Saiga Reliability

Rather than hijack the other thread Ill start a new one here.

Ive been visiting the site on and off for some time now, and Ive seen several posts from people with issues getting it to feed properly, shells deforming and the like.

Do you consider the Saiga-12 to be reliable for home defense, SHTF, etc? Or more for competitions, range fun and all that? I was excited about it since it is built off the AK technology, which has a good reputation in combat. Im still very excited about the gun and cant wait for mine to arrive, but some of the posts around here make me wonder if I should also pick up a Remington/Mossberg for defense and leave the Saiga for general fun. Also, with the AGP 10 round mags, from what I understand 9+1=no problem, and 10+1=issues? (still waiting on my Saiga and 10 round mags to arrive, so I have not had a chance to play with it myself yet).

Im not trying to imply its a substandard weapon or anything, I just want to know - would you trust your life with this firearm?

(edit: yep, already searched)

Edited by frr

Mine has been 100% reliable with the factory 5 rounder, just make sure you're on the right gas setting for the ammo you're using. I haven't had good luck with my 10 rounders, I need to do some more breaking in on them to see if they'll become reliable.

I have some trigger time with the Saiga-12 but a lot more with a pump. Even a well trained pump operator will occasionally short stroke in a stressful situation. I wish I had time to do some hard study but I would say the malfunction rate of the Saiga-12 is about what I saw in malfunction rates for pumps - not high but you better train for it if you want to use it for that purpose. IMHO.

Rather than hijack the other thread Ill start a new one here.

Ive been visiting the site on and off for some time now, and Ive seen several posts from people with issues getting it to feed properly, shells deforming and the like.

Do you consider the Saiga-12 to be reliable for home defense, SHTF, etc? Or more for competitions, range fun and all that? I was excited about it since it is built off the AK technology, which has a good reputation in combat. Im still very excited about the gun and cant wait for mine to arrive, but some of the posts around here make me wonder if I should also pick up a Remington/Mossberg for defense and leave the Saiga for general fun. Also, with the AGP 10 round mags, from what I understand 9+1=no problem, and 10+1=issues? (still waiting on my Saiga and 10 round mags to arrive, so I have not had a chance to play with it myself yet).

Im not trying to imply its a substandard weapon or anything, I just want to know - would you trust your life with this firearm?

(edit: yep, already searched)

Your always gonna hear the bad experance posts once in awhile as everyones gun or there skills in general are different.Also theres always a dud made once in a while,nothings always 100%.This pertains to anything from mags to condoms :unsure: If somethings bad your gonna hear about it.For example most know that Promags dont have a great reputation or Jap bikes are crap( :devil: I kid,I kid) you know what i mean.

Edited by Pointer

Yeah what you are saying makes a lot of sense. Kind of like on ebay or gunbroker, I tend to ignore the 1000 positive replies and read each and every one of the 10 negatives. Ah well, as I said before, I cant wait for my Saiga to arrive, it will make my AR seem like a pea-shooter :lol:

)

Your always gonna hear the bad experance posts once in awhile as everyones gun or there skills in general are different.Also theres always a dud made once in a while,nothings always 100%.This pertains to anything from mags to condoms :unsure: If somethings bad your gonna hear about it.For example most know that Promags dont have a great reputation or Jap bikes are crap( :devil: I kid,I kid) you know what i mean.

"condoms- THAT explaines a lot of people!

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Feb 4 2007, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
)

"condoms- THAT explaines a lot of people!

one of the comeback lines is "the only excuse for you is the rubber broke"