I asked this over on the .308 forum and got some decent responses. Just to be fair and give a chance for equal time and perspective it occurs to me that I ought to ask it over here:

Am narrowed down to a .308 or a 7.62x39. I thought I was narrowed to the .308 but started reading the x39 section...

Both seem like they would work fine for mid size game (no grizzlies or anything like that) and the x39 seems like it might be able to be easier modified - fcg from bg3, stock ak mags etc. And most off all significantly cheaper to buy. Why would I look at one of the other?

I have learned a lot in a few days (though have not gotten much work done) and I thank you all.

-Scott

Well, we are glad you asked. What most of the .308 guys won't tell you is that the Saiga .308 version is made of much flimsier material than the x39. Some say they are actually made from melted down old Chevy Luv pickup trucks. They are very inaccurate and difficult to control. It is very hard to find high capacity magazines for them.... Do you know why? I'll bet they never told you over there in the .308 section....... The Saiga .308 will unload an entire magazine (sometimes at schools) at random intervals. And they have been proven in the state of California to cause cancer. If you don't live there you will be ok, but all of the other reasons should be reason enough to go with the original..... The 7.62x39!

:zorro:

But seriously, some of the members here own both and can give you a great idea of the differences, streangths and weaknesses between the calibers. I don't really have a clue, I've never even shot a .308 Saiga. I shouldn't even be aloud to post after my 3rd Coors Light.... 99% of the members here (even the newbies)really know thier shit and are greatly helpful. Welcome aboard and I hope you benefit from the combined expertise floating around in here. Making an educated descision is the smartest way to make it.

Well, we are glad you asked. What most of the .308 guys won't tell you is that the Saiga .308 version is made of much flimsier material than the x39. Some say they are actually made from melted down old Chevy Luv pickup trucks. They are very inaccurate and difficult to control. It is very hard to find high capacity magazines for them.... Do you know why? I'll bet they never told you over there in the .308 section....... The Saiga .308 will unload an entire magazine (sometimes at schools) at random intervals. And they have been proven in the state of California to cause cancer. If you don't live there you will be ok, but all of the other reasons should be reason enough to go with the original..... The 7.62x39!

:zorro:

But seriously, some of the members here own both and can give you a great idea of the differences, streangths and weaknesses between the calibers. I don't really have a clue, I've never even shot a .308 Saiga. I shouldn't even be aloud to post after my 3rd Coors Light.... 99% of the members here (even the newbies)really know thier shit and are greatly helpful. Welcome aboard and I hope you benefit from the combined expertise floating around in here. Making an educated descision is the smartest way to make it.

I happen to own both the x39 and .308. I normally use the x39 for plinking because the ammo is much cheaper than .308. I've never really even thought of taking the x39 hunting, because all of my shots are usually long (over 150 yds.). I also try to make sure that I drop whatever game I'm trying for with one shot. The way for me to do that is to use a caliber that has shock/stopping power (in case I'm a little astray of the vital area), and the power to travel greater distances more accurately. That, for me, translates to the S308. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't take my x39 to go hog or turkey hunting; to the contrary. Bottom line, if you intent to hunt medium/large game, the best way (and the most humanitarian way, I would think) to go is the S308. Just my $.02.... :killer:

The .308 and x39 both use the same stock, so there is no difference in how it "fits". If you plan to convert to high capacity, check the cost for magazines to hold say 120 rounds. And check the cost of those 120 rounds.

The answer depends on what you want it for, and what you can afford.

If it makes any difference to you, I had a 308, and I sold it.

I now have 2 x39's.

Wow, I was just about down to thinking everybody was saying if cost was not an option go with the .308. Cost could be an option. Can you give more details as to why you went this way?

And THANK YOU all for your input so far. MORE MORE MORE PLEASE!

-Scott

If you plan on doing a pistol grip conversion, in most cases the .308 is easier. There is also a better chance that there is a PG nut hole cut already, I haven't heard of a Saiga .308 that hasn't had it cut. The easiest trigger to install in it is the RSA adjustable, and it cost 3 times more than the standard Tapco g2. You are limited to 20 round mags and they cost $45 each before shipping. There is a modification you can make to the factory 8 round mags to make them 10 rounders. Most of the low price surplus 308 ammo has dried up for now, so you are difinately going to pay more for ammo. The Saiga .308 is accurate as fuck and built on an AK platform that screams RELIABILITY. It has great stopping power and you can hunt pretty much anything with it. The 16" is probably a better choice, especially if you are plannng to use optics.

7.62x39

Cheap mags (if you convert it), cheap furniture, cheap ammo, costs less than the .308. If you do the pistol grip FCG conversion, you may have to cut a hole for the PG nut. Doesn't matter if you do a godawful ugly job of it because the PG covers it. Less accurate than the 308, less range, but a devil at 50 yards. You can hunt with it, if it is all you have, or if you just want to prove that you can, or if you want to go hoggin (no, not trolling for fat chicks).

I asked this same question and everyone said get both. They were right. I say get the 7.62x39 first and do the conversion.........then embrace the addiction and feed the monkey....