Just got it last week on a trade. It's in near perfect condition, serial number in the mid 3000 range, and the price was right: $449.~

Decided to try an experiment, to see how much weight the aluminum frame saves. I loaded the P14 and an SA1911 NM to full capacity - full mag plus one in the chamber. Even with 15 rounds in it, the Para-Ordnance is still lighter. I checked them on a scale, for rough differences. I knew the P14 "felt" lighter, but I wanted to put each of them on a scale. The SA measured a very clean 2 pounds. The P14 was hovering on the lower edge of the 2 pound mark. The scale I used isn't the most accurate thing in the world, but it did show a difference between the two. It confuses me, but that's ok. :D

I can't wait to actually get out and shoot it. Unfortunately, it has been extremely cold here for awhile.

I'll try to get a picture up soon.

Well Shane, you certainly make a good case. ;) Here it is.

P14-45.jpg

Oh, looking back at my last post, I hit the wrong key. It should have been three pounds.

I also noticed that when the hammer on the P14 is at rest, it's not in contact with the firing pin. It can be pushed forward a bit to contact the firing pin. Makes me wonder about the possibility of a discharge if the gun were to fall, hammer first, on a hard surface. Probably not a significant risk, but interesting none the less.

Makes me wonder about the possibility of a discharge if the gun were to fall, hammer first, on a hard surface.

But don't they have a piece to block the firing pin? It reads like they do...though its confusing when they mix the LDA with the single action P-Series....

http://www.paraord.com/pages/safety2.html

I've been looking at the high cap LDAs for a while, but afraid I won't like the long pull on followup shots :huh:

I haven't had a chance to fire an LDA, but I have pulled the triggers on more than a few. The trigger pull is like nothing, weight-wise. It is long, but very, very light. I honestly don't know if the pull is long enough to interfere with speed on follow-up shots. It felt alot like a DA revolver, as far as the length of the trigger pull.

As for the description of the safety, it does seem like they are saying that the firing pin is blocked until the trigger is pulled on both models. Thanks for the link. :)

Yeah I've gotten to play with alot of their models over the last year and have been real impressed with they have to offer - LDA, high capacity, power extractor, lifetime warranty. I'm just slow to pick up on a new trigger system, I'm a big fan of the DA/SA trigger. I'll break down and get one eventually :D

Well Shane, you certainly make a good case. ;) Here it is.

P14-45.jpg

Oh, looking back at my last post, I hit the wrong key. It should have been three pounds.

I also noticed that when the hammer on the P14 is at rest, it's not in contact with the firing pin. It can be pushed forward a bit to contact the firing pin. Makes me wonder about the possibility of a discharge if the gun were to fall, hammer first, on a hard surface. Probably not a significant risk, but interesting none the less.

Nice Tokageko! Have you gotten a chance to shoot it?

When you say "at rest" do you mean half-cocked? My 1911 has a hammer safety that'll stop it just short of the pin if the trigger isn't held.

"At rest," in this case means with the hammer all the way down. On the Springfield Armory, the hammer rests contacting the firing-pin/slide. The half-cock notch is useful; I like to store a defensive gun with a round in the chamber (hidden away from prying eyes/fingers, of course).

I just got a chance to fire it today... and it's going back to the gunshop tomorrow for some repairs. Damn thing's a jam-o-matic. It fails to extract - leaving nifty marks on the rim where the extractor snap over it. Then, there was a failure to feed that had a cartridge stop when it hit the feed ramp - it pushed the bullet back into the case by a 10th of an inch. When it fired, it was very accurate. Upon inspection, the extractor seems to be finished differently than the rest of the gun, so it may not be the original. Either way, the extractor is my bet for being the problem.

So, more updates will be forth-coming...

My gunsmith is going to replace the extractor and run a mag through it. I have faith in his work (as if changing an extractor were difficult ;) ) and he's taken care of us before - always fair.

Also, I guess this is as good a place to ask as any: ProMag vs. Novak for aftermarket magazines? I've seen the ProMag P-14 mags as low as $20~. Recently, I saw Novak P-14 magazines adevertised for $23~. I'm just wondering if it would be worth the extra few dollars.

ProMag vs. Novak for aftermarket magazines?

I use off brand mags for general range shooting and name brand mags for carry. Promags are descent. Haven't shot Novaks mags. Are they contracted by gun manufacturers to produce mags for them like Mec-Gar is?

Well, I got it back. Unfortunately, my gunsmith didn't have a new extractor to replace it with. So, he "tweaked" the one that was in there. I think this basically means he held it tight and then bent it slightly. That what they call: adjusting extractor tension, right? Either way, he also polished the feed ramp and the chamber.

Apparently he was able to run 10 rounds through it without incident. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but you'll get details when I do.

OK. I shot it. Out of five magazines there were two failures-to-feed and one stove-pipe, two of which occured in the same magazine. I only have one magazine. The last full magazine ran fine. All of the ammo was 230 grain FMJ, standard loads. It shoots about 3.5 - 4" high at 10 yards. The gun shoots beyond my capabilities, accuracy-wise.