What gas setting works best ??

If I remember correctly (manual's locked up downstairs in gun room), the number two's setting on gas cylinder is usually for 2-3/4" shells, and the number one is for 3" (I might be thinking backwards though). Never having had any 3" shells to shoot, I stick to setting # 2 and 2-3/4" and never remember having any problems with faulty ejection.

Hi sakom92s,

Just make sure that little "oreo" cookie shaped piece of metal goes on top of the bolt's gas piston, and you should be okay :lolol: Actually, I think it's almost impossible to assemble the Saiga's gas system wrong (what's it comprised of, two parts in total maybe?). Just remember (come to think of it?), setting 2 is for 2-3/4" shells while setting 1 is usually reserved for 3"ers.

How can I be sure that I have assembled the gas port correctly after deassembly?

...ok...that was a stupid question - I'll try to refrase it.... (with my bad english ;)

The problem is that when I put the gas chamber blind plug back (turn it clockwise) should I screw it in all the way?

Is that the "setting 1"? Or is "setting 1" some other position before the plug is fully screwed in?

OK today I took the saiga out to shoot today, on setting 1 I fired 2 3/4 remington nitro buck and remington nitro mag#4 and it seemed to operate fine but if I used reduced recoil on that setting it didnt eject.

So my point is that Setting 1 is good all around except low brass and reduced recoil loads true?

• 1 month later...

I got something goofy. When I screw mine all the way in it is at setting #2. I have shot AA xtra-lite target loads from this position and I have backed it out half a turn to #1 and shot the same loads. It worked great at both settings. So if my gun is at #2 all the way down and not #1 then which is my magnum setting? I could also ask it this way: Do I make the lug tigher or looser to shoot magnums?