I've been looking at the Saiga weapons for quite some time now. I had an AR-15, but had to sell it, big mistake. I'm looking at a Saiga .223 or .308 for my birthday. It's pretty much for general shooting. I know the .223 would be more economical, but have always wanted a .308. I would like to put a Russian scope on it as well, maybe a POSP? I welcome anyones input and recommendation. Thanks in advance.

These days, 308 will eat you out of house and home. For general plinking, 223 may be better. I stick with 308 because I am just that kinda guy-- and the fact that I can't really do much with a varmit caliber around here legally.

John

These days, 308 will eat you out of house and home. For general plinking, 223 may be better.

John

I agree. When I first bought the 308 a few weeks ago I did not realize that the ammo situation was getting scarce. However, I expect that to change (hopefully) but in the meantime I am going to start loading my own rounds. Wanted to start getting into that anyway.

Ammo situation aside, I would still have bought the .308 because I've never been a big fan of the .223.

If you wnat to hunt or shoot at long range get the 308 and start handloading. The 223 also looks good now because you can handload for it really cheap. The 7.62x39 was really good for a long time but the ammo has doubled in price. Just get both and that solves the problem.

If you wnat to hunt or shoot at long range get the 308 and start handloading. The 223 also looks good now because you can handload for it really cheap. The 7.62x39 was really good for a long time but the ammo has doubled in price. Just get both and that solves the problem.

:super: You hit it on the head, I checked the price of all 3 at ammoman.com and the 7.62 and .223 were about the same price. :super: