One-of-a-Kind Saiga-12

That is without a doubt the sweetest Saiga-12 on the planet. You should start offering a SBS service for them. You would really get a lot of buisness!! Don't think about it, just do it!!!!!

Wow... That shotgun is a sex machine! I'm wondering if we could get just a little more detail about the mating of the ACE hardware and the FAL stock. I've been thinkin for quite sometime of doing something like this but didn't want to order a bunch of parts and then discover some unforseen difficulty. Even just a brief description of how you did it would be great. Thanx!!!

Hi Guys.

Here is the whole gig with the gun.

mattssaiga12.jpg

We were doing some conversions for all of us up here, personal guns. I wanted mine to be 'perfect'....sights, stock, looks, gas assy, everything. And wanted it to all flow together when I was quick-shouldering and firing.

I knew I would mostly be firing Walmart low-brass, not a lot of punch, so the shortest I wanted to do the bbl was 12.5" to keep enough power coming out of the bbl so it still had some distance to it.

I wanted a multi small port gas assy because I am horrible about cleaning my stuff....it needed to work when it had hundreds of rounds through it and was filthy.

When I was prototyping the gas system, I didn't like that it was either wide-open or completely closed. I knew that when I got it to work on low brass, the 'open' setting would be too much for heavier loads and fully closed seemed to be what I would need for 3" hot rounds. There needed to be some in-between settings for micro adjustments depending on the rounds being used. The knob seemed liked the logical choice; once the gun got dirty it would be hard to turn the knob by hand, would need a screwdriver blade to turn it. Like I said, my stuff never gets cleaned, and I wanted to be able to turn it easily without having to break out a screw driver. Looks cool too.

I always run tight chokes on my guns, so I went with the poly. I liked the adjustability and I didn't want to mess up our internal choke-taps trying to get through the chrome plating.

Hk front sight, we actually put one on a 1100 prolly 7 years ago, seeing it on the old autowerks MAC-10 uppers and liked it...never finished the HK/shotgun project though (never will either). Seemed like the best front ghost-ring for a shotgun.

DSC01708.jpg

DSC01709.jpg

I felt like the stock HK front sat a bit high for my liking, I wanted it as low as possible, so I machined it down. Front site blade is from part of an inventory of a small company's assets we purchased when they went out of business.

Rear sight, was trying to do something different, was going to machine a Galil copy, but whe I tried an M16A2 sight on it, it just seemed like the perfect match to the front. I thought it looked cool too, so I was real happy. Tightened up the receiver-cover, so I wouldn't have any rear sight movement. Takes some effort to get it on, but that is a good thing.

Tapco HG....coolest AK HG imho. Same with Ace's Galil style grip.

HG retainer, was in the process of modifying AK-47 ones, then saw Tony's drop-ins. Great idea and saved me a ton of work. Made a picatinny rail out of steel for a flash-light mount and Tig welded it to Tony's HG-retainer, and used the thick picatinny to mount the screw.

Ventilated HG, had to fill the gap between the HG and bbl for more pleasing aestetics. Molded it into the Gas-block. Came out better than I had hoped.

Welded up and ground smooth all of the import markings and warnings.

Removed the side scope-mount, I was never going to run optics and I wanted to make the gun cleaner and sleaker.

Trigger-Gaurd, factory AK-47 modified.

Internals, modified East German Forged/machined internals, stronger than the Tapco cast ones. Polished them to mirror finish at contact points. Polished some of the bolt assy too.

Mag-release, welded a long paddle to it.

Safety lever stop, made a pin to replace the mag-catch hinge-pin, that extended out the right side to the edge of the receiver. Lever touches the tip of the new/longer pin when pushed downward.

The buttstock was the hiccup. There are a lot of nice onces out there, but I wanted one that was perfect in looks and function for me. I knew I would use an Ace hinge. After looking at and modifying a bunch of different stocks to see which one had the best feel, I went with the FAL. Everyone up here said it was the best of all I had built in terms of shouldering sighting and looks. Took me a long time to find the right stock, but it worked out OK in the end.

My biggest fault is I try to be a perfectionist (which winds up eating up much much more of my shop-time than is really necassary), and I wanted the gun to be imho "perfect". I am really happy with the result, but I wouldn't go to the trouble again.

Hope this info has been useful. I don't think I am leaving anything out, but I might have forgot something.

ps: I have two extra stocks I made to mount on other types of guns, but I will probably never get around to doing it though..

I'll probably post them in the classifieds when I have time this week.

Matt

Edited by C&S Metall-Werkes
I wanted a multi small port gas assy because I am horrible about cleaning my stuff....it needed to work when it had hundreds of rounds through it and was filthy.

When I was prototyping the gas system, I didn't like that it was either wide-open or completely closed. I knew that when I got it to work on low brass, the 'open' setting would be too much for heavier loads and fully closed seemed to be what I would need for 3" hot rounds. There needed to be some in-between settings for micro adjustments depending on the rounds being used. The knob seemed liked the logical choice; once the gun got dirty it would be hard to turn the knob by hand, would need a screwdriver blade to turn it. Like I said, my stuff never gets cleaned, and I wanted to be able to turn it easily without having to break out a screw driver. Looks cool too.

Any chance you might manufacture the adjustable gas plug for stock gas systems??? PLEASE? Pretty please? With buckshot on top?

Yeah, I think I will make the gas adjuster knobs and the stocks. No conversions though. Thanks for the input fellas. :donatello:

you don't get a humble opinon... it is magnifacint... you deserve some pride in that one

i myself would love to have an adjustable port... same reasoning... mine is cycling now on magnum port for wally-world rounds... for now

Yeah, I think I will make the gas adjuster knobs and the stocks. No conversions though. Thanks for the input fellas. :donatello:

YES!!!! I'm so sick of that damn detent pin and how ceased the threads get. I can't wait for an easy adjust with more adjustibility. I'll be eagerly awaiting the release. Thank you!!!

Speaking of shooting, if you haven't heard, Busch Rifle and Pistol range is shut down for a couple of months while they do repair and maintance. A friend of mine didn't check the website and drove out there Sat, and found out the hard way.

We never go to Busch anymore, too many shots-per-second restrictions.

If you go out 40 past Troy there is an unman'd range, Logan Wildlife. 40 to Silex/Logan sign, make a left, then the first right up a hill. When the road ends, go right on the gravel road, cross a creek and it's on your left.

No full auto though.

For FA, go 40 past Troy, then past Bowling Green, look for the Rannicker Conservation sign and go left straight to the range. It's in Pike county and they are FA friendly.