AR shooters please chime in!

I am in the market for a .308 AR and I want to know your opinions on which manufacturers to go with. I love my S-12 and I will be getting a Saiga .308 also, but I want an AR and I want the best quality. So what do you guys think?

Ok as far as I know there are the DPMS rifles and then the Armalites and of course Knights SR 25s. I am not aware of any of these being of a low quality. The Knights are very nice but they are VERY expensive. If cost is no object go with the knights.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

I fired a DMPS .308 at 50 yards and consistantly made one-hole groups, i would estimate 3/8" easy. also fired a armalite ar-10t in .308 and made sub 1" groups at 50 yards. Both functioned well and were very accurate and also very pleasant to shoot. I'd go with a DMPS just because of the price. http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/308/base.aspx

also note that dpms rifles use modified FAL mags and Armalite uses modified M1A/M14 mags

post-116-1172823789_thumb.jpg

I fired a DMPS .308 at 50 yards and consistantly made one-hole groups, i would estimate 3/8" easy. also fired a armalite ar-10t in .308 and made sub 1" groups at 50 yards. Both functioned well and were very accurate and also very pleasant to shoot. I'd go with a DMPS just because of the price. http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/308/base.aspx

also note that dpms rifles use modified FAL mags and Armalite uses modified M1A/M14 mags

I have almost 9K through the pipe of my Bushmaster Carbon-15, every type of ammo you could imagine without a burp not related to a case or primer. They also have the AK style gas systems now on their ARs. Not sure if this also applies to 308, but might be worth checking into. An AK gas system on an AR style carbine would be tough to follow (literally).

I don't think they've come out yet but Rock River's 308s got my attention with their use of FAL mags and $1150 price tag.

If you want to go with RRA - and I'm told they're head and shoulders above all but the custom guns, check with Pete at http://www.ar15sales.com (aka Legal Transfers LLC) for pricing and availability. His prices are way off book; and he usually has items in stock when nobody else does.

Edited by DUTCH VanATL

Hello, DUTCHVanATL

I, too, am in the market. I've been on two waiting lists for a RRA LAR-10 for nearly a year. I believe they are right on the horizon of being on the market. My guess is they will be innundated with orders, especially since this AWB nonsense is starting up.

From what little I know about AR's, you can not do better that RRA, even at twice the price. And, as KYSoldier mentioned, the RRA match trigger is installed in other manufacturers guns regularly.

I believe DPMS quit making their .308's, according to their website. There are still some to be had, but I would be nervous purchasing one with no manufacturer to back 'em up with parts.

That carbine-length A4 sure looks sweet to me, especially at just over a grand! Match-grade trigger, Hogue grip, CAR adjustable stock....What a deal!

JMHO,

Guido2 in Houston

I don't think they've come out yet but Rock River's 308s got my attention with their use of FAL mags and $1150 price tag.

r308mid07.gif

I attended a gun show two weeks ago & RR was not only represented but raffled away one of these! If not out near you yet, they should be coming soon!

Unfortunately, I was not the winner. :(:cryss:

I also believe they were the ones who had a decently priced lefty model.

Edited by Marvin 42

First off, DPMS is still making LR308's, now in multiple configurations. Their website was revamped and not working a while ago, but I assure you that they are still in production as per conversations with DPMS employees.

I personally own 2 DPMS .223's and 1 18" bull LR308B. The quality is awesome. I have consistent groups under .7 inches at 100 yards every time with Federal Gold Medal 168 Grains. My best is .22 inches at 100 yards with that same load. The worst group (after I jerked it, it was about 1.1 inches at 100 yards). It is consistent and reliable with good ammunition. If you plan on feeding mixed jungle surplus for 3 cents per round, go somewhere else because these are built for accuracy and have tight match chambers.

If you are looking to pray and spray with mixed ammo, pick up the AP4 version as it is still capable of consistent sub moa groups with good ammo.

I would not trade my LR308 for a Rock River, Armalite, Bushy, or any other. The JP conversion for a .308 costs $2000 and I doubt you improve accuracy much more than a quarter inch from the out of the box DPMS (I recommend splurging for the JP trigger though and if you need sub half moa accuracy guaranteed, go JP!).

The only bad things that I have heard about them are the crappy plastic magazines failing. The steel ones are available from Midway USA for less than $30 when they run sales.

Check out www.rguns.net for best pricing on the 18" and 24" bull barrel versions. They have quick service and I think shipping is only $12 to your FFL.

I shoot a DPMS 16 Carbine. Absolutely no problems with it.

CMMG out of Fayette, MO makes a good gun too. I got one of their lower receivers to make up my dad's 20in battlefield rifle and have played with some of their complete guns at shows. You might want to take a look at their site online.

Edited by Shootin's Fun

I have a SIG-556 now in my "collection" (low number too lol ... 000125x). It has a nice Eotech 512.A65 series on it now.

Excellent weapon --just waiting on spring for some good quality range time on it.

The piston and trigger are well beyond belief I might add.

~S

"Whats the best caliber to use/ have for an AR?", well I like 5.56 personally, but:

Best big'un- 458 SoCom

Best Suppressed- 300 Whisper

Tony's varmint AR has one of those "poodle-killer" calibers, .17 or something and he loves it for the sub-MOA distance work.

Tromix AR's are the bomb...they are the gun that built the business, but these days Tony hasn't got time to make them due to Saiga orders.

I'm with you. Been through this already. Mixed and matched and threw money at it.

KAC

ARMALITE

DPMS

RRA

In that order. Based on Quality

HOWEVER.

Based on reality, and cost, availibilty of parts.

DPMS

and they allow you to build what you want as far as options, i.e. grip, trigger, barrel, etc.

ARMALITE

RRA

KAC

I strongly suggest anyone who has somewhat rode the brand name bandwagon please listen in regards to DPMS being on the serious rise in quality. Check out the DPMS SASS .308.

I have fired one, and..........WOW!

I will be throwing more money DPMS's way.

I have had a great chance this week on R&R to peruse MANY lowers, and rifles( over 50 each brand) and laid them out side-by-side to pick what I wanted.

I looked over BUSHMASTER, DPMS, STAG, RRA, SUPERIOR ARMS, ESSENTIAL ARMS, AND LMT.

DPMS had the best finish. STAG, and LMT are top notch. But as far as .308....

I love the DPMS.

post-1520-1173333598_thumb.jpg

You might want to look at this man's work. I have shot several of his rifles and own three .223 cal ARs that he has built from the ground up. Two of them are national match service rifles and the other is a custom 16in tactical rifle that he also built using a pre-ban bushmaster XM15E2 lower. I have also recently had him start on a brand new upper for my registered machinegun. I use these rifles in matches and also for work. They must be absolutely reliable and dead accurate. In my mind there is no other person that I would look to for an AR build then Phil Arrington. Here is a link to his website and a phone number. He will talk to you about your rifle and help you to build your perfect rifle.

http://arringtonaccuracy.com/

623-582-5066