Letter of Apology

"This Letter of Apology" was written by Lieutenant General Chuck Pitman, US Marine Corps, Retired:

For good and ill, the Iraqi prisoner abuse mess will remain an issue. On the one hand, right thinking Americans will abhor the stupidity of the actions while on the other hand, political glee will take control and fashion this minor event into some modern day massacre.

I humbly offer my opinion here:

I am sorry that the last seven times we Americans took up arms and sacrificed the blood of our youth, it was in the defense of Muslims ( Bosnia , Kosovo, Gulf War 1, Kuwait , etc.).

I am sorry that no such call for an apology upon the extremists came after 9/11.

I am sorry that all of the murderers on 9/11 were Islamic Arabs.

I am sorry that most Arabs and Muslims have to live in squalor under savage dictatorships.

I am sorry that their leaders squander their wealth.

I am sorry that their governments breed hate for the US in their religious schools, mosques, and government-controlled media.

I am sorry that Yassar Arafat was kicked out of every Arab country and high-jacked the Palestinian "cause."

I am sorry that no other Arab country will take in or offer more than a token amount of financial help to those same Palestinians.

I am sorry that the U.S.A. has to step in and be the biggest financial supporter of poverty stricken Arabs while the insanely wealthy Arabs blame the USA for all their problems.

I am sorry that our own left wing, our media, and our own brainwashed masses do not understand any of this (from the misleading vocal elements of our society like radical professors, CNN and the NY TIMES).

I am sorry the United Nations scammed the poor people of Iraq out of the "food for oil" money so they could get rich while the common folk suffered.

I am sorry that some Arab governments pay the families of homicide bombers upon their death.

I am sorry that those same bombers are brainwashed thinking they will receive 72 virgins in "paradise."

I am sorry that the homicide bombers think pregnant women, babies, children, the elderly and other noncombatant civilians are legitimate targets.

I am sorry that our troops die to free more Arabs from the gang rape rooms and the filling of mass graves of dissidents of their own making.

I am sorry that Muslim extremists have killed more Arabs than any other group.

I am sorry that foreign trained terrorists are trying to seize control of Iraq and return it to a terrorist state.

I am sorry we don't drop a few dozen Daisy cutters on Fallujah.

I am sorry every time terrorists hide they find a convenient "Holy Site."

I am sorry they didn't apologize for driving a jet into the World Trade Center that collapsed and severely damaged Saint Nicholas Greek Orthod ox Church - one of our Holy Sites.

I am sorry they didn't apologize for flight 93 and 175, the USS Cole, the embassy bombings, the murders and beheadings of Nick Berg and Daniel Pearl, etc....etc!

I am sorry Michael Moore is American; he could feed a medium sized village in Africa .

America will get past this latest absurdity. We will punish those responsible because that is what we do.

We hang out our dirty laundry for the entire world to see. We move on. That's one of the reasons we are hated so much. We don't hide this stuff like all those Arab countries that are now demanding an apology.

Deep down inside, when most Americans saw this reported in the news, we were like - so what? We lost hundreds and made fun of a few prisoners. Sure, it was wrong, sure, it dramatically hurts our cause, but until captured we were trying to kill these same prisoners. Now we're supposed to wring our hands because a few were humiliated?

Our compassion is tempered with the vivid memories of our own people killed, mutilated and burnt amongst a joyous crowd of celebrating Fallujahans.

If you want an apology from this American, you're going to have a long wait! You have a better chance of finding those seventy-two virgins.

Chuck Pitman

Lieutenant General, USMC, Retired

Ditto that...

Lest anyone forget, we have had holy "war" declared on US! To my thinking, we are under seige....Any measures taken by us are a DEFENSIVE MEASURE!!!!

Get the friggin' reporters out of the war theater. Give our brave, loyal fighting force the license to wage war as they are trained to do. Mop this shit up and ELIMINATE the THREAT!

-If it comes at the price of some collateral damage, see top sentence....

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

you all know how I feel about it. I cant even post what I REALLY think on a public forum, its that extreme.

all I will say is this.

fuck them and anyone that stands with them or that tries to protect them. here or abroad.

BRING IT ON

A bit of USMC history.

Our first conflict off American soil was against (you guessed it!) RADICAL ISLAM!

At this point in American history, the Barbary states, Algiers, Morocco, Tripoli, and Tunis were exacting tribute, (bribes) from American merchant class ships sailing into the Mediterranean Sea.

The Barbary ports were heavily fortified with numerous corsairs manning well armed, swift ships. By 1785, American ships were being captured regularly and their crews enslaved. America was paying the Pasha of Tripoli $100,000 to ensure the safety and unimpeded passage of her ships.

In June of 1801 the Pasha declared war on the U.S. An early American expedition succeeded in landing a combined force of Marines and sailors which burned several Tripolian ships. In Oct. of 1803, The U.S. frigate Philadelphia, while on a punitive raid was captured after running aground with 43 Marines and the crew taken. (Later, this ship was destroyed in the harbor during a daring raid by U.S. Marines.)

Approx. 400 Marines (4/5ths of the Corps) was embarked upon Naval ships to eliminate Barbary threat to American shipping. Marine Operations aboard naval ships continued through 1804.

A plan was submitted by William Eaton, (to replace the belligerent Pasha Yusuf Karamanti with his brother Hamet,) and was approved by President Jefferson. Eaton sailed for Alexandria aboard USS Argus, which had a detachment of Marines commanded by Lt. Presly Neville O'Bannon.

On 29 Nov. O'Bannon, a Sergeant, and 6 Marines landed with Eaton and by March 8, set out with Hamet, and 500 men, some Greek mercenaries paid for with American gold: along with 107 camels overland through the desert to capture Tripoli and install Hamet as the new ruler.

After a march plagued by mutinies (which the Marines repeatedly suppressed,) and, with the additions of native tribesmen the army of now nearly 1200 set out for Derna. Supported by U.S. ships which proceeded to bombard the city Eaton, O'Bannon the Marines and other troops attacked the city of Derna. By 3:30 the American flag was raised over the captured citadel.

Campaigns and dates:

* Enterprise vs Tripolian Tripoli Aug. 1, 1801

* Raid on Tripoli May 20, 1803

* Capture of Philadelphia by Tripolians Oct. 31, 1803

* Constitution, Siren, Argus, Scourge, Vixen, Nautilus, & Enterprisevs Tripolitian vessels Aug. 3, 1804

* Capture of Tripolian fortress at Derne-Triploi Apr. 25-27, 1805

Significant Events:

* This was the first time the Stars and Stripes flew in victory over captured territory in the Eastern Hemisphere.

* Legend states that Hamet, as a measure of gratitude, presented O'Bannon with a saber 32 1/2 inches long with a distinctive, jeweled "Mameluke" hilt. This style of hilt has remained to this day the pattern of the Marine Officer's saber.

* It was during this campaign that part of the first verse of the future Marine's Hymn was written : "...to the shores of Tripoli..."

Yep, because we all know that our past actions give us free reign to sink to their level of unhuman behavior.

Ill say this once. Let us be gentlemen and agree to disagree. The wonderful thing about living in a democratic country

is that somewhere between you and myself lies the truth.

with respect.

God Bless & Semper Fi

Yep, because we all know that our past actions give us free reign to sink to their level of unhuman behavior.

Ill say this once. Let us be gentlemen and agree to disagree. The wonderful thing about living in a democratic country

with respect.

God Bless & Semper Fi

Well put! Although I don't share your belief system,(the holy trinity) I do believe in god, and I DO appreciate your history lesson,and service (Marine I assume)

very much!

with respect.

God Bless & Semper Fi

Fair enough. All I am saying is that if we dive to their level and excuse our behavior, we are no better than them. Why bother living in the land of the free when we perpetrate the same atrocities as those we fight. If we claim the moral high ground, then we better live up to it.

After all, it would be the Christian thing to do, no?

Edited by MrTuffPaws

fair enough. we would have a long way to go to be on their level however.

We have NOT purposely targeted civilians.

Edited by Juggernaut

I'm not condoning any actions we've taken in other places, I'm not making a comment on whether they are right or wrong.

But I know a few things:

1. Some people ONLY understand violence, or at least force.

2. Bullies, thieves, etc. tend to look for other targets when a victim has a history of resistance.

3. If insanity is all you know, it's not realistic for others to expect rational behavior from you.

Draw whatever conclusions you want from that, but don't put words in my mouth.

... and now I'm missing Smiley. I was hoping after reading through this for a bit that I'd see his creepy-as-all-Hell clown faced avatar. Sadly, no. Oh well. Other than that I wanted to congratulate you guys on keeping it civil.

I know for myself it's almost a "religious" belief - regarding the actions of our great country and its armed services. The study of ethics is interesting. If you're up for a serious read, look it up in the philosophy section of yahoo's directory... or something.

• 2 years later...

One thing I don't understand, is the term homicide bomber. What the fuck does that mean? I know for a fact that Fox News wanted to undermine the glory of martyrdom by downplaying the suicide aspect of a suicide bomber, but homicide bomber is still a stupid term. What the fuck else kind of bomber is there? A rainbow kitten bomber? Of course anyone setting off a bomb is doing it with the express intentions of committing a homicide. They take their own life in the process, therefore they have committed a suicide bombing, not a homicide bombing. That's just silly.

One thing I don't understand, is the term homicide bomber. What the fuck does that mean? I know for a fact that Fox News wanted to undermine the glory of martyrdom by downplaying the suicide aspect of a suicide bomber, but homicide bomber is still a stupid term. What the fuck else kind of bomber is there? A rainbow kitten bomber? Of course anyone setting off a bomb is doing it with the express intentions of committing a homicide. They take their own life in the process, therefore they have committed a suicide bombing, not a homicide bombing. That's just silly.

Maybe they just didn't want to let BO have all the fun with the "lets call it something else to try to make it into something else" game.

I would disagree with that. If suicide were the goal, they wouldn't try to take as many people out with them as they could. The goal here is homicide. That's why they call it that although I do agree the terminology sounds silly. I just call them 'one more down'..... and always pray they didn't take anyone with them.

The worst type of revisionism, imo.

I am sorry that no such call for an apology upon the extremists came after 9/11.
Iran and pakistan, two muslim countries, were among the first countries to send their condolences, offer their unconditional support, and denounce the terrorist acts.

I am sorry that most Arabs and Muslims have to live in squalor under savage dictatorships.
Iran is, in theory, a democracy. Most of the countries in the area are fairly peaceful monarchies. Lumping Kuwait, the UAE, Qatar, and Jordan in with Iraq and Afghanistan is oversimplifying at best, and outright dishonest at the worst.

I am sorry that their governments breed hate for the US in their religious schools, mosques, and government-controlled media.
They don't need to. Our own actions, including posts/letters like these do that for us. The student populations of most of the arab countries tend to be fairly pro-west, something that sadly isn't reflected here in the US.

I am sorry that no other Arab country will take in or offer more than a token amount of financial help to those same Palestinians.
Despite the several wars fought against Israel just for this reason? Revisionism. You can just as easily say the same thing about the USA and mexicans.

I am sorry that the U.S.A. has to step in and be the biggest financial supporter of poverty stricken Arabs while the insanely wealthy Arabs blame the USA for all their problems.
To quote wikipedia [citation needed] I'm fairly certain that Iraq, Afghanistan, and Egypt excluded, the US has damn little to do with "poverty stricken Arabs"

I am sorry that our own left wing, our media, and our own brainwashed masses do not understand any of this (from the misleading vocal elements of our society like radical professors, CNN and the NY TIMES).
When you are living in your own little delusional revisionist world, it is hard for people living in the real world to "understand" most of this. Has nothing to do with being "left wing" or "liberal."

I am sorry we don't drop a few dozen Daisy cutters on Fallujah.
Yes, because bombing civilian centers is the solution to everything.

Now most of the post I agree with, but what I quoted above reflects the ignorance of the General. The situation in the middle east is screwwed up at best, and we really should try not to screw it up even more.

Christ does no one read post dates anymore? You just picked apart a post from 3 years ago! I don't think the guy who typed it even gives a shit anymore.
I didn't notice the OP was 2 years old. OTOH the 6 replies previous to mine were from yesterday. Guess you didn't notice that, eh?