Bore Guide

Does anyone here use a bore guide to clean their .223? I have been looking for one to fit a Saiga or the other two .22 caliber guns I have.

Can anyone recommend a brand and where I can buy one?

Does anyone here use a bore guide to clean their .223? I have been looking for one to fit a Saiga or the other two .22 caliber guns I have.

Can anyone recommend a brand and where I can buy one?

I gave away the only .22 bore guide I had, when I sold my target 10/22, so I don't even have anything to try. Except maybe the cap on the Saiga factory cleaning kit 'container' - isn't that intended to act as a bore guide for cleaning? I'll have to check & see if it fits over my US-made muzzle device in a workable fashion. Even if it doesn't work for me, it may work great for you, depending on how your muzzle is set up...

;>)

I would like someone to explain to me what is the NEED for a bore guide?

I mean if you go sticking a cleaning rod with a brush down your barrel... MOST cleaning rods are brass or aluminum, or nylon covered something...

The brushes are nylon or brass...

What are you going to scratch with brass or nylon!?!?!? They are softer than the barrel steel, so they wont scratch it...

I must be missing something here...

Maybe its the fact that I would NEVER use a steel cleaning rod... so its not an issue?!?!?

:smoke:

Since I have a few bucks into some .22 calibers, I figured if it could help, why not use one. I guess the thought behind the guide is to keep from damaging the barrel crown. I certainly understand IndyArms logic and had the same thoughts myself. What I did do is order about $50 worth of brass and nylon cleaning tools including a nylon coated cleaning rod from J. Dewey Mfg..

Since I have a few bucks into some .22 calibers, I figured if it could help, why not use one. I guess the thought behind the guide is to keep from damaging the barrel crown...

I would guess the Russian military agrees with you, since they provide bore-guides with just about every AK cleaning kit they issue...

;>)

I would guess the Russian military agrees with you, since they provide bore-guides with just about every AK cleaning kit they issue...

They also issue STEEL cleaning rods and parts, too... so...

:smoke:

And some folks will tell you that steel is better than aluminum or 'plastic-coated' because a steel rod won't get abrasives imbedded in it like the softer materials. Other folks swear by the aluminum or 'plastic-coated' rods.

Who knows?

I don't really care.

FWIW, I clean my 'target' quality rifles from the chamber end, so I don't need a bore guide. With a chrome-lined mil-spec barrel (which I think I've got with my FAL, ArmaLite, & Saiga ;>) I just don't worry about whether or not my cleaning rod might irritate something or other. After all, it's a military rifle barrel, not Hillary Clinton's over-inflated ego...

;>)

Thanks Bad Bob & IndyArms for your comments and suggestions.

Got my order from J. Dewey Mfg. today. (two days after ordering, they are in my home state though) The cleaning rod and accessories are first rate

Tried out the new cleaning rod in the .223 Saiga and think it may work cleaning from the breach. There is a bunch of bend in the rod.

I really bought it for my new Thompson/Center Encore .223 and will be cleaning that from the breach because it is a break action.

I love the "double tap" capability of the Saiga and am looking forward to a more accurate first shot with the T/C.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I didn't even know what a bore guide was until I googled it. I also have no idea what most of the things in the cleaning kit are, besides the patch holder and brush. I've never needed them, or a bore guide/

I agree that steel is better in a rod and using the included bore guide is a no brainer.

Another options is a 22cal bore snake. I recommend everyone have at least one in their cleaning kit but it is still not a replacement for a good solid one piece still cleaning rod IMHO.