22" Saiga .308 Rifle:

TEMP_saiga_308_22-inch_1.JPG

TEMP_saiga_308_22-inch_2.JPG

Rifle Specs:

* Saiga rifle, imported by Russian American Armory

* .308 Win / 7.62x51

* 554 mm (21.8") barrel

* Bolt carrier hand polished with Dremel tool and Cratex polishing cones/wheels

* Tapco Intrafuse hand guard, modified to accept sling swivel stud for mounting either a sling or Harris-style bi-pod.

* UTG AR-15 buttstock adapter

* Rock River Arms Entry buttstock w/ KNS sling swivel mount, and Limbsaver buttpad.

* Hogue AK-47 (USA-made) pistol grip

* Standard AK-47 style front sight

* Krebs Custom 800m rear peep sight

* Tapco G2 single hook FCG, ALL contact surfaces polished, and hammer modified to retain the bolt hold open function.

* Factory 8-round magazine

* Dura-Coat "H&K Black" paint

Please feel free to offer comments, or ask questions.

Cheers!

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Updated the look thanks to some new parts    

Saiga 308 by AZArmory    

Did a little custom work to the ole' 308.             For the Gas Tube. I took out the spot welds and move to the front of the Tube and re spot welded. Top wood was cut back on t

Posted Images

Okay, I gotta' play! Here's mine:

Choate "Dragonov" stock w/low cheek piece

Redfield 2-7X33 scope in Weaver rings on a BP02 low side mount

Red-Dot optic on side is Vortex StrikeFire in a DPH mount

Dinzag 2-stage trigger

SGM magazine

post-1577-0-01748900-1297275322_thumb.jpg

Edited by Old SF MJT

Meet Ivan!

22" Saiga .308 Rifle:

TEMP_saiga_308_22-inch_1.JPG

TEMP_saiga_308_22-inch_2.JPG

Rifle Specs:

* Saiga rifle, imported by Russian American Armory

* .308 Win / 7.62x51

* 554 mm (21.8") barrel

* Bolt carrier hand polished with Dremel tool and Cratex polishing cones/wheels

* Tapco Intrafuse hand guard, modified to accept sling swivel stud for mounting either a sling or Harris-style bi-pod.

* UTG AR-15 buttstock adapter

* Rock River Arms Entry buttstock w/ KNS sling swivel mount, and Limbsaver buttpad.

* Hogue AK-47 (USA-made) pistol grip

* Standard AK-47 style front sight

* Krebs Custom 800m rear peep sight

* Tapco G2 single hook FCG, ALL contact surfaces polished, and hammer modified to retain the bolt hold open function.

* Factory 8-round magazine

* Dura-Coat "H&K Black" paint

Please feel free to offer comments, or ask questions.

Cheers!

I re-refinished my 308 to get rid of the damn varnish wave/drip marks. I mixed the varnish with linseed oil and stain to thin it out. It turned out quite a bit better. Hopefully good enough to impress Mr. Relleno. After all, as a fellow Ver. 21 owner, he is a man of class and distinguished taste in AK furniture. I screwed with the exposure in the top pic so the glare didn't completely drown out the finish. The actual color is what the second pic shows.

I also refinished my SAR-1's original buttstock. It actually has a pretty nice grain pattern. While I was at it, I covered my Tapco SAW pistol grip with a piece of mountain bike innertube. I got sick of looking at the hinges and writing on the damn thing. It turns out the innertube fits just about perfectly (a bit tight) and provides a rubberized grip. I don't expect it will last forever, but it's not that hard to replace. The sheen on the PG was oil from wiping down the stock.

308grous003-1.jpg

308grous001-2.jpg

308grous004-1.jpg

Edited by Dudethebagman

this is as far as i am gonna go with her until i can get to the range for testing. i don't wanna do any permanant modifications until i know she shoots fine.once i know she shoots fine i will do the conversion and the muzzle break.

002.jpg

Edited by byron

got to finally test her out and all went fine so i finally did the conversion. this is how she sits now until i can get new drill bits to finish her up.

convertedak001.jpg

only thing left to do is drill the 2 screw holes for the trigger guard. i tried the safety and everything works right. thanks CSS

just ordered the gas tube, lower retainer and black furniture to make the handguard look more like an ak. should be here in a week or so. thanks again css.

Edited by byron

Is your wood really that much darker than mine, and other's?

I'd love to see another pic in full sunlight, some really showing the grain/patterning.

I really wub my ver.21. :wub:

Here's an outdoor shot. I followed your lead and added a vortex viper, side-mounted, though:

post-26089-0-95942800-1299254176_thumb.jpg

Edited by Koljec

finally got my 308 done. have a look.

looks nice. i had the same rear stock as you but did not like how bulky it looked right behind the reciever so i bought the t6 stock for converted saigas.now i have a t6 for another saiga as if i needed a reason to buy one. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Here's mine ....

8x russian posp

m60 flash

threaded barrel

tapco trigger group

easy switch safety

Did you install the front sight gas block or did someone else do it. First time I've seen that on a .308 looks nice

this is the latest change to the 308. put on the new ak gas tube with tapco black furniture. i had to use dremel to clearance the lower guard.just waiting on dinzag to ship the lower retainer.

Akfurniture001.jpg

Edited by byron

The handgaurd is a modified psl front wood..the scope came with rifle didnt buy it sorry, will ask and see if i can get ya a better answer..Im pretty happy think i got a good deal payed 750 for it, seems to have everything that one would want to have modified done already.

My Ver. 21 is no longer a Ver. 21.

After refinishing all the original wood, I tipped the damn thing over and put a slight crack in the original thumbhole stock. I decided it was ridiculous to have such a fragile stock on an otherwise robust rifle, so I bought a 12 x 12 x 3/4" piece of Baltic birch laminate (plywood) and carved/epoxied my own stock to accommodate the slant-cut receiver. It was a time consuming project, so I don't really recommend DIY if you could just buy a replacement.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Now I can actually have cheek weld rather than chin weld when using my scope. The stock being in line with the bore also helps control muzzle rise.

308grous003-2.jpg

• Like 1