New KelTec Bullpup teaser video

They have been kind of hit or miss with their gear. The sub 2000 is too short for most adults. The SU-16 is an interesting idea if you want a .223 that can fold up and uses the same type of mechanisms as the AR. Personally I don't really like their pistols. This new rifle might be something worth considering if hi-cap mags are available. Looks like they use a rock and lock system, I wonder if that would make it harder to use a longer mag? Other interesting feature is the forward ejecting brass system. I haven't seen that before. Does that work well?

It uses the same ejection system that the FS2000 uses. I know a few people with FS2000 and they have no complaints about it. They even say it ejects when fired up (don't really want to be around them when they test that).

Personally, I would wait a few months after it is released to make sure the bugs are worked out. They had a horrid release of the PF9, and I want to make sure that it is not a habit with Kel-Tec's new products.

The FN FS2000 has the forward ejection, but I haven't read any reports of its performance.

What I've read about Kel-Tec's bullpup is that it has plenty of metal where it needs it. From what I've seen, it has a tilt locking bolt like a FAL, which would need plenty of receiver to sustain the bolt thrust.

What really perks my interest is that they have a 32" barrel available. If I went bullpup, it wouldn't be to get a small rifle, it would be to get a long barrel in a manageable length.

I am really looking forward to seeing that video on a compliant system...

They have been kind of hit or miss with their gear. The sub 2000 is too short for most adults. The SU-16 is an interesting idea if you want a .223 that can fold up and uses the same type of mechanisms as the AR. Personally I don't really like their pistols. This new rifle might be something worth considering if hi-cap mags are available. Looks like they use a rock and lock system, I wonder if that would make it harder to use a longer mag? Other interesting feature is the forward ejecting brass system. I haven't seen that before. Does that work well?

What are you talking about? The sub 2000 too short. I'm 6'2 and I don't find it too small. Its a carbine. A pistol with a butt stock. What ever! I had it at Rangemasters last Friday. It did real well at 25 yards as fast as I could pull the trigger. Do you even own a sub 2000 rifle? Have you ever held an Ak? And like all Kel-Tecs gun they use other peoples mags so of corse hi cap are easy to be found. This 308 uses the Fal Mag.

It uses the same ejection system that the FS2000 uses. I know a few people with FS2000 and they have no complaints about it.

Belgian spec ops have been using it for quite a while now (F2000 ofc, not FS2000) & they seem happy enough.

it's now also being rolled out on squad level for regular army. one F2000 with grenade launcher per squad. the others stick to FNC, Minimi, the odd FN Mag and AW for the section sharpshooter.

i think it's time to get rid of the FNC's... but there's no budget.

For some reason I thought the ejection was going to be...well more ejecting not just a fall out the end of the tube bit

not that its a major gripe just and observation

why would you want it to 'eject'? falling in front probably annoys no one, ejecting out the front on the other hand might go into the bullet trajectory if you fire full auto / dump fire and mess up your shot.

almost no one complained about the P90 and those shells simply dropped right in your lap.

there's not that much ways to get rid of your shells when you want a fully ambidextrous weapon.

looks like it needs a muzzle brake or more weight. that guy seems to be taking some abuse.

but then again, i've not really looked to see how much people recoil with other 308 weapon platforms, but i didn't think it was that much.

remember that it's a short barrel & low weight. of course you'll have heavy recoil. a .308 aint no pussy round ;)

Edited by SuA
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks interesting, I love bullpups. But the forward ejection kind of worries me. I would hate brass being dumped in front of my feet while I was running toward a target. It might not be a problem, we shall see.

Kel Tecs are great for what they are. Inexpensive defensive guns that fill a specific need. I love my P3AT and would not be without it. But, with the fit and finish of every Kel Tec I've seen (including their rifles) I cannot imagine spending $2000 on any of their products. They're going to have to step up in a big way if they are going to charge that much for any product.

As a lefty, a bullpup with forward ejection is HOT!

I hope it comes out soon so I can see if it's worth it. The demo videos always show a perfect running weapon, so I don't take it for gospel.

Interesting AND expensive.

• 1 month later...

Kel-Tec normally has a street price of 70% of what they think retail should be. That would be in the neighborhood of $1,500.00. I plan on trying one when they release which is supposed to be 1st Quater 2008 (Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise). I have almost that much tied up in the scope on my current .308. I have more tied up in my Saiga 12 than my dad did in his Charles Daly Over & Under. Like they say, you gotta pay to play and this doesn't seem to unreasonable predicated upon glowing reviews (yet to be seen, of course). Just a few thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Three things to remember about Bullpups.

1) They're heavy. Sure they look smaller than other weapons, but remember there's a longer barrel in there. But the balance is typically better.

2) Mag changes aren't "fast". You can get pretty quick with them with practice though.

3) LOUDER...sort of. The end of the barrel is now MUCH close to your face. Even if the sound levels were the same from a similar barrel sized weapon in a "normal" config versus a bullpup config, it's seems much louder to the shooter.

All that aside, go KT! Bring some new products to the table! I wish them success.

p.s. I know theses things because I own a bullpup.

DSC02392.JPG

Kel Tecs are great for what they are. Inexpensive defensive guns that fill a specific need. I love my P3AT and would not be without it. But, with the fit and finish of every Kel Tec I've seen (including their rifles) I cannot imagine spending $2000 on any of their products. They're going to have to step up in a big way if they are going to charge that much for any product.

Hello, Echo Four

Ditto on the P3AT...It fills a niche like nothing else on the market. Granted, it's absolutely no fun to push hundreds of rounds through at the range in an afternoon (leaves blisters) but it is the most concealable, reasonable firepower handgun out there.

With frangible ammo I would have no questions about its reliability or ability to stop an attacker at near-to-moderate range.

It's the only pistol I own that I feel comfy with on the motorbike (Left-hand belt clip installed, small-of-back inside of pants, readily accessible by right hand.)

-I suppose I need to work on my left-hand draw and shooting a bit....

I e-mailed Kel-Tec about the proposed price range for the bullpup a couple of weeks ago but have not yet received a reply.

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

I actually look forward to this, I have a FAL I need to build up, and so I'd have plenty of mags. I'd probably get about the same performance out of the two, my only problem with the Kel-Tec so far, is it doesn't appear to have Iron sights at all.

That and the price are my only beefs so far, but then I'm use to surplus rifle prices.

• 2 weeks later...
Kel-Tec normally has a street price of 70% of what they think retail should be. That would be in the neighborhood of $1,500.00. I plan on trying one when they release which is supposed to be 1st Quater 2008 (Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise). I have almost that much tied up in the scope on my current .308. I have more tied up in my Saiga 12 than my dad did in his Charles Daly Over & Under. Like they say, you gotta pay to play and this doesn't seem to unreasonable predicated upon glowing reviews (yet to be seen, of course). Just a few thoughts.

why don't you go ahead and get me one too... that is a geniously built gun

• 2 weeks later...

I love bullpups, their only problem is the rise. They aren't as front-heavy as the traditional guns most people are used to, and there is a lot more rise. Firing a full-auto AUG is much more difficult than an M-16 or M-4.

I emailed KelTec last month about the RFB308 and was told that the release date was indeed sometime in 2008 but I was told that the price would be closer to $3000.00 :cryss:

Regretfully I had to make other plans because that was too rich for my blood. I still have the email on my gmail account I'll see if I can find it.