Barrel Porting

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried to port their Saiga 12 barrel for faster follow-up shots, especially for three-gun competition? Since a combination choke and muzzle break is rare, I would rather have a Poly-Choke on my Saiga 12 and find another way of reducing recoil besides using a screw-on-muzzle device. Has anyone tried Magnaporting and were you still able to use No. 7.5 shot reliably? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried to port their Saiga 12 barrel for faster follow-up shots, especially for three-gun competition? Since a combination choke and muzzle break is rare, I would rather have a Poly-Choke on my Saiga 12 and find another way of reducing recoil besides using a screw-on-muzzle device. Has anyone tried Magnaporting and were you still able to use No. 7.5 shot reliably? Thanks in advance for your comments.

I can tell you in a few days . I have a 20 gauge coming in any day . Im going to cut it down from 22 to 18.5 inches and use a port jig and port the hell out of it .

Hi Everyone,

Ported and comp chokes are very common for 12 ga shotgung that are threaded for traditional screw in chokes. I'm posting some examples offered in Cheaper Than Dirt.

post-4064-1172030486.jpg

post-4064-1172030545.jpg

post-4064-1172030602.jpg

post-4064-1172030656.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I can tell you in a few days . I have a 20 gauge coming in any day . Im going to cut it down from 22 to 18.5 inches and use a port jig and port the hell out of it .

Will I think we already talked about this but when you chop the bbl on a S-20 be prepared to remove the GB and enlarge the ports if you want it to cycle with all loads.

As long as you're going to cut it down, why don't you try the porting in the 22" barrel and see how it shoots. Also, you can tell what will happen to the chrome lined barrel when the drill goes through. I've been curious how well it will work in a Saiga.

Hi Everyone,

Will I think we already talked about this but when you chop the bbl on a S-20 be prepared to remove the GB and enlarge the ports if you want it to cycle with all loads.

Yeah, I copied all the info on the forum. My buddy with the gun shop got himself a new AR-10 today. Boy that thing is sweet. Bad front end heavy , but zero recoil.

Edited by will36

As long as you're going to cut it down, why don't you try the porting in the 22" barrel and see how it shoots. Also, you can tell what will happen to the chrome lined barrel when the drill goes through. I've been curious how well it will work in a Saiga.

May do that. My bud is a 3rd generation gunsmith. His dad worked for Iver johnson for years. Not much he has not done. Ill keep everyone posted on it.

I've done it.The cost of the tool is less than $10. A means to hold the barrel is helpful. Can sussessfully be done if your handy? Do a search in the forum. mikeNM

what type of tool could do this for 10.00? Now i'm curious. I spent a while getting my gas running right after cutting my barrel down to 18.5" from 22, so it would take a few weekends of pondering and a few beers prior to the drill, but please share your results!!