I've had mine from almost the beginning. I'm sure it does lessen the felt recoil but the main reason I have one is to save on wear and tear.

...the main reason I have one is to save on wear and tear.

Amen to that! From what I've read (having never fired an AKM until it fell apart), AKMs fail, when they eventually fail (after many, many, MANY thousands of rounds), at the rear trunnion. The recoil buffer could conceivably delay or even prevent that kind of failure. I've used buffers in several AKMs (every one I've ever built) and they do not, in my experience, affect reliability at all. I would definitely go with a buffer - it's cheap insurance...

I dont have one in my Saiga yet but I do have one in my FAL and I like the results, it seems to smooth out the recoil more than lessen it. I also made one for my AR-7 and it went a long way towards quieting down the action, those things cycle loud. So, add reduced wear and tear to the list and it sounds like a plan to me.

I've got one in my FAL, too, and like it a lot. I even added one to a 10/22 I used to own. I really don't see a down side to any recoil buffer, as long as the firearm remains 100% reliable - and every one I've ever tried has worked that way...

I've only had one so far and that was with some reloads. Actually, it was the "second" round I ever fired from the .223! None since then. None with the buffer.