I've got a Kimber Tactical that I keep in my dresser drawer at night, I usually leave it mag in, no round chambered. But as I read more and more about home defense on this board, I realize that if there is a home invasion, (meaning, I am home when they come in) they will most likely be armed, and I'd prefer they not hear me rack the slide. My question is, can I store that pistol locked, loaded, hammer back on safe? Or more importantly, how LONG can I store it like that without it wearing out a spring?

I've got a Kimber Tactical that I keep in my dresser drawer at night, I usually leave it mag in, no round chambered. But as I read more and more about home defense on this board, I realize that if there is a home invasion, (meaning, I am home when they come in) they will most likely be armed, and I'd prefer they not hear me rack the slide. My question is, can I store that pistol locked, loaded, hammer back on safe? Or more importantly, how LONG can I store it like that without it wearing out a spring?

If it were me I would store it loaded with the hammer down. all you have to do is thumb the hammer and let em pop. On a carry stand point i would carry hammer back and safty on :up:

The 1911 was designed to be carried "cocked and locked." IE: Hammer back, round in the chamber, safety on. My Kimber II has been in my dresser drawer like this since I bought it. I changed out the main spring housing a few months ago because I didn't like the plastic one Kimber put in mine, but the spring is the original.

If it were me I would store it loaded with the hammer down. all you have to do is thumb the hammer and let em pop.

Bad advice. That's how holes end up in walls, TVs, and people. And the last time I checked, "It slipped" isn't all that great of a defense in court.

If you want to carry/store/etc a gun hammer down on a loaded chamber, get something with a de-cocker. Otherwise, leave it empty chambered, or "cocked and locked".

<exit Saint JMB soapbox, stage right>

you can leave the hammer back for years with no problems. It is no differant that any of the striker guns like the Glock. It stays cocked all of the time. My Colt Gold Cup has had the hammer back for better than 7 years now. I shoot it from time to time, but it is my carry gun, so it stays loaded with hammer back and saftey on.

Edited by Banshee

I don't like the idea of locked and cocked storage. Lock and cocked carry should ALWAYS mean that holster has a sturdy retainer strap

between the hammer and the firingpin ! Without that strap store it with a mag 1 less than full and the hammer down on an empty chamber

To be quiet, pull the slide back and lock it. Practice locking the slide back take a couple steps and point -release slide - identify shoot/no shoot.

Edited by G O B

Dang, this all seems like good advice. My hammer has a safety on it (I can't remember what it's called) but basically, if you bump the trigger, you have to be physically holding the trigger down for the hammer to drop ALL THE WAY. If you decock it, and take your finger off the trigger while you ride the hammer forward, it'll stop the hammer half way. Is this called a hammer safety?? Is it safe to store it this way? I'd say the next best thing is with the slide open. Thanks guys.

Shane

p.s. I don't know why I'm so against locked, cocked safety on.

I'm not against going locked, cocked safety on... but I am wary of having only one fail safe. I am more comfortable with a couple...maybe you are too. It depends on your situation IE. immediate threats are likely in your 'hood vs. unintentional discharge due to other non-hostile in your domicile.

I'm not against going locked, cocked safety on... but I am wary of having only one fail safe. I am more comfortable with a couple...maybe you are too. It depends on your situation IE. immediate threats are likely in your 'hood vs. unintentional discharge due to other non-hostile in your domicile.

the 1911 has two safeties, the thumb safety on the side and a grip safety. and if it is a series 80 there is an additional firing pin block that will not let the firing pin move unless the trigger is in the rear most position.

putting the hammer down on a loaded chamber in a 1911 is a very good way of having AD and shooting somthing you didn't intend. If while you are thumbing the hammer down it slips, it will bang and may even break your thumb on top of what ever you just shot.

Edited by Banshee
may even break your thumb on top of what ever you just shot.

I'm not disagreeing but.... break your thumb? Wow.

if you have your thumb up behind the side when the gun fires, the slide will slam back bending the thumb back, maybe breaking it if you are lucky.

Edited by Banshee

The Series 80 type 1911 will not fire if the hammer slips from your thumb. Thats one of the reasons the firing pin safety was added. With the older style you can get an extra powered firing pin spring that will help. If you areally worried about the noise then keep it cocked and locked. Or get a revolver. Are you the only one that will use this gun for HD? If not you have to have something that everyone can use easily. I have a 3 inch barrled M64 S&W that belongs to my wife that I use for a primary HD gun. She handles it well.