"SHTF" = WTF

I agree totally with JWarren regarding a balanced approach to preparation.

I take a kind of militant attitude toward this subject because I see so many guys living out some kind of apocalyptic fantasy while neglecting the more mundane aspects of preparation for the future, in particular the "far" future of retirement.

Wow John, sounds like an exciting time of life for you!

Hey, I just want to build a bunker for fun! BTW it WILL be my retirement home! LOL!!!!

I also want to plant a Victory guarden... Not cuz I'm crazy....just cuz I think it's fun.....FWIW

No worries, my kids collage bills come first......

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol I'm famous.

Damn, some of those guys over there took it hard, and couldn't deal with it. I like how someone complained about being shut out of this board. From what I hear, THAT board is way more anal and prone to locking people out. :lolol: A lot of trash talk towards Bob over there. Saiga-12.com > AR15.com!

Wow Bob.... harsh crew over on ARF. Frankly, I think this was a healthy discussion. If we all shared the same experiences and perspectives, life would be sadly boring. Only through having ideas challenged and debated can they be measured for merit. I enjoyed this discussion.

-- John

This is a long thread! I kind of skimmed it. Couple of small things I thought I would share. I've cut quite a few power lines in two since this thread started and they all were aluminum. The journyman electrician I was working with said that if they were not alum, the wooden poles couldn't support the weight.

The other thing I wanted to share is that medical science now says that the benefites of drinking your urine are easily out weighed by the negative effects. Including causing dehydration.

Not meant as a flame, just an attempt to contribute. :angel:

Edited by cscharlie

What a bunch of pompous, stuck up pricks. Not naming any names, Mr. "expert", who thinks he can break forum rules just because he's such an expert "AK Building Master"..he actually called himself that in PM to me... :rolleyes:

My opinion hasn't changed.

If you really want to prepare for the future in a realistic way, invest for your retirement.

The only investment that would could compensate for the last 20 years of inflation coupled with the collapse of the dollar would be Crack Cocaine or stolen Nuclear Technology :ded::dollar:

Seriously though,the economic collapse thing I talked about in in my first posts in this thread is already happening and it's well underway now with the Chinese opting for an incremental version of their "nuclear option" on our T-Bills instead of just dumping them and hurting their own selling price too much and when grain and corn are going to increase by 70% next year and fuel could hit $10 per gallon according to the MSM you have effectively spent all of the plebe's money and they will be looking for semthing to eat and for the basics when they run out of money and the usurers refuse to extend any more credit.

15 million home repossessions?

Credit industry on it's knees?

Food and fuel doubling in price for 80 million people who already were barely making it?

All it would take is the slightest push to turn this whole country into a giant meat grinder overnight.

Edited by SOPMOD
What a bunch of pompous, stuck up pricks. Not naming any names, Mr. "expert", who thinks he can break forum rules just because he's such an expert "AK Building Master"..he actually called himself that in PM to me... :rolleyes:

Even if I were an "expert" in an area, I wouldn't have the cockiness to call myself a "master" of it. :rolleyes: What a dick.

Edited by 22_Shooter
...he's such an expert "AK Building Master"..he actually called himself that in PM to me...

Bwah ha hah hah hah hah ha ha ha!

I would rank "AK building master" somewhat up near "PBJ sandwich building master".

The real genius of Kalashnikov's design was the fact that it could be built in just about any undeveloped, 3rd world, backwater with no more industrial infrastructure than a couple bicycle repair shops. Being able to slap together a handful of finished parts for an AK involves less expertise than the usual auto brake job.

I have always thought that "arf.com = mall ninja central" - the above link only adds more fuel to that belief.

Edited by MadMax
On the issue of being prepared financially, what do you good people think of the idea of investing in Gold?

Depending on the scenario, the value of a commodity such as gold can be pretty dubious. I'd rather have the gold's current value stored in ammo cans in common MBR calibres. In in a TEOTWAWKI situation, where gold is so often presumed to be of most potential value, I'd rather have ammo with which to barter--or to defend my interests.

A "balanced" approach to SHTF, for me, means that I don't forsake either the Hurricane Zombie scenario nor the pull-your-head-out-and-plan-for-your-retirement scenario. I simply do both, and I attempt to do them with a will.

Exactly. You, sir, are not the kind of person I was addressing.

EDIT TO ADD: Seems like the invitation to meet me kinda killed the thread over there.

Edited by BobAsh
On the issue of being prepared financially, what do you good people think of the idea of investing in Gold?

Gold is skyrocketing as the dollar slides to an all time low again and again with even the Canadian dollar being worth more than the US dollar for the first time in 31 years Gold is a pricey proposition but...

The US dollar will eventually hit a 2 to 1 rate against the Euro and anyone who turned their dollars into gold at $1.41 to the Euro will have some sort of safety net while Bob Ash's retirement plan valued in dollars just lost 20%+ of it's value in the last 2 weeks:D

I hate to say it but...

I told you so :haha:

Hell,buying grain,soybean and corn futures which have gone up 70% already would also be a good investment since it will also is used to make fuel as much as food in the years to come.

On its own merit, gold is an excellent hedge on inflation. But then again, so is Real Estate.

For the purposes of building a diversified portfolio, there is a place for gold. For the adventurous speculator, any commodity, futures contract, or options contract represents opportunities.

But for planning for TEOTWAWKI, I don't get it.

You can't eat gold. You can't do much of anything with gold. If we all became Mad Max, we'll be bartering. Gold won't be high on the list of things people NEED. You'd be better off using the money you would invest in gold for buying equipment to make Bio-Desiel.

As far as the market as a whole, all of my clients are doing great with traditional stocks and bonds. Studies have proven that over the long-term, very few investment managers can beat the returns afforded by the major indices. Those indices have ups and downs. Right now, we are having a bit of concern over the sub-prime loans thingy.

And even that is BS.

Market have proven that they can't focus on more than one or two disasters at a time. They have to pick one that will ruin us all. Right now, it's the subprime mortgage issue. Last year at this time, it was the price of oil per barrel.

Well, during last week, oil hit $83 dollars a barrel-- the highest its ever been using Constant Dollars. No one really even noticed-- because it occured on the day that the Feds cut interest rates 50 basis points. And besides, Oil fears are so passe' now.

No... the real reason that the markets have been hick-uping lately is because they NEED to. The market blew through two MAJOR technical resistance levels without testing them. Markets can't do that. There are rules in markets. Those rules can be "bent" but they don't get broken. Over time, those level WILL be validated by testing. A lot of people have been concerned with the market lately, but they tend to forget that the market has been on FIRE the first two (and almost 3) quarters of this year.

-- John

I got respect for the guys who are big enough to see beyond the fact that just because I'm not the same as them dosen't make me a total tool either

its the internet folks, ain't no purpose in gettin all riled up bout it

and birdshot does make bad guys go flyin.....as long as they are GI joe sized

In closing: Tin foil hat-wearers, you may laugh at me when "the apocalypse" comes. Until that happens, I will reserve the right to laugh at YOU.

start laughing.

tinfoil.jpg

Now that some funny shit! I do believe shit has hit the fan and I am arming up to follow my new leader. VIVA LEGONAS!!!

EXCUSE ME, BUT. . .LEGONAS?????????