Got a guy who wants to sell me his for $150. Sounds like a hell of a deal, but just wanted to know if anybody had any experience with these.

Thanks all

Rob

Is that a .22 or a .380 mini-1911? I have a .22 and I absolutely love it and so do all of my kids. I know they're going to fight over that one when I die.

From my experience and readings, they're the bottom of the barrel. I'd gladly pay $150 for an ugly ass Hi-Point instead. At least it is reliable and has a life-time warranty. It might be worth it for a $150 toy, but not for a $150 gun. Just my $0.02

I own one. It was very hard to find someone willing to do a trigger job on it and polish the feed ramp. But after that it has been wonderful. It has a lot of MIM parts, so it is rather heavy, but to me that makes it handle better. The Chip McCormick 7rd mags will fit if you enlarge the retention notch a bit. Otherwise, they fly out when the gun is fired. Good luck finding a holster for it. You pretty much have to go with the loose-fitting nylon ones. The sights aren't standard as well, so what you get is what you get.

All in all a very useable firearm.

I found this little bit of history on Llama's. Pretty interesting stuff.

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20espagnole/l...0llama%20gb.htm

That's my little Llama 22 alright. I have the more expensive 49.99 model in solid steel. :lolol: But seriously anyone that shoots that little gun falls in love with it. I love Spanish pistols... Astras, Stars and Llamas. The Star 28/30M series is far and away my favorite 9X19mm pistol of all-time. thanks for the link... that's Good Stuff! :super:

The Llama "MicroMax" is the .380 ACP. I have it and like it alright, but the slide stop / barrel pin walks out under recoil. They came in blue and white chrome. Mine is chrome. It's like a 3/4-scale 1911, down to the grip safety, barrel bushing, thumb safety and the firing pin arrangement. The extractor is different and the grips are wayyy different.

The Llama "MiniMax" was put out in .45 ACP (and maybe 9mm and/or .40S&W too - I can't remember). This is closer a 1911 (Officer's ACP-sized), but there are some mechanical differences and 1911 mags and most 1911 parts are not inter-changeable with it (in the .45 version anyway). Both the MicroMax and MiniMax had horrible triggers from the factory (11-12 lbs on my .380).

All in all, not bad guns, but I would not carry one as a primary carry piece or a HD gun without really testing it out and doing some trigger work.

(Note - I love the STAR "FireStar" series. I have an M45 that is absolutely reliable with all ammo tried, great trigger and 1911-like controls (no grip safety). I have had 3 of the M45's, 2 - M40's and 1 of the 9mm's. All have been great pistols. My only complaint is they are a tad heavy for carry, but great shooters... FWIW.)

Edited by macbeau

i'm not familiar with the mini or micro but i am familiar with the max1.

all i'm going to say is i love mine, will trust my life with it, and shoots better than my dad's colt combat commander. mine cost $600 less, but thats only b/c it doesn't say colt on it and it's not pretty glossy blue finish, but i don't give a shit about finish.

whats that matter if it doesn't work right for you?

oh, i forgot to mention my max1 will cycle any ammo you put through it with zero mods being done to the pistol or magazine. period.

my advice: IF YOU SEE ONE IN GOOD CONDITION, BUY IT!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=68191800

Edited by TWGLADF

also, the llamas are one of the few if not the only ones that come standard with an extended slide stop/release that you can activate with your thumb without having to change your grip position.

also they come standard with extended beaver tail and skeletonized hammer.

these pistols are loaded with features that is just unbelievable for the price.

and thats why so many people think they are junk.

thats the reason for companies having minimum advertised pricing (MAP).

so people won't get the impression that their item is junk when it's really not.

those that think you can "always" base quality on the price are IDIOTS!

Well, we went to the range over the weekend and I got to try this little beauty out. We were using blunt nose USA ammo and some fancy winchester hollow points, and some cheap wad-cutters that I don't remember the brand. He had already had the feed ramp polished, so it cycled all ammo flawlessly. I like the weight and heft of this gun, though after 150 rounds it did make the thumb a little sore. I know getting accesories will be next to impossible, but all in all I was very impressed, needless to say I picked it up. Great price for this kind of shooter.

Ax-man, who did you get to do the work on your pistol, somebody here in town?

shotguncowboy, the accessories are not "impossible" to find contrary to what alot of people say.

they are just expensive as hell!

set of wood grips= went for about $40-$50.

factory sealed magazine= went for about the same $40-$50.

the max1 will not take standard 1911 grips. the screw holes are spaced differently.

the max1 will take colt g.i. mags, so it should take other 1911 mags also for about $8 a mag.

Well, we went to the range over the weekend and I got to try this little beauty out. We were using blunt nose USA ammo and some fancy winchester hollow points, and some cheap wad-cutters that I don't remember the brand. He had already had the feed ramp polished, so it cycled all ammo flawlessly. I like the weight and heft of this gun, though after 150 rounds it did make the thumb a little sore. I know getting accesories will be next to impossible, but all in all I was very impressed, needless to say I picked it up. Great price for this kind of shooter.

Ax-man, who did you get to do the work on your pistol, somebody here in town?

Michele, out at The Bullethole range (210-679-6781) knows some local guy who does the work. He did a great job on mine. The trigger pull is smooth and consistent and the safety works now. It feeds anything I throw at it, as long as I don't "limp-wrist" it. I'll use it for CCW, if I ever get my permit. . .