Just came back from the range. Went to Winchesters indoor range here in Ft. Worth. Purchased a Pro Mag 8 rnd magazine to augment my Novac that came with the weapon just in case the stories about the Novacs were true. Also purchased 200 rnds .45ACP Wolf FMJ 230 GRN ammunition to run through the weapon. Of that ammo, I only got a chance to fire 100 rounds through the firearm. Distance to the target was 21 ft.

1. The were no FTF's to report. Both magazines feed ammo reliably both when just sweezing of sigle shots or rapid firing the weapon. I did notice that the froor plate in the Pro Mag got to be a bit lose after the session, but the Novac was rock solid. I do wish the weapon came with another magazine though.

2. The weapon seemed to shoot were it was aimed. I did have to adjust to the GI sights, but when you have a 5"inch barrel out in front of you, it's kinda hard to not hit your target. The firmer you hold the thing, the more likely the round will go were you are aiming.

3. There were no missfires to report at all. Generally you would think that break in problems would happen within the first 100/200 rounds, but this thing seems to ge stronger with use.

Over all I, liked the gun. I think Rock Island Armory has a sleeper on thier hands. I do wish that the sights were a little better, and that another magazine had been inclueded, but for the initial $412 .U.S bucks after taxes and before ammo and extra mag, I think it was a good deal. Believe me when I say that this was the cheapest RIA .45 in the D/FW area.

Just came back from the range. Went to Winchesters indoor range here in Ft. Worth. Purchased a Pro Mag 8 rnd magazine to augment my Novac that came with the weapon just in case the stories about the Novacs were true. Also purchased 200 rnds .45ACP Wolf FMJ 230 GRN ammunition to run through the weapon. Of that ammo, I only got a chance to fire 100 rounds through the firearm. Distance to the target was 21 ft.

1. The were no FTF's to report. Both magazines feed ammo reliably both when just sweezing of sigle shots or rapid firing the weapon. I did notice that the froor plate in the Pro Mag got to be a bit lose after the session, but the Novac was rock solid. I do wish the weapon came with another magazine though.

2. The weapon seemed to shoot were it was aimed. I did have to adjust to the GI sights, but when you have a 5"inch barrel out in front of you, it's kinda hard to not hit your target. The firmer you hold the thing, the more likely the round will go were you are aiming.

3. There were no missfires to report at all. Generally you would think that break in problems would happen within the first 100/200 rounds, but this thing seems to ge stronger with use.

Over all I, liked the gun. I think Rock Island Armory has a sleeper on thier hands. I do wish that the sights were a little better, and that another magazine had been inclueded, but for the initial $412 .U.S bucks after taxes and before ammo and extra mag, I think it was a good deal. Believe me when I say that this was the cheapest RIA .45 in the D/FW area.

My friend has a RIA 1911, I love that gun! Very well made for the price. I think his favorite ammo is that wolf that you're shooting. I hate to hind sight ya, but I've seen them for $389 on Ft Hood (+ no tax) and 365+ tax in florence, TX. Definately not worth the drive, you got a nice pistola.

He hates his sights too, I think he's gonna deck it out with all the custom parts soon, I'd love to see it after some checkered grips and night sights.

BFT, I have an RIA .45 also with Novak mags. I bought a couple Chip mags, but in the end went looking for more Novaks because I found them to be the better mag. What are the "stories about Novaks" that you've heard. I've never heard anything bad about them, and have always found them to work the best in my RIA and my new Taurus PT 1911 as well. 8 out of the 10 mags I have now are Novaks. Thanks for any info.

Badman B)

Edited by badman400
BFT, I have an RIA .45 also with Novak mags. I bought a couple Chip mags, but in the end went looking for more Novaks because I found them to be the better mag. What are the "stories about Novaks" that you've heard. I've never heard anything bad about them, and have always found them to work the best in my RIA and my new Taurus PT 1911 as well. 8 out of the 10 mags I have now are Novaks. Thanks for any info.

Badman B)

Seems I am in good company here. And thanks for your comments! It'll be a while before I deck it out or anything as I also have a PT1911 on order too. As to the Novac issue:

About three years ago, I was going to buy a RIA .45 , but the guy at the sporting goods store discouraged me from doing so. He was talking about how bad the mags were and that I'd end up spending the money I was saving on magazines. Interestingly enougth I went back buy thay store and they don't even sell hand guns any more!- :unsure:

Next I was on another forum were they were talking about Rocks and the magazine issue came up, and this time they were talking Novacs by name! So I was very pleased with how the Novacs performed out of the box. I think I'll be geting more of them. As for the Promag, the floor plate seemed to get lose after having about 50 rounds run though it. Guess what I'm buying again.

congrats on the new toy. i've always looked hard at the RIA's. they run about $330-$350 around here. (central La.) actually i looked at a few very hard this weekend at the gun show. but i came home with something a little different. it's a 45acp. it's a 1911. but i only had to part with $185+tax! i still can't believe it! damn thing only had at most 50 rounds fired through her. slide to frame fit is tight, tight, tight. took her out the same day and fired multiple rounds with zero malfunctions, PERIOD! now, from what i read this brand is real hit and miss. about the same amount of people hate em as they love em. but hell, for $185 YOU CAN'T GO WRONG! and i didn't, because this is my favorite of all my pistols, and i trust my life with it.

post-987-1173152837_thumb.jpg

Edited by TWGLADF

TWGLADF: Who's the maker of that pistol?

Everyone Else: I'd done some research on RIA 1911's before my last purchase, and the story I kept getting was that they "need" a break-in period. It was several hundred rounds; I don't remember the exact number. Glad to hear another glowing review of them though. I've seen alot of them at the shows around Central Illinois ranging in price from $350~ to $400~.

Everyone Else: I'd done some research on RIA 1911's before my last purchase, and the story I kept getting was that they "need" a break-in period. It was several hundred rounds; I don't remember the exact number. Glad to hear another glowing review of them though. I've seen alot of them at the shows around Central Illinois ranging in price from $350~ to $400~.

Thats a Llama .45. Good pistol, unfortunately they don't make them anymore.

yep llama.

i'm sure you can find them on maybe gunbroker or auction arms.

keep your eyes open at the gunshows also.

i've run about 4 different brands of fmj and hollow points through her with ZERO failures.

i'm in love with this pistol. selling my compact witness 45 now. last week i shot a colt 1911 commander, and a springfield (alloy frame). i don't know why, but i simply like this one better. maybe it's the grips. i don't know, all i know is that i will buy another given the opportunity.

now back to RIA, i'm going to keep a close eye on em and given the situation, i'll try to snatch one up if the price is right.

Edited by TWGLADF

The break in period is not a real issue to me. I've got a Kimber Tactical II and the manual SAID it may FTF/FTE in the break in period. I think they suggested 200 rds of 240gr fmj for break in. The only issues I've ever had with it was FTF when the top round wasn't seated properly in the mag, I had to incorporate a quick tap in my mag change procedure. That RIA is a great 1911 for the price, my buddy is 100% satisfied with it.

Hell, I've got a Norinco 1911 that I've had for about 15-16 years, and NEVER had a problem with it. I've had guys laugh at it when I pull it out at the range, but it has never failed me. OPPS, I stand corrected, it did when I put a Pro Mag 40 round drum in it, those are a POS, because they won't feed right. So I just us the Chip mag in it.

Norc are pretty good, some manufacturers bought them up for custom guns, the steel is pretty good aparently.

the RIA guns are a decent buy, and if you have a problem you can usually get ahold of "Ivan" on various forums.

"Ivan" is the rep for RIA, he's on 1911 & THR forum.

I have the Rock Island tactical, and love it. I swapped the full length guide rod for the GI version and changed the grips because I prefer something with some bite to them. The pistol locked open from time to time, so I ordered a heavier recoil spring. It has not come in yet, but the problem seemed to resolve itself after about 150 rounds.

The best thing is their service. If you ever have a problem visit m1911.org and let Ivan know. He'll make it right by either sending you the parts or having you send him the pistol. I only know of one he hasn't been able to correct, and that is because someone decided to take a dremmel to the feed ramp without knowing what they were doing.

I can't wait for the compacts to hit the market again. I love the tactical (which should be on the market again now or in the very near future) and have heard great things about the GI. Makes me thing the compact will be great as well. Of course, since they can't keep up with the demand, I assume that the prices are about to go up. Still should be the best 1911 value out there.

There is a website that sold the compacts when they were in supply. Sadly Armscor can't keep up with demand, so I think only the GI models are available right now. The compacts are supposed to be back on the market the first week of April, so I assume the Tacticals will be as well.

Tacticals seem to be selling for about $450, so the GI is probably $350-375 or so. Not as cheap as Hi-Point, but much higher quality from what I have seen- and far less than any other comparable 1911 on the market. I would put my RIA Tactical against anything from Springfield or other companies of the same quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to add another recommendation for the RIA pistols. I especially like the Tactical model as it has just the right extras on it over the GI model for me. As far as the 'break-in', well, I guess mine are still being broken in. No failures of any kind with decent magazines. Cheap mags, different story, but that happens with the Colts too. RIA only guarantees them to be 100% with 230 gr. FMJ, but my compact, GI, and Tactical eat several brands of HP just as well. The RIA's are great pistols! +1 for Ivan the rep also.

• 1 month later...

Another RIA fan here! I bought one at the beginning of last year and only paid $330 for it -- which just shows that they're catching on in popularity and people are figuring it out!

I wanted to try my hand at a little gunsmithing, so I installed a beavertail grip saftey, new hammer, competition trigger and King 3-dot competition sights. All in all, I'm very happy with it. Not a single failure so far.

Pics of my mods and it's current incarnation are on my website, here: http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/RIA45.html

One of the things I like about 1911's is how easy it is to change the whole look and feel of the gun just by changing the grips. Now I understand why my wife has so many purses...the need to accessorize!

The picture is of my RIA wearing it's current set - some custom grips with my ship's crest from Gungrips.net.

Jim

post-6519-1179712369_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...