Saiga .223 Important Topic

There are certain things that seem to be of concern only to .223 Saiga owners (for example, the 'extended' bullet guide that works so well with the Bulgy & Galil 5.56 mags, and perhaps .223 'compliance' parts, like US-made .223/5.56 magazine floorplates, followers, etc.). Would it be worthwhile to post a new "Important Topic" on the .223 forum, covering those unique issues?

Dinzag could post info on his 'extended' bullet guides (which I don't think are needed with 7.62 Saigas), and we could include links to vjor's thread(s) on making your own, for those that want to go that way. Plus info (or link to a seperate thread) on .223/5.56 mag availability / benfits / problems (best place to get Orlites, or Weigers, etc.). Plus maybe links to any threads covering US-made parts for .223/5.56 mags, to help meet 'compliance' requirements (for example, Havoc308 figured out how to convert M-16 'green' followers to work in Orlites - http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=13611 - and I just found a source for new 'green' followers at only $0.29 each). Maybe links to any important info on .223/5.56 ammo? Maybe even .223/5.56 muzzle devices (can't use M-16 devices or .223 brakes on a 7.62 Saiga, obviously)...

You could post it up top here, instead of that 'parts oven' thread (which can go someplace else, if needed, because it applies to any Saiga you want to refinish, not just .223s). What do you think? Stupid idea? Or worth considering? Please post any ideas you've got...

• 4 months later...

topic title edited, posts merged, excess deleted, topic pinned.

thanks to Bad Bob for condensing this information for us, as well as taking the time to share it as a pinned topic that is clear and concise, etc etc...

• 6 months later...
5) A possible source for new or used .223/5.56 mags for your .223 Saiga:

German Weiger mags...

As of January 3, 2008, Century has "German 30 Rd. AK... Steel, Cal.223" mags (Product ID: MA1050) listed for $26.95:

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=MA1050

Edited by Bad Bob
5) A possible source for new or used .223/5.56 mags for your .223 Saiga:

German Weiger mags...

As of January 3, 2008, Century has "German 30 Rd. AK... Steel, Cal.223" mags (Product ID: MA1050) listed for $26.95:

http://www.centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=27&pg=4

As of January 3, 2008, Century has "WASR-3 30 rd. Hi-Cap Steel Magazine, Cal. .223" (Product ID: MA1043) listed for $22.95:

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=MA1043

These are Romanian knock-offs of the Weiger and work just fine in my .223 AKs. The only difference I can see is in the finish.

• 3 months later...

Guys, I have read both answers here on this. If I use Surefire mags with my 223 Saiga, a stock mag right out of the package, will it work and feed correctly? I keep reading and one will say "man I have had no probs", then I read "man they suck". Which is true? What is the consensus? If they need modification why would people buy em at 40 bucks a pop? Does this prob exist with all caliber Surefires? Thanks guys.

• 8 months later...
Guys, I have read both answers here on this. If I use Surefire mags with my 223 Saiga, a stock mag right out of the package, will it work and feed correctly? I keep reading and one will say "man I have had no probs", then I read "man they suck". Which is true? What is the consensus? If they need modification why would people buy em at 40 bucks a pop? Does this prob exist with all caliber Surefires? Thanks guys.

I use both Promag and Surefire Sagia specific magazines with my 223 SAIGA with no modification to magazine or weapon. They work great

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2) Commercial bullet guide for using .223/5.56 Galil (including Orlite) and Bulgarian mags in your .223 Saiga:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mp;&do=findComment&comment=120821

(Thanks, dinzag! ;>)

im getting a bronken link for this. anyone else?

Edited by GregM1
  • 5 months later...

I having issues with my 223 Saiga, all original except using Surefire mag's. The round will start the load and hit the side of the barrel, approximately 20% off center. Doesn't seem to do it with the stock mag, although I haven't put as many rounds through the stock mag as the Surefires.

I tried sanding (400 grit) the plate in the Surefire as it seemed to be catching the back of the round in the hole for the spring. Seemed to work at first but still getting a jam.

Any idea's

• 2 years later...

Yes,the factory mag works fine, no issues. When I use the Surefires the rounds do not load correctly. No pattern to the misfeed, it csan happen after 3 rounds or 25 rounds. The bullet will impact into the side of the barrel.

jim

Are you sure you have the Surefire that has 'Saiga' stamped on the side of it? I have a Surefire and I haven't had any of those problems.