bayonet on a saiga

i love my unmodified 308 but really wish i could put a bayonet on it. i know the bayonet is largely irrelevant nowadays but i think they complete the look.

anyway i know a lot of talented folks on the forum work wonders w/the saigas and wondered if anyone had tried that.

Tony Rumore(TROMIX) made custom bayonet lugs for Saiga-12s but for the rifle's I am thinking you might have to come up with something on your own.

I have thought of putting an M16 bayonet lug on my 308 bacause I have a bipod that uses the bayonet to attach but I can't decide if I want to weld it on the gas block or just buy a clamp on adapter just ahead of the gas block.

The clamp on would be easier but would look like an afterthought

I'd say one of two things - 1) replace the rear gas block with a reemed-out standard AK block (if there's enough material to work with) or 2) weld a lug on the existing gas block.

I'd probably go with the welded lug - I;ve seen it done and they look good when done right.

• 2 weeks later...
i love my unmodified 308 but really wish i could put a bayonet on it. i know the bayonet is largely irrelevant nowadays but i think they complete the look.

anyway i know a lot of talented folks on the forum work wonders w/the saigas and wondered if anyone had tried that.

I have these on my 308 16". No modification needed.

AR-15 heavy barrel Bayonet Adaptor.

ARR-042.jpg

AR-15 Bayonet.

ARR-035.jpg

Looks like an M7. Fits my 590 just fine.

Where did you get the bayonet adaptor?

Cheaperthandirt had them. For the heavy barrel - Manufacturer: DPMS - Mfr# BL-LUG-H. For the regular barrel: Manufacturer: DPMS - Mfr# BL-LUG-L.

Here are the links:

AR-15 Heavy Bayonet Adaptor Easy Install Lug Heavy Barrel

AR-15 Light Bayonet Adaptor East Install Lug Light Barrel

I have them on my S-12 and .223. You can see them in my profile gallery.The S-12 uses a M7 bayo.I cut the bayo lug off a AR15 site base i wasnt useing anymore and silver soldered (1200deg) to the barrel.The barrel opening in the bayo only needed very slight filing to fit over the S-12 barrel...The .223 uses a Fal bayonet.I silver soldered a Fal flashider with a lug on the end of the barrel..Both look great.

• 1 year later...

To secure an AR15 bayonet on a Saiga 308 carbine without modifying the gun, the handle of a standard bayonet can be shortened. CMMG used to carry a short handle bayonet CMMG. Here is the picture of it: 278.jpg

CMMG no longer carries such an item, although the handle of this mini bayonet may be too short for a Saiga 308 carbine if a clamp on adapter lug is installed furthest possible from the muzzle. To make one for your own carbine, you would need to shorten the handle of a standard bayonet (about $30). This could be done by cutting the handle short for about 1-3/8" from the middle (still keeping the two screws), welding the steel handle together, then screwing the shortened plastic handle panels back on. This would require a welding machine (about $300 from Home Depot) and welding skill, which is not a typical set of tools and skills for a home project. An alternative way is to use the two screw holes and a steel plate to hold the cut handle pieces back together, but that would make the handle look fat.

An altered bayonet certainly is a lower cost solution to an altered gun. Does any one know of any vendors who sell short handle bayonets similar to CMMG's that fit for a Saiga 308 Carbine?

I have them on my S-12 and .223. You can see them in my profile gallery.The S-12 uses a M7 bayo.I cut the bayo lug off a AR15 site base i wasnt useing anymore and silver soldered (1200deg) to the barrel.The barrel opening in the bayo only needed very slight filing to fit over the S-12 barrel...The .223 uses a Fal bayonet.I silver soldered a Fal flashider with a lug on the end of the barrel..Both look great.

Pointer

I've been thinking about doing the same thing to my S308. I was wanting to weld the lug to the bottom of the front gas block, but I was worried about damaging the gas block and/or the barrel from the heat.

Am I being too cautious, or will the heat from welding not harm the rifle?

• 10 months later...

ARR-042.jpg

AR-15 Bayonet.

ARR-035.jpg

That looks COOL! Got any pics of it installed?

I have a longer barrel, if I mount the adaptor up against the gas block the knife won't stick out past the brake.... does it have to be up against it, if it's out further does it need welded or something??

• 1 year later...

ARR-042.jpg

AR-15 Bayonet.

ARR-035.jpg

That looks COOL! Got any pics of it installed?

I have a longer barrel, if I mount the adaptor up against the gas block the knife won't stick out past the brake.... does it have to be up against it, if it's out further does it need welded or something??

No welding. Here is a close up of the bayonet with the muzzle brake. Get the thin barrel bayonet adaptor, if your Saiga is the long and thin barrel type.

post-5593-0-54496200-1298117070_thumb.jpg

Edited by Genseric