Interested in Saiga 12, need some info.....

Hey guys, it's all yours and Jack Lewis' fault, but I'm gonna have to buy myself a Saiga 12! By the way, the reference to Jack Lewis is because he had a review of the 19" barrel 12 ga. model in the sixth edition of "Assault Weapons". It got a favorable review from him, needless to say. I need a little info on the 19" screw choke model. From what I can tell, the barrel is threaded on the outside, is this correct? Has anyone considered using an open choke as a donor to make a muzzle brake? When the ban sunsets (hopefully, thank-God!), I was considering a pistol-grip conversion. I noticed the differences in the trigger guards on the 12C and the Sporter. On the Saiga shotguns, the trigger guard and selector stop are assembled separate from the mag catch. So I'm assuming that everyone converting and re-using the trigger-guard that came on their shotgun is going to fabricate or adopt a selector stop. If this seems unclear, I'll try to explain further. Thanks for any info you guys can give me! I really like the Saigas and hopefully will have one soon!!! AKATTACK

Edited by AKATTACK

hi AKATTACK , yes the threaded barrel has external threads ( i have the model you mentioned you are interested in )..CDNN has a variety of chokes available for the Saigas , and MAKC was able to sell me a muzzle brake from his website..for the price i would recommend a Blackjack recoil buffer as well...there are also a couple of members of this forum who have been working on producing their own brakes for sale , but i am not up to date on the status of their project ( check thru the threads , they have posted pics and info in this forum )..K-Var and Red Star Arms are a couple of good AK parts suppliers where you can find trigger guards AND safety stops , as well as most other parts , to do a PG conversion after the ban sunset..if you dont want to re-use the original guard you can get away with using their parts with a little minor modification ( you will not be able to use the new mag catch assembly but it can be trimmed to fit around the original and clear the tab )..there is a little bit of welding required if you want to use the original guard..

im sure you will be satisfied with one of these babies , you cant beat the performance and reliability for this price ...welcome to the forum , if you need any help , you have found the right place to look...you can probably find a whole lot of good info here just by going back thru the old threads..any problems that people have had have been discussed here ( the few that have actually occured ) and i havent seen a problem yet that hasnt been resolved in a simple way...there are also links to a site that pictorially demonstrates the process of doing a PG conversion step-by-step...

also there are a lot of parts suppliers mentioned throughout the threads , along with comments on who the best ones to deal with are..its gonna take some reading , but its worth doing some homework...

Silverfox, thanks for the fast reply! I have purchased products from K-Var before and had an idea about ordering a trigger guard and selector stop from them and cutting them down to fit. I have been visiting here for some time and have exhaustively read these forums and really love all the info that I have gathered! Just decided to go ahead and register the other day. I'm a BIG fan of the AK, so I figured I might as well get an AK scatter blaster. THANKS again for the info! AKATTACK

AKATTACK-Welcome! You will love the s-12. The long barrell with a fixed choke is usually cheap ot CDNN. You can have one of those cut down and tapped for screw chokes. There are any number of ported and extended screw chokes and even muzzlebrakes available!

G O B