Saiga-12 vs 870

I thought it would be interesting to post a pic of my Saiga-12 19" together with my 18" 870 clone.

shottys.jpg

I LOVE my S12 but you can't beat an 870 for home defense!

the sound it makes when you chamber a round is enough to send anyone running.

Hello, XD45

I don't have any pic's of my S12 and 870 together, but it is a pretty cool photo you have there.

I like my 870 a lot as well, it's comfy even for my 5'-2" wife to shoot folded with the Knoxx stock on it. Trigger sucks compared to the G2 in the S12, though....

BTW, there's an XD45 on the left side of this bed, my wife's XD9 on the right side....Love dem XD's, man!

post-3965-1172167542_thumb.jpg

post-3965-1172167566_thumb.jpg

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

I don't agree Juggernaut . I think the sound of the Saiga being fired is much more a deterrent then the sound of cycling an action .

Funny you mention that, if you were to look in be bedroom right now, you would see the S12 next to my bed and not my 870.

THE FUTURE OF THE 870 IS DUCK HUNTING!

My 870 has never been hunting and never will. It will continue to serve as an outstanding defense tool ready to dissuade uninvited guests from their nefarious intentions. I take nothing away from the Saiga, but I will continue to rely on my 870 for HD.

I don't agree Juggernaut . I think the sound of the Saiga being fired is much more a deterrent then the sound of cycling an action .

+1 to that.....cycling a round into a stotty is way over rated as a deterent....keep 1 in the chamber and the safety on.

+1 to that.....cycling a round into a stotty is way over rated as a deterent....keep 1 in the chamber and the safety on.

Just curious... On what do you base this belief that the sound is "way over rated"? I'm willing to be re-educated if I've missed some research on this topic...

I've been on the receiving end of that sound when I had a little misunderstanding with the police in my earlier years. I had no evil intentions to begin with but hearing that sound behind me turned my blood to ice and every muscle in my body locked up. In fact the cop had to yell at me twice to get on the ground cause I was having trouble moving.

If you wish to use the 870 Bill Zumbo hey go right ahead it will do the job but what ever you choose you need to be an expert with it.

I may be new around here but I'm not new to life or to firearms. It certainly isn't necessary to imply that I am somehow like zumbo because I choose a pump shotgun to defend my home and family. I would never claim to be an expert in firearms but I am a competitive shooter and taught marksmanship in the Corps. And though I don't claim to be an expert (because I can always be better than I am) I'm willing to bet my life and the life of my soon-to-be wife on my ability and my choice of tools.

I won't insult you for your choice and I'd appreciate it if you refrained from insulting me for mine.

Just my not even slightly humble opinion.

If you are going to use something -in the middle of the night, when you were SOUND asleep- A pump ain't bad. But whatever you have you need to be very familiar with it.

The middle of the night, scared shitless, you'r hands need to know what to do-you'r head ain't got the functional braincells to figure much out. Not a good time to figure the safety out. 12ga. pump,empty chamber safty off. Only takes gross motorskills to operate. Same with Saiga shottie. I use steel hulls and 9 in a ten mag,empty chamber safety off. No fine motor skills necesary.

Rack pump, or rack bolt. No fumblling for controlls on gun. Simpleist way.

Just curious... On what do you base this belief that the sound is "way over rated"? I'm willing to be re-educated if I've missed some research on this topic...

I've been on the receiving end of that sound when I had a little misunderstanding with the police in my earlier years. I had no evil intentions to begin with but hearing that sound behind me turned my blood to ice and every muscle in my body locked up. In fact the cop had to yell at me twice to get on the ground cause I was having trouble moving.

Oh , the sound is impressive . Got drunk and incondsiderate once , got to meet the Biloxi SWAT team and their 870's . That's all fine for cops that are yelling GETONTHEGROUNDGETONTHEGROUND as they chamber . Different in my store/home , if you're worth me pulling a gun out for , I'm going to shoot somthing [got 5-6 bullet holes in the place, aint shy] . That and I wont hardly miss a chance to tweak Juggernaut ;)

Remember,cycling the S-12 you get a loud AK type action sound!

I have to agree, the racking of a Saiga's bolt sounds just as impressive if not more so than pumping an 870 IMO. They are both great guns, but the 870 isn't the only one that can make ominous sounds.

Litmus test:

It's a home defense SHTF situation:

<Do this in slow motion>....... ---->> "Ohhhhh Craaaaaaaaappp".......<now lean back and reach behind you "as if" grabbing for your gun>

There's an S12 and 870 side by side.

Which do YOU grab?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

S12 any day or night of the week for me. Period. Dot.

Also, I can't think of any sane intruder that would stick around after a full slap to the bolt on an S12 -regardless if they could identify the sound.

~S

Hello

Not really trying to debate which has a better "sound" or anything such as that, but I think they both have their virtues. For instance, the Surefire Foregrip is about as intuitive as a weapon light can get, those are not a Saiga option.

Similarly, with identical loads, the 870 with the Knoxx stock/grip is remarkably almost recoil-free, at least compared to a 12 g without, including the Saiga. I keep both of my HD 12's folded, locked and loaded in my bedroom. I don't think my wife would grab the Saiga to shoot folded if she had the time to choose, but she is not shy about shooting the 870 that way.

-If it were me, heck yeah, I'd go with the Saiga, but I wouldn't feel undergunned to anybody with either one in my hands, at least not at the range I'd encounter in my house...

Just have to evaluate each on their own merits...

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

Edited by guido2

Well...Racking gives away what you have and where you are. This could cause the perp to run or it could cause them to hide and wait for you ambush stile....Im not about to take the chance on the latter. Also the seconds it takes to rack the slide in a home invation situation may cost you your life ...much like carring without a round in the chamber...Just my opinon and the opinon of many self defense trainers.

The cop thing was an entirely different situation than a home invation senario I might add.

Wonder if they can figure a way to test this on MythBusters :ded:

Edited by akok

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Feb 23 2007, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I could give a rat's ass about the sound. I want to have a live weapon

-in hand-

AND functional, as quick in the situation as possible,

with NO chance of misfire.

+ 1 on that

Silent, smooth, reliable, loaded ..... and then BAM. One more dead Perp that can't testify to anything. ;)

the first gun i ever owned was a 870, and it's been with me for almost 10 years, and i still have it. I have thousands of rounds thru it and it still runs like a champ. I just got finished rebuilding it with this conversion and i am still waiting for a surefire 918fa foregrip to finish it off. I've had my s12 for about 5 years and its still running strong. I would have to say i prefer the s12 over the 870 for 4 main reasons, it handles like a rifle, its more compact, semi-auto, and has, detachable magazines. but i do like the 870 because you dont have to spend retarded amounts of money on magazines. oh, and i dont use my 870 for duck hunting :)

post-116-1172306258_thumb.jpg

Well it certainly wasn't my intent to start a debate about pump vs. Saiga (on the Saiga forum, duh), despite the title of the thread. I just thought the picture was interesting. I had always thought the 19" Saiga looked big in pictures but when I got it I was impressed that it was actually shorter than my 870.

I know none of us would volunteer to be on the receiving end of ANY shotgun.