Saiga .308 Accuracy?

I went to my local gun store and looked at a saiga .308 16". The fit and finish seemed really rough, actually a lot rougher than my Saiga 12. I examined the crown and that seemed even rougher than my SAR-1 which is a horribly inaccurate weapon. Tooling marks were very deep on all machined parts. and none looked like they had been gone over for a second clean up pass.

So, I was wondering, What kind of accuracy have people got with their Saiga .308's? What's it supposed to be rated at? 4MOA? Are all saiga .308's as rough as the one I saw, or was my experience isolated? Has anyone had better improved accuracy with the 22" barrel? Has anyone had the barrel recrowned and seen a great improvement in accuracy? Has anyone added redstar arms adjustable trigger and seen a great improvement in accuracy?

Thanks.

I've a 16" Saiga .308. I have only been to the range with it once to sight it in and enjoy it a bit. After roughly sighting in the rifle I used the next 5 shots @ 100 yards to get an idea how it would group as I had to leave the range early. It shot a nice 1.5" group. Considering I was using surplus Australian Nato spec ammo, had only put around 25 rounds throught the rifle at this point, and I wasn't trying all that hard I'd say that was pretty darn good! See picture below:

saigagroup1.jpg

More pictures of this fine rifle can be found here:

Scoped Saiga .308

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to get the 20" but it looks like the 16" is ACCURATE! BUT seriously, I'm a recoil WUSS. How is the recoil? If it's bad, would a butt recoil pad help? Right now I have a FAL and it has NO recoil.

It doesn't matter how good the gun is - if the recoil is massive, I WON'T enjoy/shoot it. Please be honest. I'm also thinking of a VEPR II in .308 but that's almost twice the money so...

Bamababoy, what did you mean by "trick it out"?

BTW, just got my Saiga .223 a couple of weeks ago and that is a great gun!

Thanks,

jAK-47

My first one has had the trigger convertion SAW pg, Tapco folder, and I'm working on the front hand guard (really want a scout scope mount) I havn't received my 2nd one yet (any day now) the recoil was not bad at all I'm adding a recoil buffer, but have not shot with it yet .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

nice riles guys!i was lookin at those other pics of who ever's saiga with the mountains in the backround.beautiful countryside!i just wish i could get out of flat terrible nj and go find some real nice hills. here's a group i made at just 50 yards with portiguese nato stuff.i hit 2 liter soda bottles at 300 and 200 yards after i sighted the scope in.took like 8 shots and than was sighted in.also at a different range i placed shotgun clays on the backstop bout 150 yards away and was hittin them.those aren't the easyiest to hit.they look really small at 150 yards. :super:

post-6-1096571861.jpg

• 1 month later...