Bad crimp or setback?

Hi, All

This was the only empty I got out of my 20" Saiga in 7.62x39 while at an indoor range, yesterday. All the others went forward at about 45 degrees. One of my buddies reckons I had a problem with this round. What do you think? The second shoulder seems suspect, IMHO.

TIA

case01.jpg

crimp01.jpg

primer01.jpg

Hi, All

This was the only empty I got out of my 20" Saiga in 7.62x39 while at an indoor range, yesterday. All the others went forward at about 45 degrees. One of my buddies reckons I had a problem with this round. What do you think? The second shoulder seems suspect, IMHO.

TIA

case01.jpg

crimp01.jpg

primer01.jpg

Looks like the round is ejecting before the pressure drops down to safe levels.

You might do a search or look at some of the more recent threads. I read on here that the second "shoulder" on there was to seperate the military guns from the civilian guns. Only the civilian made rifles made that dimpling above the shoulder, or at least that's what I read on here.

it was a bit more in depth, I'm sure a search would find the answer.

EDIT: Dur, uh, it's in the stickies above the regular posts and listed as "case neck swelling pics". I knew I read it in here, but didn;t know it was right there.

Edited by urotu
LOL! Well there ya go! The easiest way to lose something around here is to sticky it or put it in the tech section... :lolol:

OH DEAR! ( Actually, that's not what i said the first time) Spot the poster with the red face. :wub:

So, would you like me to post my pictures in the sticky as a further example? I still think that primer strike looks odd.

So, would you like me to post my pictures in the sticky as a further example? I still think that primer strike looks odd.

just looks like your commie rifle beating up on some softer american primers, at least that is my call. That being said I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again

just looks like your commie rifle beating up on some softer american primers, at least that is my call. That being said I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again

Yea, I'm gonna hafta +1 with Joe on that one. My commie rifles beat the snot out of the expensive brass stuff. I find cases creased, bent in half and cracked down the middle in thier usual 2:00 possition 15 yards away and they ALL have that same shoulder stamp. They come out hot too from what I've heard! I try to get in the shooting lanes to the right but sometimes there is a stubborn ass that makes me take a left lane. He changes his mind after a few of these rain down on him.

Don't worry about posting this anywhere else, our mods are among the most elite and stealthy at moving shit around!

Saigas shoulder stamp the cases like that. Sometimes one shoulder, sometimes two. I don't know why, I've heard of a few reasons. Thats just what they do. No worries, its just the nature of the beast. Like the time I put a nice big mushroom stamp on Gaddis's forehead!

Saigas shoulder stamp the cases like that. Sometimes one shoulder, sometimes two. I don't know why, I've heard of a few reasons.

Supposedly the double radius indentations in the cartridge neck are a result of Russian firearms law, so they can tell a cartridge fired from a nonmilitary AK from a military one.