• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Updated the look thanks to some new parts    

Saiga 308 by AZArmory    

Did a little custom work to the ole' 308.             For the Gas Tube. I took out the spot welds and move to the front of the Tube and re spot welded. Top wood was cut back on t

Posted Images

Good results at 100 yards.

IMG_7049.jpg

IMG_7046.jpg

Nice shooting! What type/power scope is that and what mount?

Thanks, The scope is a Leaper's scope with magnification 3-9x50mm. The mount is a solid aluminum Leapers side-rail. I think its a great entry level system for anyone who does not want to break the bank for good optics. This just goes to show you that a thousand dollar scope is not really required at these ranges.

Edited by Drinking Beer

Good results at 100 yards.

IMG_7049.jpg

IMG_7046.jpg

Nice shooting! What type/power scope is that and what mount?

Thanks, The scope is a Leaper's scope with magnification 3-9x50mm. The mount is a solid aluminum Leapers side-rail. I think its a great entry level system for anyone who does not want to break the bank for good optics. This just goes to show you that a thousand dollar scope is not really required at these ranges.

Yeah I agree. If I were a Marine Scout Sniper going on a recon mission - then I'd go with the $1,000 scope. But for plinking and hog hunting, the Truglo 4x (~$80) with BP-02 mount (~$50) on my setup suits me just finebiggrin.png .

• Like 1

My S.308

It isnt done yet, switching to a TWS rail and thinking about getting the top rail to CSS tri rail to mount a front sight because I'm thinking about doing away with the front sight and just threading the bbl and not having to worry about repinning..also in the works, playing with the idea of welding a front HK sight on the gas tube.. but I'm not too set on that idea.

post-21780-0-67667600-1335029086_thumb.jpg

post-21780-0-29262300-1335029094_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZA_Survivalist
  • Like 3

AZA, between you and Pyzik those are by far the best S.308s I've seen yet. Kudos sir.

Just wanted to clarify, that is not my .308. I just quoted AKGunner's posted pics. It is very nice though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

gallery_33171_687_239338.jpg

Here it is again with the rest of my accessories. I was thinking Saiganov but this one might end up with an RPK stock if I convert it.

gallery_33171_687_89384.jpg

5 shot group in 2 inch target at 100m

gallery_33171_687_11695.jpg

Edited by Jaba1017
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished the last big component of what I'm going for on mine today. I converted it a few weeks ago but was out of town for work so today was the first chance to get in the garage and get it done. First I rounded down the bolt release so it would be flush when in lock and barely protrude when disengaged, then removed the FSB, recrowned the muzzle, turned down the barrel for the FSB to be moved back and threaded it 5/8x24 so I could toss a dyna comp on it (love those) and then welded a Choate extended op handle from an 1100 Tac 4 on the left side of the bolt carrier and trimmed the dust cover. Tomorrow I'm going to test fire it and if all goes well I'll take it all down and blast it so I can cerakote it one night this week. Once I'm comfortable with the new op handle I'll cut the right hand one and cerakote (c series) the bolt carrier as well.

WP_000291.jpg

WP_000292-1.jpg

WP_000295.jpg

WP_000294.jpg

WP_000293-1.jpg

WP_000296.jpg

WP_000298.jpg

• Like 4

Just finished the last big component of what I'm going for on mine today. I converted it a few weeks ago but was out of town for work so today was the first chance to get in the garage and get it done. First I rounded down the bolt release so it would be flush when in lock and barely protrude when disengaged, then removed the FSB, recrowned the muzzle, turned down the barrel for the FSB to be moved back and threaded it 5/8x24 so I could toss a dyna comp on it (love those) and then welded a Choate extended op handle from an 1100 Tac 4 on the left side of the bolt carrier and trimmed the dust cover. Tomorrow I'm going to test fire it and if all goes well I'll take it all down and blast it so I can cerakote it one night this week. Once I'm comfortable with the new op handle I'll cut the right hand one and cerakote (c series) the bolt carrier as well.

WP_000291.jpg

WP_000292-1.jpg

WP_000295.jpg

WP_000294.jpg

WP_000293-1.jpg

WP_000296.jpg

WP_000298.jpg

Wicked!!! Love the LH charging handle!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

my Saiga-308-01

Dinzag's Arsenal 2-Stage FCG centered with some metric bushings -

i didn't get his .308 fire control group - got lucky w/safety engagement.

after dealing w/ trigger centering & different geometry, i'd go with the 308 specific FCG next time -

Choate stock LOP cut to 12-1/2" - i am SHORT

The forend is a lucky combo of machinery parts and tubing TIG'd/ bolted. Gas tube is mounted by the standard lever-lock on the RSB & just forward to a 2 piece locking collar. nothing touches the barrel forward of the locking collar. the whole thing also bolts to the receiver in the standard saiga spot.

TIG'd the factory front sight to a fitting (measured like 200 times), set-screwed to the gas block.

too much time (?) and not quite enough $$$ - so i DIY'd these mods, but the whole rifle seems extra solid now - i will see how it all holds up/maintains zero in use

really needs better photos, scope/mount, modified safety, muzzle treatment, lots of expensive mags........or an AR 308 mag adapter(???)....and...

post-26577-0-58214600-1341689527_thumb.jpg

post-26577-0-64286300-1341689564_thumb.jpg

post-26577-0-68779600-1341689592_thumb.jpg

post-26577-0-63972800-1342015303_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt s
  • Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

my Saiga-308-01

after dealing w/ trigger centering & different geometry, i'd go with the 308 specific FCG next time -

The forend is a lucky combo of machinery parts and tubing TIG'd/ bolted. Gas tube is mounted by the standard lever-lock on the RSB & just forward to a 2 piece locking collar. nothing touches the barrel forward of the locking collar. the whole thing also bolts to the receiver in the standard saiga spot.

TIG'd the factory front sight to a fitting (measured like 200 times), set-screwed to the gas block.

too much time (?) and not quite enough $$$ - so i DIY'd these mods, but the whole rifle seems extra solid now - i will see how it all holds up/maintains zero in use

really needs better photos, scope/mount, modified safety, muzzle treatment, lots of expensive mags........or an AR 308 mag adapter(???)....and...

I Really Like what you did there, that looks like one of the best i've seen in all 22 pages of this thread, especially for a DIY job. I'm curious about what paint you used (I really like that paint job and need a can of that)? How much weight did it add or drop? If you've had a chance to shoot it yet? And finally, as a fellow diminutively statured man, I feel your pain with standard LOP on rifles, I always want everything closer in to my shoulder. I was thinking of doing similiar mods to a VEPR .308.

• Like 1

my Saiga-308-01

this is superb

thanks fellas -

as to the weight/balance - the original furniture is pretty light, so i am sure i've added an ounce or few, but you can see from the way i am holding it that it will balance somewhere in the magazine (loaded). that's w/ a red dot up front, but no muzzle device yet -so...?

for what my guess is worth, i think a standard position scope and mount will bring the balance back a little further. the choate stock moves the weight back a some as well.

LOP : i cut the stock and remounted the good buttplate/pad that came w/ it - real PITA.

for us shorties on any other stock, i've just cut 'em and added a slip on limbsaver, w/ a strip of inner-tube to really hold it on/seal it - 12" or 12-1/2" is long enough for me and what i am usually wearing.

and i'm glad if the colors are appealing, but it's just krylon from The Mart and wears off where you handle it. Dura Coat/ epoxy etc. would be much better and doesn't cost much more.

i really need to range test it now properly and see what it can do.

thanx for the feed back -matt

Edited by matt s

one more thing Gulo, w/ a VEPR you can use an ultimak gas tube. i only modified the factory gas tube/mounting system because they don't have a model to fit the Saiga-308 heavy, tapered barrel.

and with some imagination an ultimak could probably be made to work on the Saiga-308 - maybe it's been done already???

Edited by matt s

Ended up Cerakoting mine last month but forgot to put up the pics, not sure if I'm going to keep the factory handguard but otherwise it's ready to go.

WP_000309.jpg

saiga2.jpg

Put just over 300 rds through it since the conversion and it's running like a champ.

• Like 5

one more thing Gulo, w/ a VEPR you can use an ultimak gas tube. i only modified the factory gas tube/mounting system because they don't have a model to fit the Saiga-308 heavy, tapered barrel.

and with some imagination an ultimak could probably be made to work on the Saiga-308 - maybe it's been done already???

I was thinking something along these lines: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1367/Saiga-rifle-forearm-Ar/Detail

yes - that's where i got the idea! they attach up front with some proprietary mount and look really nice.

no free float effect, but that is not really necessary. the price is right too.

like mine, the vent holes allow you to mount rail sections where you want them.

of course, a look at Frmr0317's rifle above should show that the factory guard can still look nice and clean on a really good rifle. lightweight, cool and comfortable too - which is more than can be said of many forends.

Edited by matt s