what type optic do you have on your saiga???

I am curious, as I just cannot bring myself to spend $180 for q fixed 8x, and 4200 + for a variable. At that price, I can fit a Luepold Variable and good solid mount!

So with that in mind, what type optics are you using on your saiga?

Iron sights on all of my Saiga rifles.

They shoot good enough with irons, that I have no need for an optic.

If I want to do some *accurate* shooting, I use a different rifle, with optics. (AR-15 Target, Ruger TNZ, Savage .204 Ruger, Savage 17HMR)

My AK's and Saigas are "plinking" guns... no use for them for anything else.

:smoke:

For the Saiga I think it is a little over the top to use traditional optics. It just isn't that type of gun. I have a red dot on mine. I used to have an aimpoint, but decided that it should have a Russian optic, so it has the Kobra. Great optic that performs well within the function limitations of the platform.

Funny you should ask I just put a 4x pistol scope with extra high rings so I can still use my irons, on my Ultimak M1-B gas tube. I wish the rings were a little higher, but this was the highest I could find, There is a gunshow in a few weeks I plan to look very hard for a higher set.

Ronald, can you still use your irons with your setup?

Edited by topmaul
Funny you should ask I just put a 4x pistol scope with extra high rings so I can still use my irons, on my Ultimak M1-B gas tube. I wish the rings were a little higher, but this was the highest I could find, There is a gunshow in a few weeks I plan to look very hard for a higher set.

Yes, irons can still be used, although the scope is pretty low. Also because the scope is a little to the left of the barrel, I can still use it at 300 mtr.

Edited by Ronald1969

Pictures?

I went a different route, the red dot as low as I can, use iron true it, just in case

of battery failure, plus still can use side mounted Russian POS 4 x 24.

The red dot is a PK-01 and been low as low can be, as you shoulder the gun,

the dot is right on the money, giving you a nice chick weld on the stock

and the ability to use the irons if you want right true the red dot.

Plus the ability to install the side mounted scope if I want to shoot the gun

a little more precise at ranges over 100 meters, kind of blind but with the red dot

still can pop targets at 100 meters no problemos at all still hit 6 inches targets

and even if I can see only the big dark dot at 100 meters, the kid been young

and with good eyes can hit stuff smaller and kicker than the old man at 100 meter

with only the red dot. why the dot sits low you may ask your self, well rest chick

on stock, red dot really sturdy on ultimak mount and the ability to see with irons true the red dot, plus as you pick the gun and shoulder it, the dot is on line the gun, you don't have to stretch your neck or anything is just really comfortable to shoot plus kick

just natural when mounted on the shoulder.

By the way this is a 7.62 x 39 I just sold my .223 but same set up on that one too

untill I sold it and just give the new buyer a cheap red dot with the gun, by the way

havent put a new finish on the damn gun, still lasy as allways.

Edited by vjor

Vjor,

I agree with your set up but the one I have is a little different, it has a pistol scope up front on the Ultimak for distance shooting and the irons for up close. When I use my Red dots on my rifle I always want the option of using Irons or the dot. On my AR which is where my PK01 is right now it has a nice co-witness with the irons. My son uses the S-223 as his 3 gun rifle, and where we shoot we have some tricky shooting requiring some magnification so instead of putting my scope in the normal place we opted to try it out there. Eric likes his red dot out there so it seemed logical to try a scope.

Vjor,

I agree with your set up but the one I have is a little different, it has a pistol scope up front on the Ultimak for distance shooting and the irons for up close. When I use my Red dots on my rifle I always want the option of using Irons or the dot. On my AR which is where my PK01 is right now it has a nice co-witness with the irons. My son uses the S-223 as his 3 gun rifle, and where we shoot we have some tricky shooting requiring some magnification so instead of putting my scope in the normal place we opted to try it out there. Eric likes his red dot out there so it seemed logical to try a scope.

I hear you bro, every one has its own preferences on set ups

in the post before just and idea of a set up.

V,

Where in Florida are you I have family in Jacksonville and Crystal River, I was stationed in Cape Canaveral and Islamorada, I will post a picture shortly of the .223 Ultimak setup that I use.

V,

Where in Florida are you I have family in Jacksonville and Crystal River, I was stationed in Cape Canaveral and Islamorada, I will post a picture shortly of the .223 Ultimak setup that I use.

On Fort Lauderdale, thats were I live right now, hey I bet you love to be in Islamorada, nice weather

nice water, good fishing a lots of bars at list now and lots of girls.

Hi

I own a posp 4x24, pso-1 4x24, posp 8x42 and a NSPU image intensifier, i used to use the posp 8x42 on my saiga but it now shares rail time with the NSPU on my dragunov svd, tht leves me with the posp or pso-1 for my saiga 7.62x39mm, i have found the original pso-1 to shoot better than the civvy posp 4x24 so maybe its of higher quaity. my saiga 12c carries a pk-01 red dot and it is great with slug. If i was choosing a scope for accuracy with a saiga i would go for the 8x scopes.

assassin