Guys, I just wanna know from the ammo learned among you. Is Wolf OK for the .308? How bout South African? We all know that ammo prices are soaring. What's the best "bang" for your buck on .308 ammo right now? Links?

Thnx,

Badman :smoke:

Honestly? There are no deals out there right now. Pakistani and Indian ammo are at around .25+ cent a round. South African is running $50/battle back - before shipping (= .36 cents/round). The good new is that you can get Pak and Indian and SA at the moment - there just aren't any deals. You either need to suck it up and pay or take up reloading (and there aren't many deals on surplus reloading components either...)

I plan to just wait a while.

(BTW- I remember when 7.62x39 was only available in this country via Norma - at $20 a box (circa 1983/1984), but pre-ban AK's could be had for under $300. Something will come along.... one day.... :cryss:

Thnx for the replies guys, even though it wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear. I've read here that you want to stay away from the Indian. I was mainly talking plinking ammo or surplus. But, it seems that even that is expensive nowadays. Anyone against the Wolf steel cased ammo for the Saiga? :unsure:

Edited by badman400
Thnx for the replies guys, even though it wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear. I've read here that you want to stay away from the Indian. I was mainly talking plinking ammo or surplus. But, it seems that even that is expensive nowadays. Anyone against the Wolf steel cased ammo for the Saiga? :unsure:

I follow THIS SITE pretty closely. The guy who updates it does so about every week to 10 days.

Wolf is not bad. In fact, many S-308 shooters claim it is the most accurate factory ammo they use. If you look around some of the other boards, it's usually the FAL, AR-10 and M-14/M1A shooters that take issue with Wolf and Indian ammo. Wolf gets dinged for the coated steel cases and Indian for the quality control (reports of dirt and grass mixed in with the powder on some pulled rounds). With the Indian, the 70's made OFV headstamp (usually on bandoliers) seems to be okay. The biggest issues seem to come from the 90's made stuff that came in 10-round cellophane wrappings. I have shot some of all of it in my S-308 and it has all gone "bang" and not "KA-BOOM". Pak & Indian accuracy is nothing to write home about, but it ain't horrible either.

The Pakistani isn't the pretties ammo, but quality seems fine. SA is probably the nicest of what's available now, but it isn't .17 cents per round anymore either - more like .30 cents, if bought in 1000 round cases. Accuracy with SA is kinda typical for "NATO-ish" grade mil-surp 7.62x51 - Not bad, but don't expect MOA or less...

+1 on the Pakistani POF (Comes in yellow boxes) - decent stuff - made for their G3 and L1A1 rifles...

How about the Chinese Norinco ammo? Does anyone know about that? I'm wondering because I saw some at a store last week.

All of the Norinco rifle ammo I have used has been excellent stuff, but I have no experience with their .308 (the copper washed stuff). I really liked their .223 and 7.62x39 (mild steel core). Very reliable, consistant and decent accuracy. I found Norinco 9mm to be crap. Not especially accurate and about 1 in 10 primers would fall out during firing and fall into the action of my pistol.

the norinco stuff did ok for me but i didn't shoot enough of it to really swear by it.

the silver bear stuff from cheaper than dirt is excellent. excellent groups for the money. don't be worried about steel cased ammo in the saiga. thats what it was made to eat.

as far as the pricing goes, just check all ammo sites daily.

i'm the one that located the silver bear at cheaper than dirt and posted it here for eveyone.

i was just killing time one night about to go to bed when i stumbled across that deal ($3.19 a box!). along with the pmc 30/06 ammo for .78 cents a box.

you just have to keep searching and you will get lucky. when you do find a deal, buy as much of it as you can. it might have to last you awhile.

i'm always on the look out and will post anything awesome that i come across.

good luck ya'll!

Honestly? There are no deals out there right now. Pakistani and Indian ammo are at around .25+ cent a round.

400 rounds for $1 sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Er. At .25 a round, it'd be 4 rounds for $1

But that isn't what he said. He said .25 cents.

25 cents => 4 rounds for $1

.25 dollars => 4 rounds for $1

.25 cents => 400 rounds for $1

Do you and MacBeau work for Verizon perchance?

Honestly? There are no deals out there right now. Pakistani and Indian ammo are at around .25+ cent a round.

400 rounds for $1 sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Er. At .25 a round, it'd be 4 rounds for $1

But that isn't what he said. He said .25 cents.

25 cents => 4 rounds for $1

.25 dollars => 4 rounds for $1

.25 cents => 400 rounds for $1

Do you and MacBeau work for Verizon perchance?

I've heard about that. My fault for misreading it. But...you very well know what he meant. The author of the story you mention was in the dark as to what he was doing, so it's quite a bit different.

But...you very well know what he meant.

I do not presume to read minds. I know only what he said.

Bah, you're full-o-shit. You knew what he meant.

;) Still, you were just being funny too, and nothing wrong with that around here.

I scored about 2k rounds of 308 softpoint silverbear from cheaperthandirt a couple of months ago for something like $140/1000.

i was just killing time one night about to go to bed when i stumbled across that deal ($3.19 a box!). along with the pmc 30/06 ammo for .78 cents a box.

Ouch! I paid $219/1000 shipped of the silverbear at cheaperthandirt.com just last week.

yea squirrel, it was a very temporary thing. it didn't last long. maybe about 24 hours.....or less.

once again, just keep your eyes open and check often.

you know, like so what if you went to that site yesterday and the day before.

make it a habit to visit them daily before bed or dinner.

a little secret..........i've noticed a pattern.

but not sure if i should reveal.......

ok ok.

since i'm a nice guy and i like helping people out.

all the awesome deals i've stumbled upon, (literally), have been a little after midnight, in the middle of the week.

not sure if thats when they update their prices on their web pages or what. but it has always been after midnight, on a week day.

i'll admit i waited a little while to see if the CTD silver bear 308 thing was legit. as soon as it checked out, i was on here letting ya'll know "ya better get it before it's gone!"

some took the bait, and are happy.

others hesitated, and it cost dearly.

i did all i could do, and it feels good!

good luck!

But...you very well know what he meant.

I do not presume to read minds. I know only what he said.

Bah, you're full-o-shit. You knew what he meant.

;) Still, you were just being funny too, and nothing wrong with that around here.

*sigh* There is at least one on every board I have been to - a freelance editor and wise guy.

Fine. :rolleyes:

To correct my missives above, Pak and Indian are going for around $200 to $250 (US Dollars) per 1000 rounds and South African is going for about $300 (US Dollars) per 1000 rounds (from AIM). Wolf, when you can find it, is about as expensive as Indian or Pak. You do the math on what that works out to per rounds (currently in US cents). None of this includes shipping charges. Hence, in my opinion, there are really no bargains out there on .308 Winchester or Surplus 7.62x51mm. :haha:

Thanks to TWGLADF for the pointer. B)

Bought 1k of the wolf when it first came out, it shot alright however the primers in many of these had ruptured. In other words there was gas leakage from the primers. No damage but this is a dangerous situation. Wolf sent me 1k of the so. african stuff which is excellent. On follow up, there was some quality control issues on the primers some were silver, some were gold in color the silver ones were poorly made . As a result it was off the market for a while. I beleive the problem was corrected. In addition the Chinese copper washed 7.62 is really good as well, leaves cooper shavings in M1A actions. Accuracy is good.

The last .308 ammo I bought looked like 1982 surplus S&B. I paid $10 a box for it. There's a gun show near where I live next weekend & I'm planning to go. Hopefully the guy I bought both my Saigas from will be there & has the EXACT SAME ammo for $4.50 a box. Of course, the price could've gone up since the last time I saw him.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• 2 weeks later...