Magazine Catch Trouble

Was just going through the conversion on my 7.62x39. Everything went fine up until I got to fitting in AK magazines. I got a couple of Pro-Mags, obviously they wouldn't lock in on an unconverted Saiga. I didn't realize I needed to shave off the sides of the mag catch as well as the front. End result - I need a new one. I found a Bulgarian mag catch lever from K-Var but the question is what i should use for the pin that holds it in place. I think the original is going to be destroyed in the process of taking it out. If anyone ever replaced the mag catch, what should I use in place of that pin? Any input appreciated.

Was just going through the conversion on my 7.62x39. Everything went fine up until I got to fitting in AK magazines. I got a couple of Pro-Mags, obviously they wouldn't lock in on an unconverted Saiga. I didn't realize I needed to shave off the sides of the mag catch as well as the front. End result - I need a new one. I found a Bulgarian mag catch lever from K-Var but the question is what i should use for the pin that holds it in place. I think the original is going to be destroyed in the process of taking it out. If anyone ever replaced the mag catch, what should I use in place of that pin? Any input appreciated.

You could try driving it out and seeing if it will go back in.

Although it wouldn't look as clean, you could use a nut & bolt.

A roll pin would work, but I'd be afraid of that slipping out one end.

You could always swap out the entire mag catch assembly/triggerguard since you are converting it anyway. You would have to rivet the replacement one on or use #6-32 or #8-32 buttonhead cap screws.

I have a factory catch assembly that isn't modded, but if you are going through the trouble of replacing the entire assembly then it's better to put in an AKM one.

email me at dinzzag@yahoo.com if you are interested in the factory one...

Edited by dinzag

+1

The only way to fix it right is going to be to replace the mag catch. If you absolutely did NOT want to replace the mag catch, you could build the lip back up with weld and shape it to the proper dimention with a file or Dremmel. I just can't see taking that damned thing apart.... It would be a nightmare!

Been there, done that! My pin was alittle long, so I used a large drill bit to remove the edges that were flared out to keep the pin in. I also got that new catch from KVar. I put the old pin into a vise on my drill press, and drilled a hole in the center of the pin to allow me to spread out the edges again on reinstallation. Now set aside a couple of hours and a sedative to reinstall. I used a flat tipped center punch of a slightly smaller diameter as the hole to slip through the left side of the base, the catch and the spring. I brought the punch towards the rear of the rifle to bring the mag catch and spring forward at an angle. I used needlenose pliers to grab the exposed end of the spring and twist it down into the base, holding it there while I brought the mag catch back by pulling the punch forward. I then inserted the pin, tapping it through and letting it push the punch out of the hole on the other side. I then had help holding the rifle over an anvil-type surface, and used a pointed center punch the flare out the hole I drilled earlier. Couldn't of taken more than three hours to figure this one out! Hope this makes sense and helps. For clarification and questions, feel free to PM me.,

Found a mag catch lever pin on K-Var. Don't know how I missed it last night. So I have new catch lever, pin and spring coming. By the way, Dinzag, the old axis pins would be a bit too loose in the mag catch as they are 4.4mm in diameter and the mag catch lever pin is 5mm. You could probably make it work but I'm not even going to look into that now that I have an original one coming. Thanks for the idea though. Apart from this the conversion is pretty much done, I just installed the bullet guide, that went nice and smooth, Dinzag has a great kit. Next step would be the mag catch assembly rehaul and finding those nylon hole plugs. Then major clean-up and, the best part, testing the new configuration :D . Want to thank everyone on this forum, couldn't do it without you, guys. Keep shooting.

Edited by khudzik