Anybody ever play with these?They use your lower and there upper?How do they hold up?I wonder about the reciever getting beat up....

Are you sure you're not thinking about the .50 beowulf? There's a HUGE difference between a BMG and a Beo...

No I think he meant 50BMG as its titled. There are companies that make the uppers. I would never do that to my lower receiver. It just doesn't seem right to shoot such a large, punishing caliber from an aluminum platform that wasn't designed for it. Here's a company that makes a steel lower for their upper which I thought was a good idea...

http://www.ferret50.com/ferret50_conversion.html

404010m.jpg

But, I would just get an AR-50 for the same price and be done with it myself :smoke:

KySoldier is speaking the truth of my thoughts...

::Inserts foot in mouth:: Sorry Hunter, i should've done more research. Seemed like too crazy an idea to be real.

I didn't think the receiver could handle that much pressure/recoil. You sure is hell won't find me shooting a .50BMG out of anything that weighs under 35lbs, and I definitely wouldn't ask my lower to handle it. Neat idea though!

KySoldier is speaking the truth of my thoughts...

::Inserts foot in mouth:: Sorry Hunter, i should've done more research. Seemed like too crazy an idea to be real.

I didn't think the receiver could handle that much pressure/recoil. You sure is hell won't find me shooting a .50BMG out of anything that weighs under 35lbs, and I definitely wouldn't ask my lower to handle it. Neat idea though!

Personally I'd like to be shooting a .50bmg out of something a little heavier...say...an M1 Abrams perhaps?

i do remember someone trying to market an AR15 lookalike in .50 bmg that fired semi-auto. can't remember the name, but looked about the same except for magazine and barrel thickness. (doesnt look like the ferrett 50 at all)

...I would never do that to my lower receiver. It just doesn't seem right to shoot such a large, punishing caliber from an aluminum platform that wasn't designed for it...

I think the .50 BMG uppers are all bolt action - so the only 'punishment' you're talking about in terms of the lower is the recoil force (because the breech remains locked on firing). From what I've read, that's about like the recoil of a 12-gauge shotgun. If an aluminum lower can't handle that, I think you just wasted your money. (Speaking of which, I think you could build an AR lower, without the mag well, out of 'off-the-shelf' steel rectangular tubing, and maybe some round aluminum tubing, for next to nothing.) Just my opinion...

;>)

Yeah they fire just like other bolt actions...I still don't think I'd risk an AR. I'm not saying it'd break on the first shot, obviously there are people out there shooting them....I just don't think it's good for the lower, especially around the pins. As I recall you have to install a custom heavy duty hammer in your lower to ensure it will ignite the 50cal primers, so it may not be a truely drop in unit after all.

• 1 month later...

Went to a shoot where someone had a ferret .50 upper like the one pictured above. Last I heard, he had was up to 800 rounds through it and the lower is still in exellent condition. The brake really tames recoil. .50 BMG seems more like a push rather than a sharp snap.