Anyone had any real experience with this pistol? I've been considering pistols.. and I figure if I am going to spend money on one, I might as well buy the most bada$$ one I can find. So far this one looks promising.

The FN Five-seveN. (I wish I could get my hands on a FN P90 too..hehe)

If anyone has fired this pistol, or has one, or knows about them, let me know what's up with it. :) Thanks.

If I don't go 5-7... I am looking at a Desert Eagle. Anyone can post about this too.. thanks.

(shut up, I do NOT play too much Counter-Strike)

I actually researched these real pistols online.. but I would like firsthand experience accounts.

Edited by prophageus

Both are nothing more than toys.. the Five seveN is a neat little idea, but the supersonic pistol round will be very difficult to find and God have mercy on your soul if you actually have ot use it for personal defense. I have not fired one, but have a good friend that has (trainer for a police department) and said that it was quite managable. But, think about it... you would have a very serioius problem with over penetration, and for personal defense, this is just a silly gun. But, for a toy, if you are rich, why not.

The Desert Eagle is a joke. I have shot them, and they are nothing more than a toy as well. Reliability of the pistol is terrible (from firing one, as well as talking to many owners), and it is no coincedence that that is probably the most common pistol I see on consignment at local gun stores. People get them because they saw Demi Moore shoot them in Charlies Angles, and think it is a cool looking gun.... blech... no thanks.

Now, if you are looking for a POWERFUL pistol to brag to your friends about, skip the two that you have mentioned and get yourself one of these:

28826sw500_1-2-med.jpg

I have one and realized from day one it is ALSO a toy, but TONS of fun to shoot! The ballistics of this gun make the Five seveN and the .50 AE Desert Eagle look like cap guns!!

I shoot 440 grain CorBon ammo that is about 2600 ft-lbs of energy... more than most hunting rifles.

There is a new 610 grain offering for the .500 Smith and Wesson, and it makes 3000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.... that is more than my M1A rifle shooting hot hunting .308 rounds!!!

IF you are looking for a good home defense pistol, or something that would would risk your life on... I suggest a Glock... if it is your first pistol, probably 9mm, and take the extra $500.00 you would have spent on the toys above and get some good trainging with that money.... you won't regret it!

Wallet size is tiny. :P I just want a GOOD pistol/revolver for my money.

As for over-penetration, if you read the FN website, they address that. Armor-piercing sounds like a damned good deal.

As for the DE.. thanks for the accuracy info.

Before reading about those two pistols.. I was thinking either a 4" barrel .357, or a Glock 33. (.357 also)

:) Thanks for the info guys.

Err.. how reliable are those cheap pistols you are talking about? (CZ 75B and Hipoint)

As I am sure you already know, the G33 doesn't shoot your typical .357 round... it is a .357 "Sig" round... basically a .40 S&W case necked down to a 9mm bullet... They TRY to get the same ballistics as a 125 grain .357 Magnum, and they come close... I think some rounds might be dead on or a little better...

I would seriously rent one if you can and shoot it... it is loud and has a sharp recoil compared to a 9mm or a .40 S&W... I shoot about 1500 rounds of .45 ACP a month, in practice, training and competition, and I was a bit put off by the .357 noise and recoil... but your mileage may vary! It isn't .500 S&W bad... but, you know...

Most people that I know that carry a .357 revolver usually end up using .38 +P rounds instead... just because they are a bit easier to shoot in shorter barrel .357 revolvers.

One more plug for Glocks, and then I am done: I own a lot of pistols (15 at last count), and the Glocks that I own have been 100% reliable. I cannot say that about the other brands, even the revolvers. This is the main reason that I carry a Glock daily, and when people ask me my advice, I usually steer them towards Glock. It won't break the bank, and you cannot ask for a more reliable handgun. Anyhow, just my opinion.

Thanks man. :) Cause, I was also thinking glock.. I hear great things about them from ppl.

But, I don't know which one to buy. I guess just a 9mm is best, cause there is plenty of ammo floating around in 9mm. So.. I'll start checking that out. :)

As soon as I buy one.. I'll start wearing it in it's holster EVERYWHERE I go. (gotta love AZ, one of the only semi-non-communist states left.)

I guess it's safe to assume that a used Glock is ok. So, I'll look at those also.

Thanks for the inofo about the .357, I didn't know that.

Thanks man. :) Cause, I was also thinking glock.. I hear great things about them from ppl.

But, I don't know which one to buy. I guess just a 9mm is best, cause there is plenty of ammo floating around in 9mm. So.. I'll start checking that out. :)

As soon as I buy one.. I'll start wearing it in it's holster EVERYWHERE I go. (gotta love AZ, one of the only semi-non-communist states left.)

I guess it's safe to assume that a used Glock is ok. So, I'll look at those also.

Thanks for the inofo about the .357, I didn't know that.

Used Glocks are fine... with a little research on the web you can become quite the Glock Armorer... I have purchased a couple of used Glocks (one that is 14 years old, all original parts) all I had to replace was the recoil spring assembly... still shoots great. It is my G20 (10mm), its a tac driver!!

I would probably make the G20 your SECOND Glock, only because ammo availability and price are a bit of a deterent... don't get me wrong, I LOVE my G20, but because of the above, it is limited to a range toy and hunting.... I don't shoot it as much as I shoot my other Glocks...

Trust me, once you have one Glock, if you like it, you will have more!

BUT... saying that... if you want one CDNN (http://www.cdnninvestments.com - download thier catalog, they should be in there as well as several other inexpensive .40 S&W Glocks) has police trade in 10mm Glocks for $389.00 shipped!! You need to call and ask them about it, and arrange to have it sent to and FFL, but that is pretty cheap! That is how I got mine... here is a picture of it:

28826mi_glock20_4-2_jpg-med.jpg

Edited by Wicked96SS

I Cant Believe Anyone Would Recomend A Hi-Point. Sure Damn Near EveryOne Of Us Has Had One But Its Something We Just Dont Talk About. Like That One Fat Chick In High School... My Hi-Point Was Fun As Hell. As Long As I Fed It Magtec And Didnt Rely On It Going Bang Too Much. CZs Are Great, Ive Never Run Into Any Problems With Them. And Thought Ive Never Owned/Fired One Myself Ive Heard Many Many Mini-Eagle Inspired Horror Stories.

Hell I Want A Five-seveN Too... *Sigh* Guess Ill Just Have To Stick With My Makarovs...

• 2 weeks later...

i am a HUGE CZ fan both because of price and quality...the gun looks great too! i would recommend over the glock just because of the looks and the extra 100 buck in my pocket. you can check the link in my sig if you want to see the 75b and the 40-p both tack driver. as for buying one i found that www.jgsales.com has the best deal on them at least online that is.

i am a HUGE CZ fan both because of price and quality...the gun looks great too! i would recommend over the glock just because of the looks and the extra 100 buck in my pocket. you can check the link in my sig if you want to see the 75b and the 40-p both tack driver. as for buying one i found that www.jgsales.com has the best deal on them at least online that is.

well thats my post i thought i was logged in now you have the signature to referrance

• 2 weeks later...

Ok after reading more about these guns i think it is the gnarlyist gun ever. period. To have a pistol but be as powerful as a rifle is just crazy. Can people buy them now that the ban has expired? Please tell me yes. i will be on it tomorrow. I know it wouldnt be good for self defence but everything else it would rule. I want a p-90 also. any chance of getting one? Maybe even a semi auto?

If I had to buy one today I'd buy this one:

http://catalog.jgsales.com/?itemnumber=00_2-849

or the the cz-p01. in 40SW - if they ever make one.

I shoot alot of handguns but don't own any myself, so maybe I'm not the one to listen to.

BTW, My buddy owns the desert eagle .44 magnum - it's sruprisingly smooth, doesn't jump a whole lot, like you'd expect. it is TOTALLY impracticle for anything though! it's sooo friggin' big and lankey, so I vote toy.

Any of the CZ-75 variants is generally going to be a cheap, reliable and accurate gun. Actually, make that any Browning Hi-Power variant, which is what the CZ 75 is. Ive got a 40 cal IMI Jericho and it is a nice gun. I find it has great ergonomics, maybe 90 percent as good as a 2x more expensive sig. Get a gunsmith to polish the feed ramp if you plan on being sloppy about cleaning. They are fairly tight guns- not bad like a beetta, but definitely not wiggly like a glock or hk.

I would personally go with 40 or 45 for a self defense round. 45 if you have to use ball ammo for whatever reason (military for example). The 9mm has been shown to not knock people down way too many times. The FBI canned 9mm after the miami bank robber shootout in which the baddies were fatally wounded but still fought for another 10 minutes and killed a bunch of fbi agents at the scene.

If you have the money go for Sig, HK or Glock. Glocks have a weird flaw with shooting reloaded or +P ammo beacuse the round is only partly encased with the chamber and pops catastrophically in some cases. Use regular factory ammo if you get a glock. I also think they feel clunky, but there is no denying that glocks are the most reliable semi-autos on the market.

One other thing- if this is for concealed carry or self defense, consider just getting a snubnosed revolver in 357 mag. Revolvers are safe and utterly reliable. Even if a round doesnt fire, you just pull the trigger again. There is a pretty good chance at laest one of 6 chambers wont have a dud. No jams, no misfires, no problems. Somethign to think about if your life is ever on the line.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i know this is an old post but i remember seeing that the round the five seveN uses has a steel tip and aluminum backend so it will pentrate solid stuff but tumbles 2 inches into a soft target.....correct me if i'm wrong but i think it was on the manufactuers(sp) website

Just returning to the site after the holidays and hope everyone had a great Christmas and got everything they wanted.

Just wanted to chime in and say I agree with Wicked66SS on his opinion of the Desert Eagle and FN FiveSeven. I had the good fortune of firing the DE this past week at a friend's place and I have to say I wasn't that impressed, too bulky for my taste. Haven't fired the FN FiveSeven so I can't elaborate. Since I'm an old schooler; Prophageus, I'd have to say that you can't go wrong with any .45 ACP or 9MM for that matter. I understand wallet talk but if you shop around for what you want and can get it at a price thats reasonable then hell go for it.

Forget about AP rounds, why do you need AP rounds? It's what you can do with what you've got that will save your ass. Besides, I never knew of any ghetto rats, gang bangers or thug wannabes who owned protective armour anyway.

I'm not worried about common criminals. They pose no threat to me.

I am more worried about military trained killers, who WILL have armor. Thugs will never bother me, even if I lived in the worst areas of town. Anyways, they don't even know how to commit crime like the trained killers do. HAHA. Worst criminals in the world are the ones trained to kill without a license. (CIA, FBI, Some Cops, NSA, DEA, etc etc)

• 3 months later...

The Five-seveN is the most awesome pistol I have fired. Low recoil, which would make one for each hand in a pinch a cinch. I never really enjoyed firing it at paper targets at close pistol ranges. It comes to a whole new light when you shoot those bad boys at plastic bottles or coke cans at the hundred-yard range. Whole new world. Highly recommend. Concealable, lightweight, and function. You can still purchase the rounds in HP at the high speeds, and they are titanium tipped. They won't be around long, though.

Rail underneath for that light/laser combo. Cloth legside holsters available for the gun with accessories attached. Even when they slow down that little pepper, it will be a pleasure to shoot. Ambidextrous safety...could go on and on. Long-range accuracy in a concealable pistol. Wish I had two.

Use S&W revolvers for cutting paper at pistol ranges and home protection...personal preference.

Baby glock for toting.

Been wanting a Browning .22 target pistol with fiber-optic sights for plinking.

I love mine. I have the IOM model and got a custum iwb holster from rusty sherrick, that works great.

I was out at the range the other day and was playing with a new Norinco model 37 (ithaca 37 clone) I had bought. Great little shotgun, but hates low brass. Anyway, I was going back to the truck when I thought, hey empty shotgun shells.

So I set 20 out at 25 yards, and took out 23 with the 5/7 open sight. The two I missed were pulled shots. I went through them pretty fast as the low recoil of the pistol is amazing, but it does make a good flash and boom.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, darned trained killers . . . .

If you don't have a Makarov yet, forget all those other options and get a Makarov. It is the best bang for the buck on the market. For a bigger bang, you could make yourself an AK pistol. Thant usually makes the trained killers nervous too.