• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Updated the look thanks to some new parts    

Saiga 308 by AZArmory    

Did a little custom work to the ole' 308.             For the Gas Tube. I took out the spot welds and move to the front of the Tube and re spot welded. Top wood was cut back on t

Posted Images

Here's my two S.308s!

The top is my 22" saiga with a Tactical Grip, K-Var Nato Length Buttstock, Texas Weapon Systems "Dog Leg Rail"

And soon I'll get the Harris Bi-pod, a decent scope and perhaps the DPH tri rail.

The bottom is my safe queen.

16" Saiga .308, Ace internal block, ACE skeleton stock, Ergo grip. Soon to have the DPH quad rail, perhaps a Texas Weapon Systems "Dog Leg Rail", AND a Push button folding Mechanism.

post-21780-12596970767502_thumb.jpg

Here's my two S.308s!

The top is my 22" saiga with a Tactical Grip, K-Var Nato Length Buttstock, Texas Weapon Systems "Dog Leg Rail"

And soon I'll get the Harris Bi-pod, a decent scope and perhaps the DPH tri rail.

The bottom is my safe queen.

16" Saiga .308, Ace internal block, ACE skeleton stock, Ergo grip. Soon to have the DPH quad rail, perhaps a Texas Weapon Systems "Dog Leg Rail", AND a Push button folding Mechanism.

ZAS,

Very nice work! I like your choice of mods for both rifles.

~ alaj70

Edited by alaj70

Finlander: Nice work!

I know I sound like a broken record, and I promise I'm not with the company.. but have you checked out the Texas Weapon Systems "Dog Leg Rail"?

The main reason I push the thing is; it's dead center on the rifle that it's mounted to, its not permanent, you can clean with it on (no funky removal needed.) It's always zeroed. And lastly, it comes with a small flip up sight! The only down side.. you have to get high rise scope rings.

By the way, I see that magazine isn't a poly one..

I'm a little jealous. <_< Make it yourself?

Alaj70: Thank you! If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have put the skeleton stock on the 16".. it really limited my range of stock options and if need be, quick stock switch outs and repairs.

But it is sturdy!

Edited by ZA_Survivalist

Finlander: Nice work!

I know I sound like a broken record, and I promise I'm not with the company.. but have you checked out the Texas Weapon Systems "Dog Leg Rail"?

The main reason I push the thing is; it's dead center on the rifle that it's mounted to, its not permanent, you can clean with it on (no funky removal needed.) It's always zeroed. And lastly, it comes with a small flip up sight! The only down side.. you have to get high rise scope rings.

By the way, I see that magazine isn't a poly one..

I'm a little jealous. <_< Make it yourself?

Alaj70: Thank you! If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have put the skeleton stock on the 16".. it really limited my range of stock options and if need be, quick stock switch outs and repairs.

But it is sturdy!

Yeah, Beryl style scope mount would be interesting to try even though I don't exactly like the way they look. Hard to get any nice stuff from US to Europe nowadays, though.

The magazine is a five round M14 one, works ok. The bolt hits the follower when mag is empty, though, so it's kinda bolt-hold-open which I don't like.

Here's mine.

Before - Saiga...

P1070459.jpg

After - Saiganov... (sorry for the crappy cell phone pic)

photo4-2.jpg

It now has a Choate Dragunov stock, Tapco Intrafuse forend (not really my first choice, but the price was right), and a modified Tapco G2 from Dinzag Arms, I also just ordered a 20 rounder from csspecs. About the only thing I would really like to do now is swap the scope for something else with a little more power (this one is just a 4x), but until my buddy gets his range reworked, I'm not shooting over 75 yards anyways...

Here's mine.

Before - Saiga...

P1070459.jpg

After - Saiganov... (sorry for the crappy cell phone pic)

photo4-2.jpg

It now has a Choate Dragunov stock, Tapco Intrafuse forend (not really my first choice, but the price was right), and a modified Tapco G2 from Dinzag Arms, I also just ordered a 20 rounder from csspecs. About the only thing I would really like to do now is swap the scope for something else with a little more power (this one is just a 4x), but until my buddy gets his range reworked, I'm not shooting over 75 yards anyways...

Ahhh!!! The Tapco "intrefuse" hand guard! I'm not a "Gear Freak" but that Hand-guard really got on my nerves it also lead to some deep scratches on my Saiganov.

But if it works for you, GREAT!

Nice conversion by the way!

A Saiga .308 is better than no Saiga .308!

If the DPH rails weren't so d*** expensive I'd buy a few right now! =]

Ahhh!!! The Tapco "intrefuse" hand guard! I'm not a "Gear Freak" but that Hand-guard really got on my nerves it also lead to some deep scratches on my Saiganov.

But if it works for you, GREAT!

Nice conversion by the way!

A Saiga .308 is better than no Saiga .308!

If the DPH rails weren't so d*** expensive I'd buy a few right now! =]

Yeah, I really didn't want to go with the Tapco, but it works for now and it looks half way decent. I don't care for rails all over the place, I have no need for them and I don't like the look, so this will do for now. I would like to make some kind of a free floated forend to put on there, but that's going to be a ways off...

Hey, have you shot your 16" yet?! Man, my ears are still ringing from the last trip I took! :cryss:

I've shot it unconverted but, not like it is now. I'm having a problem with the safety. The problem is, there isn't one. If I pull the trigger, the hammer strikes even with the saftey on! I'm going to figure it out before I take it out for a test run.

picture812.jpg

This is an eight round group before it was converted. I was impressed about the accuracy of this gun. It makes my 7.62x39mm AK grouping look like dog shit.

That safety probem is common. It is because you changed the Fire Control Group. The safety that came with the gun in it's original has been altered to accomodate that funny long trigger. In other words, they shortened the tab that comed down to hold your tirgger from releasing the hammer. I just used silver solder and put a good bead on it and filed it down so that it would fit nicely. It has no stress or wear points, other than it stops the upward movement of the trigger when you have the safety in position. Read about it in the .308 forum as a stick marked "Safety Problem" here: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=11427

If you're good welding you can put a bronze bead across the bar that meets the trigger group as well.

That safety probem is common. It is because you changed the Fire Control Group. The safety that came with the gun in it's original has been altered to accomodate that funny long trigger. In other words, they shortened the tab that comed down to hold your tirgger from releasing the hammer. I just used silver solder and put a good bead on it and filed it down so that it would fit nicely. It has no stress or wear points, other than it stops the upward movement of the trigger when you have the safety in position. Read about it in the .308 forum as a stick marked "Safety Problem" here: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=11427

If you're good welding you can put a bronze bead across the bar that meets the trigger group as well.

Thank you sir. You have saved me a bunch of headache and time on figuring it out myself.

Wear ear protectors! I use them even when shooting the .22 pistol.

The thing is, I was wearing a pair! :lol:

Still pretty loud. I saw you mentioned you had a S.223

I was thinking about purchasing a Saiga .223 and installing the AR magazine adapter, seeings how I already have an AR15..

I was going for a nice Galil, Daewoo, or perhaps even an AR180. Those are getting hard to find in my neck of the woods.I'm a fan of the piston system.. but I don't have the money for the new AR-15 gas piston systems. :(

But man, You just can't beat the AK design! SO the top choice is the Saiga .223 but I've yet to read reviews on the MSA Mag adapter. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

What thread is that compensator I really like it!

It is 5/8"-24...

Who here knows of anyone who can thread a Saiga .308 bbl in OREGON for a decent price?

I was quoted a price.. but $300-$400 seems a little steep.

Do it yourself, I did mine in a little over an hour. Dinzag can hook you up with everything you need, $30 for the die rental and $35 to have him rework your FSB and a little bit of your time is all it will cost you. I also recrowned my barrel while I was at it since it was pretty ugly, that was $20 for the tool rental

Nah, just to thread the bbl on my current rifle he said that it would cost BIG$$ to turn down the bbl and thread it.

Does anyone know if K-Var sells some other Front Sight Block that is much like that of the AK74 threaded FSB but chambered for 7.62 and can be pinned in place of my current FSB?