hey guys,

I am once again torn between guns. I love the SL8 by looks, but I have not found much on their performance or how reliable they are. They price right around $1K and thus are expensive. With that money I could very well get all, or almost all, the military surplus guns that I like so much. Such as the WWII rifles and handguns etc.

so? what do ya think? Is the SL8 worth it?

post-21-1092329747.jpg

Vjor: Glad you posted that article, I've been thinking about getting one of the new HK rifles since the magazine ban is about to expire, but it saddens me to read now that HK was forced to change the SL8s sent here to except 10rd mags only.

does anyone know why they did this? will it be changed back after the ban expires??

Because there rifle if they don't do that is a hkg36 with different cosmetics,

the heart of the rifle is base on the hk g36 and that is a no, no, no.

Like every manufacture of guns, they try to make money in different markets,

and well HK to sale the rifle in the USA have to make it that way or no import.

under need every SL8 is a G36 politically corect gun

sooooooorry for spelling

Edited by vjor

I've heard they are going to build a plant in Georga, but its not open yet. In fact Colt has filed a law suit against HK, and Bushmaster. apprently Bushmaster has been a little too good on their copy of the AR. As for HK Colt claims they had advertised some of their guns as "Made in America" (or something to that effect) when their plant isnt open here in the US.

I cant help it.... I'm starting to bleed black and red, HK all the way.

I don't think our army could afford modern HK rifles with their budget being stretched so with all the war-ing and such. I think if HK makes high cap USC mags, I'd be happy. I realize the USC is the civilian, US friendly, version of the UMP which takes high cap mags that aren't interchangable.

i dont remember which forum it was on(it may have been this one), but there was a member that had one, and the stock cracked. it seems that it was a design flaw. aparrently the bolt was somehow made so it could not accept double stack mags. the bolt put pressure on a section of the stock causing it to crack. another member chimed in by saying that the same thing had happened to a friend of his who owned a sl8.

of course you have to take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt, but i would look into some consumer reports on how well it holds up before buying oe.

oh wow,

thanks for the info guys,

I decided that I do really like the SL8, and the UMC, but they are both weapons of the 94 crime bill. Thus when it expires perhaps HK will and can make some changes. So I decided to wait on those two guns and pick up a Fp6 instead.

im not sure about the usc either. it's basicly the civillian version of the ump.

i saw a picture of one that was owned by a guy on another forum. i asked him how he liked it, and he said it was great, but he also said it wouldn't accept hi-cap mags. whether it does or not, i do not know.

The SL8 and the USC have indented receivers that prevent them from accepting the double stack mags of the G36 and UMP. There are US companies out there now, however, that make replacement parts that allow you to modify your SL8 to take AR mags, and your USC to take Sten mags.

Edited by SaltPeter