Fired my Saiga for the first time

Fired my 7.62x39 Saiga for the first time this weekend. Some observations:

1) This gun rocks! Its simple to use, and built like a tractor. No wonder AK's are used all over the world.

2) This gun is accurate. OK, I know its not a sniper rifle, but just plinking around it fired consistently in the same place from shot one.

3) This gun is loud! Using the little ear insert hearing protectors was not enough. My ears are still ringing.

4) This gun is fun! I had an old computer hard drive that a virus had shut down and needed erasing. Mark down 1 new use for a Saiga: permanently erasing an old hard drive! :killer:

I love my new gun! I'm looking forward to sighting it in this weekend.

D

be careful, I think there might be a tool you need to adjust side to side - for the front site.

mine came out of the box new sighted perfectly! In fact, just like you, I've always kinda been surprised by its accuracy. 2" @ 100 isn't a-lot (of error) when you're just messin' around! a beer bottle is about 3" so, as far as I'm concerned, it's been right on the whole time.

I'm starting to use targets, and scopes - we still haven't done any REAL accuracy tests, so the jury's out on specifics.

love this gun!

If I ever need to snipe someone.. I'll get a sniper rifle.. :P

But, for my needs.. I'm sure this Saiga will do. A man is a lot bigger than 3".. even 10". So.. As long as I can hit him 5/10 times (or more if I get some 30rd magz and mod them), then I'm happy. :) Shooting as fast as possible.. I still got 3/10 rounds into a small target that was only about 10"x10". So..

Thanks for the idea about shooting old computers.. that sounds like fun. HAHA. I'll do that.

:devil:

Edited by prophageus

old computers can actually catch fire when you blast em up. makes one heck of a mess, dont ruin your shooting spot by leaving it there.

p.s. dont shoot anything hard at close range, and nothing really heavy like a tire rim or engine at any range. you have a good chance of a round or shrapnel from your target coming straight back at you.

Edited by Bvamp

The soft foam earplugs can be quite effective if used properly. Roll them between your thumb and index finger to make a 3/16" roll. Insert the roll into your ear canal and let it expand. Too many people just stuff them in the outer recess of their ear. This is not adequate and they experience ringing ears. Take the time to learn proper hearing and sight protection. No one has tough eyeballs or eardrums.

One of my dumber freinds tells a story of when he was younger standing 10 feet away from a speaker magnet and firing his sks with HIS friend. The bullet came right back into the other guys shin (or something did)! They had to drive 20 miles to the hospital, then had to talk to the cops. The idiots still live!

at one of my ranges a car turns up about every couple of months. come to think of it, one has shown up at the other site too in the last year! damn kids!!!!!! (I feel weird saying that, I used to here it all the time).

I'm no crying indian or anything, but it is kinda F'd up to come around the bend in this awsomely green, pristine forest, and then ride into a gravel pit - filled with everything under the sun rattled with bullet holes. I have to admit, in years past I didn't pack everything out - but three seconds with the kids pickin' up stuff, just makes everything mo' betta. In fact that was the resident cops main thing - pack your stuff out.

The soft foam earplugs can be quite effective if used properly.  Roll them between your thumb and index finger to make a 3/16" roll.  Insert the roll into your ear canal and let it expand.  Too many people just stuff them in the outer recess of their ear.  This is not adequate and they experience ringing ears.  Take the time to learn proper hearing and sight protection.  No one has tough eyeballs or eardrums.

You are right. I've had great experiences with the cheap foam stuff. I was out, though, so I bought a $10 "advanced" pair of inserts that my gun dealer recommended. I think I'll buy some more cheap foam inserts.

old computers can actually catch fire when you blast em up. makes one heck of a mess, dont ruin your shooting spot by leaving it there.

I was shooting at the family farm. Rest assured I swept all the computer bits into a trash bag before I left. Still, the clean-up didn't spoil the fun. :killer::super:

D

I haven't heard of any consistent 7.62x39 ammo that "hits the same place each time you shoot"....

Anyhow - I use the cheap foam ear plugs also, they're rated for 32 dB NRR. Most of the cheap yellow ones are like 22 dB NRR. The special "inserts" aren't very effective and the same goes for ear muffs.

• 2 weeks later...

In case people aren't aware of it and certainly not trying to jump on your case BUT computer components contain many nasty chemicals, heavy metals, mercury etc.. If you want to have kids without birth defects DO NOT SHOOT CIRCUIT BOARDS. They're bad for the environment too. Just go to the grocery store and buy the cheapest canned goods you can. They are cheap and fun to blast. Easy to clean up too with no risk to your health or the environment. It might seem like common sense but you never know.

I'm sorry but I've been working in the world of electronics for 10 years - and there's nothing poisonous on a motherboard. In the monitor there's a vacuum in the picture tube, sometimes they fill it with nitrogen, or some other INERT gas. The three chemicals are a resistive component (rubber, plastic....) a neutral ceramic (five valence electrons- or dielectric. a crystilyn, or baked clay) and a conductor (almost always copper). all surounded by plastic. My father was a radar tech/tv repairmen, and nothing poisonous makes up these things.

LEAD is used in solder, that's the only thing! but we all know that unless you put it in your mouth, you're ok. In fact there's about 100 times more lead on your hands when you clean your gun!!!!!!!!!! WATCH OUT WHEN CLEANING, DON'T TOUCH YOUR EYES, OR MOUTH, WATCH OUT WHEN DRINKING BEER AND CLEANING YOUR GUN! you might have slippery fingers and spill your beer.

REGARDLESS, it's still a good idea to pick up the stuff you shoot! I certainly am not cool with leavin' garbage in my rain forests (oergon coastal range). (a little tear rolls off the cheeck of an old indian, as he looks over the tattered land of his fore fathers, and he thinks to himself-what have we done, WHAT HAVE WE DONE!!!!!!!!!!) :rolleyes:

Edited by Siagalova

Some how I knew you guys would respond to that statement. i knew it the minute it left my finger tips. Funny g o b!

serioulsy though, the last time I was cleaning the gun I was sippin' with my hands all over the neck, and out of no where I stopped and looked at my hands, and thought to myself "see there, I knew I was a smart guy at one time! years of eating paint chips, and holding the solder in my mouth, to hold the parts, wore me down.............D'oh!". Memories..Like the la la ..........................