.308 v x39

Am narrowed down to a .308 or a 7.62x39. I thought I was narrowed to the .308 but started reading the x39 section...

Both seem like they would work fine for mid size game (no grizzlies or anything like that) and the x39 seems like it might be able to be easier modified - fcg from bg3, stock ak mags etc. And most off all significantly cheaper to buy. Why would I look at one of the other?

I have learned a lot in a few days (though have not gotten much work done) and I thank you all.

-Scott

Get both :super: After you get one, you'll want others anyway... so just kill two birds.

I started with the S-12 and was satisfied for awile. Then wanted a .308... then that lead to a 7.62. I think that's it though. I don't need a .223 :unsure: .

Yeah, right. . . Remember that Step 1 of any 12-step program is admitting you have a problem! Hello, my name is ????? and I am a Saigaholic.

Edited by Ax-Man

I'm a deer hunter and I use my EBRs hunting. I'm in a situation where I CAN have shots up to 400 yards on some of the food plots that my family plants. However, I also spend a LOT of my hunting time on trail stands where I may have a maximum shot of 30 yards.

Let's face it: 308 is gonna hit a LOT harder than x39 at any range. 308 is also going to be a lot better round if you have to shoot at a distance. This is not saying, however, that x39 doesn't have capabilities for hunting as well.

After going through this thought process myself, I've gone the following route:

On my longer range areas, I use a 308 Saiga or a Remington 700 30-06. In these situations, I just have more confidence that the longer shots are going to hit like I want them to. On these rifles, I have higher magnification optics.

On the trail/brush stands, I use a 7.62x39 AK. These rifles have adequate accuracy and carry sufficient knock-down to handle any deer I'll shoot at closer range. On these rifles, I put on a Non-magnification Red-Dot optic.

That really is the bigger decision: sights.

There is no doubt that long range shots CAN be taken with iron sights or low-powered scopes. Hell, the longest shot I ever took on a deer was using a Remington 700 30-06 using a Fixed magnification 4X scope at a range of 398 yards. The deer fell in its tracks.

Conversely, one of the most stressful shots I ever took on a deer was using a 3x9 X variable scope on a Remington 700 30-06 at 25 yards. The deer was in a full run through medium thickness woods/brush. I had a LOT of trouble getting a sight picture on the my crosshairs due to the movement needed to lead the animal and because of the magnification factor.

In brush/thicker areas where the shots are closer or have a lot of other crap that will get in your sight picture, a non-magnification red-dot scope is going to let you get a much faster sight picture and easier lead on the animal. In longer areas, I do prefer a higher magnification of a 3x9 or 8X PSOP.

Sorry to add another variable to the mix. I just wanted to point out that all of our tools have their function and do better in different ways.

John

Hello, Scott

I'm no hunter, but I'm a big fan of the .308 round. A bunch of "pros", the only "con" that I can come up with is that the .308 ammo is getting pretty pricey.

If you're not going to be doing a ton of plinking, then definately go .308.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

For me it's the x39 for longer ranges I would use a bolt rifle with a good scope, with in 150 yards or so the x39 is more than enough. Just my friendly opinion.

Edited by topmaul
For me it's the x39 for longer ranges I would use a bolt rifle with a good scope, with in 150 yards or so the x39 is more than enough. Just my friendly opinion.

For self defense where auto sheet metal is involved the 7.62 x 51 nato spec military ball will generally penetrate a little bit better than the 7.62 x 39 ball.

For hunting only use go with the .308. For plinking and general self defense buy a compliant AK, not a saiga for cheaper magazines and ammo.