Quick Newbie Questions

I've searched and searched to no avail. I want to put the split hangaurds on my Saiga when I get it and plan on using Dinzag's setup. I plan to get a US made polmer set but I can't find one that has the upper hangaurd already installed on the gas tube. Meaning I will have to fit the handgaurd to the gas tube. How difficult is this? Are there any special tools needed, things I need to watch out for so I don't mar up my rifle or hand gaurd?

Also in the online walkthrough of the Saiga conversion when installing the FCG what is the retention springs purpose? I just can't figure out what mechanical purpose it serves. And should I go this route or with a sheperds crook? What is the sheperds crook and how does it work and purpose it serves? I've read and read but I can't gather straight answers on these.

Oh while I'm at it, I keep remembering questions, what are the benefits of a ported gas tube versus a no ported? I have read several threads about this and am confused by the subject. Why do it basically? I would think it would lighten recoil slightly. If it is better than unported I'll get one of those from K-Var as they have both with minimal price difference.

Ok, two more quickies. Do all the SAW style grips come with the indention on the side? Looks like it was designed for a safety lever. And how different is it to do a Saiga-12 conversion versus a rifle? There is no online walkthgough for the shotguns that I can find.

Thanks for any and all help, I hope to join the Saiga ranks as soon as I get home!

I've searched and searched to no avail. I want to put the split hangaurds on my Saiga when I get it and plan on using Dinzag's setup. I plan to get a US made polmer set but I can't find one that has the upper hangaurd already installed on the gas tube. Meaning I will have to fit the handgaurd to the gas tube. How difficult is this? Are there any special tools needed, things I need to watch out for so I don't mar up my rifle or hand gaurd?

Also in the online walkthrough of the Saiga conversion when installing the FCG what is the retention springs purpose? I just can't figure out what mechanical purpose it serves. And should I go this route or with a sheperds crook? What is the sheperds crook and how does it work and purpose it serves? I've read and read but I can't gather straight answers on these.

Oh while I'm at it, I keep remembering questions, what are the benefits of a ported gas tube versus a no ported? I have read several threads about this and am confused by the subject. Why do it basically? I would think it would lighten recoil slightly. If it is better than unported I'll get one of those from K-Var as they have both with minimal price difference.

Ok, two more quickies. Do all the SAW style grips come with the indention on the side? Looks like it was designed for a safety lever. And how different is it to do a Saiga-12 conversion versus a rifle? There is no online walkthgough for the shotguns that I can find.

Thanks for any and all help, I hope to join the Saiga ranks as soon as I get home!

Handguard removal, look in the tech section

The retention spring/ sheperds crook keeps the fcg pins in place. I went with the sheperds crook because it was "easier" than the retention spring.

Ported gas tubes I'm not entirely sure I think its recoil reduction but I'm not sure.

My SAW grip has that indentation

S-12 conversion...haven't gotten that far yet

How difficult is this? Are there any special tools needed, things I need to watch out for so I don't mar up my rifle or hand gaurd?

yep, but a gas tube with integrated handguard retainer. it's easy to install the upper handguard on that.

And should I go this route or with a sheperds crook? What is the sheperds crook and how does it work and purpose it serves? I've read and read but I can't gather straight answers on these.

get a shephard's crook. much easier, you'll thank yourself everytime you fieldstrip. and it's only ~$10, definitely worth it.

Oh while I'm at it, I keep remembering questions, what are the benefits of a ported gas tube versus a no ported?

keeps the gas tube cleaner and reduces recoil a tad bit. it's worth it if there's minimal price difference. just be sure to realize there's a difference between the gas block and the gas tube...you DON'T want to have to try to replace the gas block. it's a project to do that.

And how different is it to do a Saiga-12 conversion versus a rifle?

S-12s are the same except for the trigger guard. you'll have to get creative here, but you can do most of the conversion without any difficulties, the only headache will be figuring out the TG.

Thanks again, I looked in the Tech section but didn't find much pertaining to installing a handgaurd on the gas tube, but if it is easy then OK! The tube I plan on getting has the retainers in place. Looks like I'll go ahead and get a shepherds crook. I'll probably start ordering parts tomorrow for when I get home. I'll just concentrate on the first Saiga in 7.62 then worry about the 12. At this point I just want to get the rifles, mags and ammo in case things dry up.

Thanks again, I looked in the Tech section but didn't find much pertaining to installing a handgaurd on the gas tube, but if it is easy then OK! The tube I plan on getting has the retainers in place. Looks like I'll go ahead and get a shepherds crook. I'll probably start ordering parts tomorrow for when I get home. I'll just concentrate on the first Saiga in 7.62 then worry about the 12. At this point I just want to get the rifles, mags and ammo in case things dry up.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...&q=gas+tube

ta-da

Yeah for some reason our computers in Iraq are anti Google video. So I can't view it, do you think this is on YouTube? Because for some reason I can view that.

ahh..ok lemme check but if I can't find it you hold the metal tube (with a wrench if need be on the gas block end of the tube) and then twist the wood 180 degrees and it should pull out.

Got it I found a write up on it online somewhere, I think it was Gunsnet.com. Thanks for the help. After pondering what I want done and the work involved and my lack of tools I may just have to buy one already converted. Like an AK-USA rifle. Because I want a full AK-103 conversion, cleaning rod, cleaning kit in the butt stock and a folding stock if possible. Although I know they are REALLY expensive.