SHTF Ammo

Disclaimer: I'm bored at work...

What I would carry depends a lot on what type of SHTF situation has occured, but here's what I have at my disposal:

6x 35rd Orlites for the Saiga .223, 10x 30 round mags for my RRA AR-15, 4x 12 rd mags for my XD-40, 4 14 rd mags for my CZ P-01 9mm, a 30rd bandoleer for my 7+1 Rem 870 HD 12ga, plus lots of hunting rifles, shotguns, and other handguns with a decent supply of ammo for everything.

My basic plan is to drive my 4x4 Jeep to my cabin in the mountains via pre-planned back roads. I can get to these back roads in 15 minutes from my house, and my house is only 15 minutes from my work. My cabin is on 100 acres of private land. There I have ammo, food, water, fuel, a generator, camping gear, and other supplies stashed, plus an abundance of game to hunt, and no neighbors for a few miles and a very defensable position. The cabin has it's own well powered by the generator, and also has a good creek about .5 miles away for backup water supply and fishing.

No I don't have a Red Dawn fantasy. Ok, well maybe a little...

--Denali

Disclaimer: I'm bored at work...

What I would carry depends a lot on what type of SHTF situation has occured, but here's what I have at my disposal:

6x 35rd Orlites for the Saiga .223, 10x 30 round mags for my RRA AR-15, 4x 12 rd mags for my XD-40, 4 14 rd mags for my CZ P-01 9mm, a 30rd bandoleer for my 7+1 Rem 870 HD 12ga, plus lots of hunting rifles, shotguns, and other handguns with a decent supply of ammo for everything.

My basic plan is to drive my 4x4 Jeep to my cabin in the mountains via pre-planned back roads. I can get to these back roads in 15 minutes from my house, and my house is only 15 minutes from my work. My cabin is on 100 acres of private land. There I have ammo, food, water, fuel, a generator, camping gear, and other supplies stashed, plus an abundance of game to hunt, and no neighbors for a few miles and a very defensable position. The cabin has it's own well powered by the generator, and also has a good creek about .5 miles away for backup water supply and fishing.

No I don't have a Red Dawn fantasy. Ok, well maybe a little...

--Denali

I work 70ft under ground!! If SHTF and if so I would be one of the first to know I am just coming up the ladder and getting down like its 1999!!

Edited by Stratton

bigger question....how far do i have to carry it?

seriously....if i'm buggin out in the car....i got a lot in mind....if i'm going on foot....i'm planning on my 9mm with 4 hi cap mags and a couple hundred extrad rounds., a 10/22 with folding stock in the bag, a couple bricks of ammo, and my Rem 870 with 100 rd of buckshot.....if i can still walk with all that....i may carry some other supplies....lol

fucking lead is heavy!.....

ideally...i'd have a myself a place to hide out, but i don't have that...yet.....would probably have to make a stand at home....

bigger question....how far do i have to carry it?

seriously....if i'm buggin out in the car....i got a lot in mind....if i'm going on foot....i'm planning on my 9mm with 4 hi cap mags and a couple hundred extrad rounds., a 10/22 with folding stock in the bag, a couple bricks of ammo, and my Rem 870 with 100 rd of buckshot.....if i can still walk with all that....i may carry some other supplies....lol

fucking lead is heavy!.....

ideally...i'd have a myself a place to hide out, but i don't have that...yet.....would probably have to make a stand at home....

If you are buggin out via car/truck then you can bring all you want, but it is still good to have your basic gear pared down to a backpackable amount in case you have to hoof it. Not sure as to youalls location but out here a downed tree can reroute you 100's of miles!

Wow...this is pretty cool. I was just inquiring about ammo choices (ie: Federal, Winchester(Stop laughing), etc).

Lessee, I don't really have much of a backup plan for a real-world, whatever should hit the fan scenario, other than a full-out-and-out Zombie attack.

In either case, I'd pack my new .223 Saiga + 2x30 rd. mags, Glock 17, and SKS w/ whatever ammo I could carry out of there, which isn't much, I have to say. I'm poor and am slow to acquire bulk numbers of rounds.

Seeing as how I don't have anywhere to run to, I'd link up with the G/F's Dad and cousin and head off into the Northwoods for a Grandparent's cabin. Water would be nearby as would be a source and means for fishing.

Defense might be an issue, but if things really got that bad, I don't think we'd have much time to diddle around, trying to figure out a complex plan.

Would backup arrive? That would depend on the neighbors :smoke:

I would rely on:

- Mossberg 590 (complete with bayo), with a few boxes of 00, #6 shot (for the birds :)), and slugs.

- 7.62x39 Saiga, several mags and a half-case of ammo.

- Several knives, including folding, survival, bayonet, etc.

- some non-perishable edible basics

- various toiletries, tools and clothing

- fishing/hunting necessities

- and a big 'ol boat of a sedan, keeps on going and going.

EAA Witness in 45 ACP and/or a CZ-75 are on the wishlist...

I would not wait at the house, the nieghborhood is bad enough without rioting/looting. I'd make a run for it, pick up a pal or two, and head to a remote location on the mainland. Haven't given this much thought yet, but ya gotta start somewhere.

Edited by hellgrün-K

the lacquered wolf (principle arms plant in russia make) should hold up in all weather. there are also some odd brand plastic hulled 12g rounds out there. for 22? shit, just ziplock a 50 round box. that should feed you for 50 days, by itself. you casn wax coat your rounds (if you dont expose them to wear and tear and movement, like in a wrapped ammo box, like 12g slug boxes), oil the crap out of the others and hope they dont corrode, or check and wipe your ammo every day. or laquer your ammo, like the russians do....its really not a bad idea storage-wise, if you think about it.

by the way heres some ammo that DID sit for ten years rotting that I fired out of my s12 without a problem:

post-83-1110821139_thumb.jpg

heres my original post on it:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=3522&

Hello

I would think that if it came down to having to "shag", then more than likely a toxin is involved. Air, water, nuclear fallout, etc.

In that case, one would think first about having the required commodities to survive (think: "CLEAN WATER, RESPIRATOR!!!") and secondly the means to protect your provisions from the masses w/ "Roofie Mentality" ("Whose job is it to rescue me from my roof and provide for me?") and the means to leave the immediate area (read: "gasoline stash")

I reckon when you have the required supplies and means to flee with 'em, that's the time to calculate how to protect 'em.

I want each member of my family/crew to have a handgun they're familiar with and at least a couple of clips for each one. I'm kinda partial to the venerable .45 ACP.

Couple of shotties (I only have one S12, but two would be nice....) and probably my .45 ACP Beretta Storm, just so I don't hafta lug different ammo types around.

-Maybe the AK pistol I'm gonna receive in a day or two....But, that's different ammo.

I'm thinking weapons primarily to protect what's mine, at close-quarters. I don't see the need to take any long-range shots in a "flee" scenario. If I were holing up in da crib, well, maybe I would want to disable a vehicle or something, but otherwise.....

Also, if the evironment is toxic, then hunting/fishing may not be advisable. Stored MRE's or canned goods may be the best ticket. And a comprehensive medical kit is mandatory.

We learned a lot during the hurricane fiasco here on the Gulf coast. One was that the majority of slacker-types will make zero preparations and depend on others, either their generousity or just take their shit thug-style. Also, when deliveries dry up, so do the commodities we take for granted, in an amazing short period of time.

No water, no gas, no food, no room on the expressways, etc.

Also, may be a bit of an oddity in that situation, but I would refuse to forsake my doggers unless I absolutely had no choice. That means traveling crates and provisions for them, as well. Many, many dogs perished while stalled in traffic during the 'canes 'cause their owners had no water to give them in the baking-hot sun.

-Obviously, a few minutes of preparation pays huge dividends "down the road" (literally...)

Hope this wasn't too off-topic...

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

We learned a lot during the hurricane fiasco here on the Gulf coast. One was that the majority of slacker-types will make zero preparations and depend on others, either their generousity or just take their shit thug-style. Also, when deliveries dry up, so do the commodities we take for granted, in an amazing short period of time.

No water, no gas, no food, no room on the expressways, etc.

You are 100% right. Back when I was stuck in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, I tried to talk my sister and her family (who lived there also) into stashing a little food & water (at least WATER, for God's sake), for them & the kids, to have available when the area experienced a major quake. They had 3 kids, plus mom & dad - five total. So what did they do? They put 2 gallons of bottled water in a closet. No food, and just 2 gallons of water. If the city water supply went down, they would have enough water for one day, tops, assuming the weather was cool, and they didn't have to cook anything, or wash their hands after taking a dump. After that, they would be out fighting 'tooth & nail' for stagnant swimming pool water (if the pools hadn't cracked & drained from the quake), with the rest of the idiots & thugs...

It's not a matter of 'if' the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia gets hit by a major quake, it's simply a matter of when. And my extended family didn't listen to me - even though I'm a professional geologist. So don't depend on your extended family listening to you, either.

(Maybe I'm just completely unconvincing - after all, I'm not a politician or an actor... ;>)

In my opinion, it doesn't matter where you live: if you're in earthquake country, plan ahead. If you're in hurricane country, plan ahead. Or tornado country, blizzard country, flood country, who-knows-what country, plan ahead. It's simply a matter of being a good neighbor (or maybe, at a minimum, just 'taking care of yours'). In Kalifornia, I made sure I could provide for me & my wife, and my neighbors on both sides (3 retired folks, all over 70 years of age, one of them stone blind), for 2 weeks, food & water. We lived about 60 miles away from my sister & her family, so they would have been 'on their own' - and also 100% 'sh!t-out-of-luck' - if a major quake hit, even when I still lived there.

It hasn't happened yet, but it will.

FWIW, if you need a little extra prodding to simply take care of your own family, even the American Red Cross agrees with me (last time I checked). Better to drop a few bucks on some stuff (fill in the blank) that you might or might not need, than to find you & your family, & your neighbors 'up sh!t creek'...