can saigas take ar or mini14 mags? qumb question

I was just wondering since i have stock 10 rounders ar and mini 14 mags... i don't have my rifle in hand yet therefore i can't try it out. can you make any mods to the mags?

I have been playing with and AR galil adapter, lot of mod to it to make it work

on the Saiga plus the mags have to be Mod too big time, still I havent

finish to play with it, drop the stuff for a while, no time, but I guess it can be done

just a lot of work to make it work right, with out mods to the gun.

Now that you mention it I may pick the project up in the next few weeks

to see if I can make something out of it.

Edited by vjor
I was just wondering since i have stock 10 rounders ar and mini 14 mags... i don't have my rifle in hand yet therefore i can't try it out. can you make any mods to the mags?

I do not have my .223 Saiga yet, but I do have the orlite mags. The Mini is about 1/4" shorter front the back. About a 1/4" or more narrower lacks a front locking notch and the rear locking notch is lower on the Mini and much more abbreviated. Don't know if there is an adapter out there, but you would probably still need a bullet guide, and the mag would probably have to be modified to the point that you would not be able to be used in your Mini (if that is your goal). Get the $10 orlites, a bullet guide, and be done with it. Just my $0.02.

In a word no.

I have been playing with and AR galil adapter, lot of mod to it to make it work

on the Saiga plus the mags have to be Mod too big time, still I havent

finish to play with it, drop the stuff for a while, no time, but I guess it can be done

just a lot of work to make it work right, with out mods to the gun.

Now that you mention it I may pick the project up in the next few weeks

to see if I can make something out of it.

you might want to take another look at that mag adapter . I've stuck them in S-.223's , you shouldn't have to do anything to the mag at all . But you sure gotta know you want it in the gun , there ain't no going back .

do they have orlite 10 rounders? i don't want to do the 922 game :rolleyes:

Crud. I thought that you were trying to eventually go to a higher cap mag. If you are looking for (or have to stay with 10 rounders because your state still has an AWB) then I would just stay with the orgional saiga 10 rounders and forget converting it over to something else. Not sure what you are paying for the Ruger Mini mags but the 10 round saigas are going for $21/mag, and you would not have to do any converting to your weapon.

here is a thought, though its not quite what you want. I was thinking one could get a Steel ar-15 mag (a steel mini 14 mag would work too-no stainless just plain steel) and file it to fit into the magwell. Once you get it to feed, tack weld it into place. Then you've got somthing similar to a california compliant type carbine; you get the 30 round capacity w/o having to be 922®... unfortunately loading the mag would be a real PITA. Most people want detachable mags, but I envision this as a stepping stone towards that goal. Actualy my original idea was to chop an AR-15 lower so i could weld in and aluminum 7.62x39mm mag, till I found out the aluminum 7.62x39mm mags are rare, sacred objects which should never be touched by bubba's hands.

I've got one tore apart to reconfigure as a micro Galil with the mag adapter . I'll post up some pic's when I get it done . You have to get your clearance in the sides of the trunnion and you'll have to fit the feed ramp so it'll sink into the top of the mag . Thats the main , the rest of it's just a matter of shoving it up in there and getting the feed angle right . Then weld it quick .

I seem to recall that BRG3 was working on a drop-in adapter for mini 14 mags some time ago. Maybe he can help you out.

do they have orlite 10 rounders? i don't want to do the 922 game :rolleyes:

You can get Bulgarian 5 and 10 rounders, but I'm not sure you can avoid 922r this way. I'm not sure but I think that once the gun is modded to take a different style mag, of which hi-caps are available, you have crossed into 922 territory even if the only ones you own are 10 rounders.

If you want more stock mags they can be found. I saw several at the store today.

(FWIW, I know why you're going there - I went there myself. I've got 4 left-over Mini-14 mags that were 100% reliable for me. I figured out that you can adapt them, with a little metal addition up front, and a little metal addition at the rear. No big deal - but what's the point? Reliable Mini-14 mags are worth more as reliable Mini-14 mags, than they are as Saiga mags [even if they add to the 'compliance' count]. You can get beautiful 35-rd Orlites from CDNN for $10 - and I might guess your reliable Mini-14 mags are worth more than that 'as is'... )

Just my opinion. Bottom line: why swap the 'rare' reliable Mini-14 mags for 'available-every-day, super-reliable, mil-spec' Saiga .223 mags? IMO, you're better off selling any reliable Mini-14 mags you might have for what they're worth (I got $35 a piece for my PMIs, a year ago), and buying twice-, or three-times, or seven-times as many mil-spec Saiga .223 mags.

My opinion, FWIW...