Which buttstock to get?

A real saiga-12 has a russian folder stock that looks exactly like the one you have a pic' of.

You can obtain a real saiga-12 folder for about $100, but it is a little of a pain to install, major machining involved, first you must remove the rear trunnion with the stock tang and replace it with a folder rear trunion. It requires re pinning, that's the hard part.

I just ordered my saiga 12 in a 19" barrel config from EAA and am planing on converting it to skeltonized w/pistol grip after AWB sunsets. I noticed that the trigger is set back (about 2inches) over the area that the pitol grip would go on a normal ak reciever. Will this present a problem to install the pistol grip or would I need to send it to a gunsmith? Also, do they have muzzle brakes on the orginal tactical versions? or do they use chokes? :unsure:

Guy there is literaly a dozen posts on this Forum site with pictures and step-by-step detail on how to perform the job yourself. It really is no harder than building a plastic model airplane, but if you can't do that, I mean if you don't have patience I guess you could have some gunsmith who has never seen and AK before let alona a Saiga shotgun charge you several hundred bucks to mess it up.

I would not go with a FSE Skeleton stock with out getting the recoil pad, wether the Bulgarian, Russian or the US made knock-off. The recoil pad runs about $15 to$30 depending what country of orgin and where you buy it. FAC is the cheapest, the US made on they sell is only $13. The Recoil on the Saiga-12 is to sharp with out more buttpad meat. The Recoil pad is sold by RPB and FAC (Gunsnstuff.com) and sometimes you cand find them at gun shows. The recoil pad works on all Russian stocks, that is full stocks wood and synthetic, underfolders and skeleton stocks. I would also recomend that you use 'Loc-tite' when setting the screw as the recoil will be sure to rip the screw out of the threads if they get loose, happened to my friend when I told him to loc-tite the screws on his FSE stock he mounted on a 7.62 Sar-1 , he didn't and they stripped right out. So remember this or it will be sure to happen to you. The full length stock is better and absorbs more recoil. It's cheaper too, allowing you to spend more money on mags and ammo.

I found that a CZ-75 pistol rear sight will fit nicely in the rear sight notch on a Saiga-12, so one of my Saiga's has tritium sights now. It is much more accurate day or night. Since it is a true rear sight, unlike the wierd set-up that is on there now.

I hope you can accomplish all you want to do and the best to you.

:killer:

I saw a few illustrations of a conversion done for the relocation of the sporter trigger by a forum member 'sheik' :osama: pretty helpful but it seems like a handfull for someone who has barely any tools or time like me :eek: I saw a link on the saiga-12 web page to a gunsmith doing conversions on the .308saiga for relocation of sporter trigger @ http://www.ak-103.com/services.html anybody ever use them? I will call them to see what they would charge to leave my saiga ready for the original folder or skeleton stock and pistol grip install after sept13. Will post outcome of conversation on forum will also see if we could get some kind of group discount or rate on conversion. :super:

All the power to you, but expect a $300 labor quote. I got a $700 labor quote to do a AK-105 build, so I bet Chris Butler will nail you for about $300-$400 to do that work not counting parts mind you. Thats another $100 and then some. You are better off either buying a post-Sept.14th import or buying the tools and learning to do it yourself. A good drill, a vice, a hammer and a dremel. A good rivet set and reviter will be a great buy to. You could buy all this for a third of what Any AK-builder will want from you except one guy I know and he is very, very good.

It's Coyote Gulch Armory in Sunnyside, WA. The owner is Mark S. Tucker and he is a FFL type 07 licensed manufaturer. Call him at 1-509-839-6275.

I had him install a folder on my gun for $75, and he did a beautiful job, he set pinned it permanent, but the pin is very removable come Spet. 14th if you get what I mean. ;)

rock47 would this be the same procedure used to convert the saiga 12gauge come Sept.14http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/ or is it different from the .223 shown. It does not look too difficult I guess the first step is the hardest.

asu174 the reason you can move the trigger and it still works is because of a transfer bar mechanism. Check out the link. :sadam:

inside of the recievers of a saiga12 and SAR1...you can clearly see the added parts needed to modify a regular ak setup to use a regular stock with no pictol grip. you arent really converting the weapon, per say, but putting it back to how it was designed. when its legal, if its ever legal to do, it will take me all of ten minutes to do it to mine....a lot easier to understand and do if you have something to compare to and decent tools available.

post-2-1092270359.jpg

Edited by Bvamp

Thanks for the illustrations and help, but I want to probably go for the full folder and pistol grip setup after awb sunset.

if understand this correctly i should be able to :

-add pistol grip

-get magazines over 5 rounds

-add a folding stock

on my Saiga 12 gauge after awb as long as i stay within import parts compliance limit. :ken:

some states now are moving to pass laws even worse than the AWB before the AWB lifts, like here in new york where I live. they are being pretty sneaky about it too. BUT IF the AWB dies, and noone passes new laws in your area, and if there isnt a new AWB passed in its place, then yeh you can do it. You can expect later on down the road when they make high cap mags in the states for the saiga12, they will declare it a street sweeper. I hope I am wrong.

kudos bvamp.

I hope your wrong about Lu Lu Belle [sAIGA12] being declared a DD.

t is curious that here in Miami guns are rampant and easily atainable and this past week the City of Miami Police celebrated the passing of 19 months without having to shoot somebody.

I know alot of people around here packing some serious heat and the word on the street is you better expect to get shot at if your bold enough to commit a crime. Its hard to knock off a Food Spot :osama: while looking over your shoulder.

While we still have crime here it could be a whole lot worse if we could not defend ourselves.

:ph34r::killer::killer::killer::killer:

It keeps the criminals in check.

It was wild growing up in the 80's around here!!

:alucard:

Stay out of harms way. :super:

Edited by ratimus

It will only be legal if you replace enough of the "evil foreign parts" with US-made parts so that the firearm will no longer be considered imported. If you do a search on "922r" (the law restricting the import of this type of "non-sporting" firearm), you'll find plenty of information.

To outright purchase one, some company would have to do the conversion and replace the required number of parts, but they won't be imported in that form from Russia.

Edited by TapperMan

True, the government and all the gun grabber pacifists wont want THESE types of weapons entering the country with folding stocks, pistol grips, bayonet lug, and what would seem like high capacity magazines, even though there not. Sounds like prime realistate to me. Maybe someone will set up shop and convert the sporting style saigas into the military type with all the trimming as to satisfy the combat and collector enthusiest. Maybe strip them for parts and rebuild them on US recievers using US parts sorta like AK-USA, or those Hesse AK clones. Far fetched, maybe... ...but it could happen, anythings possible. Best hopes to everyone, but I think I'll do the conversion myself(...must... ...save... ...cash...).

post-2-1092486231.jpg