longer range accuracy

greetings everybody, i'm glad to find such a lively forum as this for saiga's. i recently found out about them, and wonder about their accuracy. i live in michigan but travel to montana annually, with some friends, for prarie dog "hunting" (finding). i would like to purchase a gun of my own (i've been using my dad's .22-250), and price is a very big factor in my purchase. i would like to buy a gun new, and have narrowed my choices down to either a saiga .223 or the H&R ultra hunter varmint rifle, single shot. i would like the multiple shot semi-auto, for follow up shots, but am not sure off the accuracy. the price for both is around $200. one of my friends has the h&r rifle, and i know it shoots straight. i'm not totally positive about the ranges, i think about 400 yards... but they're at the point where you can't quite distinguish them with a naked eye, you need a scope or binoculars to see them... can a siaga shoot like that, or should i go with the h&r, or a different gun altogether? thanks for your time!

I have had a Saiga AK for a long time and I just recently added the .223. Without a doubt, they are some of the most reliable guns made - and a LOT of fun to shoot.

Others in this forum with more experience with the .223 will advise you better than I could. However, I would have to say that I LOVE my Saiga but would not think that it is consistently accurate enough at over 250 yards for prarie dogs. I was looking for 2" 100 yard groups and that's what I got from mine.

jAK-47

Do not believe you will be satisfied with Saiga at longer ranges, esp when going for the prarie dogs. Prarie dogs require precision shooting. The Saiga is great for plinking out to about 100 to 150 yards. Cans, plastic bottles and like items. They are not target or varmit pieces. You can nail a coyote with the Saiga at the 100 to 150 yard range as he's a pretty good size target. You won't be able to place your shot but you'll hit him somewhere. If you are going for the population of dogtown and are limited in funds get the New England Firearms single shot with a heavy barrel and decent scope or better yet, save some more bucks and obtain a decent bolt action in 223 or 22-250 or something of that type. Don't get me wrong, the Saiga is a decent piece and a lot of fun but not a long range varmiter.

Hi

Well you can get a second shot quicker with a saiga but at long range praire dogs, you will need it.

With a stock saiga, some good ammo and a properly mounted scope, you can maybe shoot around 2-3" at 100 yards. It depends on how well you handle a heavy trigger. You may also have some trouble with hte eye relief on the scope with the current stock set-up of a saiga. The rifle stock is really too long for a standard side mount scope.

Well I guess I have been talking you out of a saiga so far because of the fact you want a long range p.d. gun. A saiga can be really fun in the right situation.

thanks for the advice guys! lol you didn't talk me out of a saiga. i'm probably just going to get the 12 gauge, it seems like a really good gun, and is much safer to use in michigan than any high powered rifle. i'll just stick with borrowing a .22-250 for out west. p.s. i love the smilies.

Dry_Gulcher If anyone 'out west' has a bolt action 30-06 try some accelerator rounds on those P.D.'s! It's like a .223 on steroids! (ps-you'll LOVE theS-12!)

G O B

Edited by G O B

hehe :rolleyes: . i'll ask next time we go out, i don't think so though.however, for the .22-250 and the .223's, we use the TNT fragmenting bullets. the 250 bullets get about 4000 fps, and once you get the hang of them, you can make prarie dogs fly. (aim right below their middle). that way your shoulder doesnt get so sore after a few hours of shooting... but they'd be really fun to try :devil:

oh yes- we don't have a 30-06 around here, but we do have an old Yugo 8mm mauser, perhaps we can do the same with that... except again, probably not the best idea for southern michigan.

Edited by dry_gulcher

Thought I would add this to this topic.

I am about to go where no saiga has gone before. I am in the process of buying material to turn my saiga barrel into a carbon fiber composite barrel. I have the cabon fiber sleeves coming and I am looking for some high temp epoxy resin. I plan to put on 3 layers of carbon fiber and then see how it shoots. I will go up to 6 or 8 layers if I am not satisfied. My goal is under 1" at 100 yards with "choice" ammo and under 2" with the plinker ammo. Material cost will be around $75 for the barrel but alot of time will be needed.

My goal since I got the saiga has been to produce an accurate 223 semi-auto with out having to go to the AR plateform. So far I have about $350 out of pocket (plus alot of my time) and it is shooting around 2". I am not the first to do this with a barrel but I am the only one I know who is taking the time to do it with an AK version gun.

It's the overall rifle design that prevents it from being as accurate as an AR or bolt-action rifle not just the barrel or the chamber or any 1 part.

I tried tack driving at 50 yd (literally driving tacks) with my VEPR K 7.62x39... I came within a tenth to 1/4" from hitting a push tack downrange. But it wouldn't touch it. :(

I think there's a reason why they make Varmint packages for ARs :)