i dont know if this has been discussed before...

they are littered over here in the gun shops! I haven't shot one myself, but I've handled maybe ten. they are all over every gun shop I've been in, 'round here. and, they don't seem to sell very well. my feeling is "what the hell?!?" a rifle should be able to shoot something @100 yds, and a 9 mm hand gun can't really do that.

you're talking about those weird plastic guns right? hi-points. My impression is that nobody really takes them seriously - but then again every body goes kookoo for the ar-15 (in the shops). but for $179.................................... what would you be out, really?

my 2 cents :angel:

I had a Hi-Point carbine, one with a scope. I took it out one time, thats all it took to realize I had to get rid of it. It had poor acurracy and you cah only get a 10 round mag.

I don't see why you would compare a Hi-Point carbine to an AR. I like my AK's better then my AR, but I'll never sell the AR.

Edited by crowak

i almost bought one from my local shop for 129. looked like a cheap fun plinker. I didnt ask about the magazines, and if they are like the kel tec carbines in that they take other manufacturer's mags or not....prolly should check into that before you buy one, and not expect much from it except a cheap, fun plinker :) and i dont know if i told ya this, but i LOVE cheap guns....yeh im pretty sure i mentioned that before actually....

Hey crowak, I didn't say they were a cheap p.o.s, I said they were REALLY expesive P.O.S.! :haha: (I've been waitin' for SOMEONE to grab the hook :lolol: )

seriously, they're good weapons, if they were cheaper to buy i might consider one.

Bvamp's got somethin' there if your goin' cheap make sure the whole deal is cheap.

I'd seriously rather blow 9mm rounds through a nice hand gun, though! I've not had any military training, so I don't understand the need for hk sp-5, or the whole 9mm rifle thing. Seems if I can get 100yds away from you, you're done!

i almost bought one from my local shop for 129. looked like a cheap fun plinker. I didnt ask about the magazines, and if they are like the kel tec carbines in that they take other manufacturer's mags or not....prolly should check into that before you buy one, and not expect much from it except a cheap, fun plinker :) and i dont know if i told ya this, but i LOVE cheap guns....yeh im pretty sure i mentioned that before actually....

yeah, the kel tec carbine takes glock mags.

ithe highpoint has specific mags made for it. these seem to be in high supply, and if im not mistaken, they're fairly cheap as well.

this gun will be for plinking and fun only. it will not be for hunting, hd, or anything else where reliability and accuracy will be a factor.

i have pretty much decided that i will buy it. it is just a matter of when i will get off my lazy ass and get one. when i do, i will provode a full report on reliabity, accuracy, and quality :smoke:

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Hi-Point 9mm carbine a couple months ago for around $200...what a ripoff! It has too much plastic on it for my liking. The one I bought was totally unaccurate. I was shooting from a bench and it never hit the same spot twice. I didn't really like the idea that you couldn't get more than a 10 round magazine for it and I also did not like that way the mag locked into the gun. It just didnt feel like it was secure enough to me. Since I'm right-handed I didn't like the bolt handle being on the left side of the gun. I'd say save your money and put it toward a Saiga or converting it if you've already got one. I just recently traded my Hi-Point and 3 other guns for a Saiga 7.62x39 and even though the cost of the Saiga was close to that of the Hi-Point, I still think I got the better deal out of it.

just bought a keltec sub 2000 in 9mm saturday for 289. BOY am I glad I didnt but that hipoint carbine. the keltec can be gotten in a couple of chambering/magazine types. mine takes smith and wesson mags. fun gun.