New JPoint/Dr Optic mount for Saiga's (pics) $95

Here's a sneak peak of the prototype JPoint/Dr Optic mount for the Saiga shotguns.

Made by AMS Machine. We will have these in stock within a month.

EDITED: In stock and ready to ship $95ea.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

JPoint3.jpg

JPoint4.jpg

JPoint1.jpg

JPoint2.jpg

Can you get a version without the side metal tangs?

these kind of optics are very fragile. since they're not cheap, it's wise to have such a side protection.

they often sell metal protection cages for over 75$ for those things... (protection only, no rail or whatever)

Edited by SuA
I like it. Was there any torture testing done on these? Can those little sights can handle the beating? I want one.

buy with confidence. Hi quality, used in a lot of apps.

The Fins tested dots and JP was thier top pic (IIRC, JimKula, chime in here if I'm remembering it wrong).

John, you realize that if you put one JP on your shotgun, that I'll mount two ....... :)

-K

There is no machining required to install it on your S-12. Just knock out your rear sight or rib shackle, slide this into the slot and tighen up the screws. I would put some loctite on it as well.

Bob Ash and I will be testing this setup next weekend.

Tony Rumore

It's my understanding that most of the problems with this style sight comes from recoil. In prior talks with Wakal and Jamshot they have both advised me to have them "bullet proofed" to deal with the shock and help with life expectancy if you shoot a lot. There are some things that can be done internally, or you can send out.

I have to say the mount looks nice, wish they would have done a little more of a melt to lower it some and fit the profile better.

As far as sights go, the Docter looks a lot better than the JPoint. I have a JPoint right now that I bought mostly for mock up reasons that will probably end up on a .22. The whole thing is plastic, including the lense, which isn't the best for clearity. The style is great, small, light, and with the small window you could still probably use it if the dot went down, and low profile. I'd like to find out more about some of the other versions of these that I've been seeing with the aluminum body and glass lense.

The little black plate marked "JP" can be turned over for mounting a Dr. Optic. The other side is inscribed "DR"

Tony

I have heard that the Dr. is more durable than the Jpoint,aluminum case and glass lens verses plastic/plastic. These are used in a lot of race guns inculding the 1911s. It would be interesting to do a life test on one. a 45acp is not much compared to an S-12 with mag loads. This will be an interesting experiment.

It would be interesting to do a life test on one. a 45acp is not much compared to an S-12 with mag loads.

The thing that you need to keep in mind is that they were designed to be slide mounted on a 1911. They not only take the beating from recoil but also the action of the slide. A shotgun would be less punishing to the sight then the constant action of the slide on a pistol. The Dr. sight is the standard by which the others are measured.

John, you realize that if you put one JP on your shotgun, that I'll mount two ....... :)

-K

K you already have that Cobra on yours, at any rate I just got new glass for my x39, also I bought Eric a high rise see through scope rings and a pistol scope for the his Ultimak rail. I hope that works on that 80 yard stage, as soon as it gets here I am going to put it on his S-223.

I think my rifle and Eric's are at the end of thier evolution. Now it's a matter of practice.

Edited by topmaul
I like it. Was there any torture testing done on these? Can those little sights can handle the beating? I want one.

buy with confidence. Hi quality, used in a lot of apps.

The Fins tested dots and JP was thier top pic (IIRC, JimKula, chime in here if I'm remembering it wrong).

-K

I and PJ use Docter since it has less parallax and feels more solid option than Firepoint/Tasco2000/JP. Also sighting in is easier than with JP and glass lens doesn't make the dot grow beard and horns. ;)

Docter, however, died after ~2000 round but was soon fixed and has been working since. If you think that AK-system shotgun is easier on sight than .45 pistol I would ask why. AKs have turned many Zeiss optics, Cobra's AA batteries, Tasco 1*30, Optapoints and Optasights into trash. Besides, many Modified IPSC shooters use Docter mounted on slide without worries and only some of them have worries with reliability. But with AK you really have to think what to put on top.

-JumiKuula aka JamShot

I have used the JP mount on my race gun melded into the slide for over a year now (10,000 rounds) with no problems. I do keep an extra one in my bag in case of failure during a competiton. As soon as Tony gets this gun back to me, I will have one on my pistol, my JP AR-15, and now the Saiga-12.

The Docter sight does have better optics due to the lens being glass and not plastic. However, the electronics are very fragile and will not work for long unless you send it off to Beven Gram (gramsengineering.com) to get the electronics modified. By the time you do all of this, the Docter is much more expensive than the Jpoint. With one on every gun, the Jpoint with a backup is a better option for me.

I'll try to keep everyone updated on how this setup performs in competition. The first major test will be at the MGM Ironman multi-gun comp in June. I will put over 500 rounds through it in 3 days. Should be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I,ve been working with JP (Tasco Optima 2000) , and the Doctor optics 12 years now. I've had many Tasco Optima scopes break on Raceguns . The new Importer JP has them on the 4th or 5th generation, and are much better than the old ones. So far the Doctor has been flawless. The optics on the Doctor is better, but has a small field of view. JP has plastic body that have Helicoil inserts, dont over tighten them or they will break. Doctor is all metal. If you look on Ebay there are lots of Doctor knockoffs, I havent tested them out yet so its a gamble. I will be checking out the new Burris soon.

Hope this helps...

I bought a Docter knock off from eBay and so far I have ran nearly two hundred rounds throught it and it is working flawlessly on my AR. I have it mounted directly on top of a Bushnell 1.5-4.5x20mm scope for IPSC Multi Gun. It has two set screws that after you Zero you tighten. I ran 30 rounds through it dropped a mag and ran 30 more and she makes a nice pattern. Only problem so far is on sunny days it is awful hard to pick up the 4moa dot, but I am going to try a new battery soon and see if that doesn't help. I have a multi gun competition this Sunday and I will see what it does there.

I bought a Docter knock off from eBay and so far I have ran nearly two hundred rounds throught it and it is working flawlessly on my AR. I have it mounted directly on top of a Bushnell 1.5-4.5x20mm scope for IPSC Multi Gun. It has two set screws that after you Zero you tighten. I ran 30 rounds through it dropped a mag and ran 30 more and she makes a nice pattern. Only problem so far is on sunny days it is awful hard to pick up the 4moa dot, but I am going to try a new battery soon and see if that doesn't help. I have a multi gun competition this Sunday and I will see what it does there.

The Doctor knock offs eat batteries at a cyclic rate. I have both an optima 2000 and a Doctor both bought used, both still running on the batteries that came with the sight. Got one of the clones in a trade for cheap and it has gone through two batteries in about two months.

I am Running an AMS Machine housing on an ARMS 17DR with the optima as my primary optic on my AR. I think it is a great product.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA.

• 1 month later...
Tony, on an s-12 with your standar G3 sights is the mount low enough to use either iron or red dot sight?

I was wondering if the G3 sights and this Dr Optic mount are compatible with each other as well. Can you use the iron sights through the window of the Dr Optic?