• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Updated the look thanks to some new parts    

Saiga 308 by AZArmory    

Did a little custom work to the ole' 308.             For the Gas Tube. I took out the spot welds and move to the front of the Tube and re spot welded. Top wood was cut back on t

Posted Images

I'd like to join in. No camera to work with, perhaps I can use the computer cam here somehow.

My little frind is a Redstick AK108 16" barrel. (would be cool if it was a bull barrel like I had on the Vepr K in 223.)

I cut the tang and did the internal Block thing from ACE.

The Stock is the shortest ACE I could get to bring it to the length of the Galil I used to have (9.5") With the Pad and the Folding adaptor I am probably there as the Stock was 7.5 If I have that right.

I braided a cover of three color 550 cord over the cheek tube on the stock. (No need really, except a handy place to carry some kit and "but it's cool!")

I miss the Steel of the FAL style Galil Stock. Simply a skull crusher.

I miss the original configuration ACE stock with the shoulder catch like was on some FALs, I miss their orignial FAL grip for the AK. (FAL was right on the PG, it was the best angle ever....ever.

The Tapco Saw Grip in green will have to do.

I found one of the last KVar KV-04 Mounts for my ACOG. I used the TA55 Mount since it was laying about. (no need for a nice ARMS QR, that is just a redundant expense with the KVar. IF there was a Due cover or over the Cover Mount being used, yes, go get the ARMS QR lever, single lever)

Bought and fitted the TDI lower forend in Green. (Fitting made this tight work)

UTG Vertical Grip is on the Front

I placed the touch pad for the Sportsmand Guide 500lum rechargable Light on the Right side in the pad grove.(Cheap Light, I had money for SF's in the past, there are LED systems out now for about $100, and I have been tempted, but the reality was the light was for renegade Bear and Puma on my Parent's mountian. In Combat I will remain invisible, so the light is of little use, so invest only a little.)

On the left is the 35mw Green laser ($152) cheepie with the touch pad above the RIght Groove, for my left index finger. (Again, of little use. it gives away ones position, but at night one can navigate in the woods with it shooting down in front of you. It is useful in combat when the stock is folded and you need to hit something fron the hip.)

(Note on Lasers: Close to bore line is best. Close to Muzzle means fouling and will be obstructed quickly. The TDI Forend is a good distance away, and still allows for left ahnd cradling, but the further back and on the left, the better for uninterrupted use. Under is really not reasonable with the Bipod option and Barricade position that one might need to employ. So, think about it.)

The Laser is set for 21 feet, average combat shooting distance in US. When inside or out and no time to raise the weapon.

I have kept the Cleaning rod on.

This machine comes with the Bulgarian Flashhider and the 24mm threaded attachment point. (Wish I had a suppressor. Those who are invisible in Battle are not the ones that are not seen, but the ones not making enough noise and flash to be noticed amongst the perceived threats.)

She is topped off with a Bulgarian AK Bayonet. I got the ugly wood looking Bakelite one, not the Black one I found a week later for $10 less. (grrrr) So it is wrapped in 3 color Wooldand tape. (Would look more terrifying with the Smith and Wesson Bayo http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Smith-Wesson-SW3B-Special-Ops-M9-Bayonet-Black-Handle-Blade-Nylon-Sheath/37166/Cat/19?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=livesearchcashback

Sling? Hah! Forget about that tangled mess. Used to love the Triangular combat sling. Now it is just a Spec Ops Wolf Hook on the Web Gear. (Let the gun fall and hang transition to the G30 with 27 rd recharges.

I love the ACOG, day or night it is ready. I trust it. It is not too long, and I do not expect this to be a target Rifle as I expected of the HK91's and never received. (Sorry HK91 with the KA TRi Rail and ACOG, you felt like an AR15 in recoil, but too long and too expensive with all of those buyers who wanted you.)

This is a Battle Rifle, so hits at 800 on the BDC of the ACOG Will be a gift from Heaven, but that is OK.

800m is safe, but I would not really want to be giving away my presence or position unless absolutely necessary. In that case the Bayonet might be getting wet, (Played some paintball agianst some E. Tenn Mtn. Boys. They got terrified when they hemmed me in and I charged their position. Never over estimate you opponents confidence, it can be turned against them to their terror. )

Remember, the safest place in a Nuclear War is in your Enemy's Lap.....Think of the last place your Enemy will think to find you, and be right behind them when they get there, Use your strengths against their weaknesses. Deception is you greatest weapon.

Blah blah blah, ramble ramble ramble

This is the picture thread! Do you see any other member posting full pages of rant on here? I don't! PICTURE THREAD. there are plenty of other places to ramble. Please keep the picture thread for puctures! Welcome to theforum. Now barrow your friends camera, take a pic, and upload it with your/your friends/anyones computer.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Just posted my S12 on the S12 pics forum, now putting out my S308. All items were purchased from CSS, minus the bipod/foreward grip and the red-dot. The 20 round mags all worked flawlessly, using South African Berdan primed mil-sup. Going to put a good scope on it next, and get it dialed in. The barrel and chamber are chrome lined. CSS support was awesome, got me through this and the S12 conversion, if you're considering it, I would highly recommend them.

post-27302-0-84930100-1295814956_thumb.jpg

Where do I get that beautiful wood furniture?

Which wood?

This wood?

Factory Russian thumbhole stock and forearm.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s190/ChileRelleno/vortex3.jpg

Or this wood?

Tapco Timbersmith, available in the colored laminates, natural Birch or unfinished Birch.

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc338/esource2000/Saiga06-06-10-1.jpg

Or some other wood?

Lots of various factory stocks and forearms have been modified to work, and some companies such as IronWood designs make custom furniture.

This is the latest iteration of my S308. Been working on reducing the weight. Just replaced that heavy ass (but very noce) Magpul PRS stock with a DPH skeleton stock (much lighter). My next item to get is the TWS "dog leg" rail, when that gets out of "beta". I really like these new UINTA mags.

post-10789-0-02204000-1296376110_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-79846600-1296376122_thumb.jpg

post-10789-0-46320100-1296376133_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-75797700-1296376146_thumb.jpg

post-10789-0-45018900-1296376156_thumb.jpg post-10789-0-82498300-1296376168_thumb.jpg

post-10789-0-26515500-1296376179_thumb.jpg

My next item to get is the TWS "dog leg" rail, when that gets out of "beta". I really like these new UINTA mags.

I have the TWSDLG2 on my S308 and UINTA mags and the both work/look great. Kindof like you're new stock there. Mighty fine!

Looking at the close-up pics I just figured out why my trigger guard wouldn't fit correctly: I was trying to install it turned the wrong way. Jeez ... what an idiot. That Engineering degree I got so long ago sure has been a big help. :cryss:

Anyway, here's my humble first efforts again with a few new doodads. I have a Nikon Monarch mildot on the way, other than that it's ready for the first SDM competition of the year in March.

S308-1.jpg

Nice clean setup, snakum. What is that cheek piece on the buttstock?

Good old pipe insulation underneath a Tac Ops stock pack from my long range bolt gun. I sometimes use just the insulation. Tis quite ghetto ... but works well. :smoke: I love that Drag stock above, it's really a sweet setup. I need to find out more about it.

Hope to shoot this morning to see how accuracy is improved with the bipod and new grip position using Brown Bear FMJs. I'm going to try some of my 308 handloads that I worked up for my FCP-K in it too. I load 43.3gr of 4895 under 168gr Amaxes, which may be hot for a semi-auto. So I won't shoot more than one five-shot group just to see what they'll do. I'm going to work up something specifically for the S308 next week for an upcoming SDM comp.

Edited by Snakum

Since the wood grain was boring and I didn't like the color much, I refinished it. Before and after pics:

308grous004.jpg

While I like the color... The finish looks sloppy as hell.

Yes indeed. The varnish ended up running as it dried. It's also a little more glossy than I care for. I need to sand it down with some fine sandpaper to get rid of the waviness and maybe give it another coat. Maybe this time diluted with linseed oil so it's less likely to form ridges when it runs/dries. Probably would be less glossy too. It's hard to get that shit even. Even when you do, it takes a day to dry and gravity takes its toll. But for right now, I'm sick of fucking with stain and varnish.

I'm pretty happy with the way the color turned out though. It's got a nice marbled look.

My .308 with bells & whistles.... and I know...convert convert convert...laterpost-24333-0-24775200-1292349379_thumb.jpg

I plan on converting this to AK configuration, PG where it SHOULD be FINALLY!

You guys all gave the the confidence to go ahead with convering my .308. My 7.62 will be next after the .308