting. Interested in outcome.

I have Saiga 16" conversion and I shoot wolf for training/fun/practice all the time. Never had an issue either. Not what I'd choose for SHTF carry but the cost is very good for general consumption.

Extreme spread = 55.5

Standard Deviation = 42

Definitely interested! That looks like more of a velocity drop (almost 500 fps) than I've ever read about before, when comparing a 20" barrel to a 16" barrel, using NATO-spec 55 gr ammo. It would be interesting to chronograph some of the same batch of Wolf through a longer barrel, and see if the problem is with the advertised velocity (rather than a shorter barrel).

Thank you for the information!

;>)

WOW! Not only do you have a noticable drop in velocity, you've got one in knockdown as well. Here's the math using the 55 grain bullet:

3250 fps - 1290 ft/lbs of knockdown

3200 fps - 1251 ft/lbs of knockdown

2823 fps - 974 ft/lbs of knockdown ( macbeau's 16" Saiga )

2350 fps - 675 ft/lbs of knockdown ( ironhead's 16" Saiga )

2250 fps - 618 ft/lbs of knockdown ( ironhead's 20" Saiga )

This drop will explain why our troops are having trouble taking out the bad guys in Iraq with their 14" M4's.

(velocity x velocity x bullet weight / 450240 = ft/lbs knockdown)

Edited by Hylndr
WOW! Not only do you have a noticable drop in velocity, you've got one in knockdown as well.

Actually, ironhead's '2250' & '2350' numbers were for 7.62 ammo (took me a couple of passes to notice it myself)...

Oops! Thanks for bringing that up Bob. I have a very severe sinus headache this morning & it's affecting the "comprende" part of my brain, or else I would've caught it as well. The heavier bullet will change the figures for ft/lbs.

Sorry for the mistake.

Taking the new bullet weight (122 gr.) into account, here's the correction:

2250 fps - 1371 ft/lbs

2350 fps - 1496 ft/lbs

Edited by Hylndr