New club member

I thought it was time to join. I have returned from my favorite pawn shop with a new Saiga .223. What do I need to transform it? Bullet guide, FCG, P-Grip? What mags?

I have a 7.62x39 FEG and a couple of Romy's. The Saiga feels lighter, which surprised me. Though the trigger doesn't feel as smooth or crisp as my AR's, it ain't half bad.

If I can find my camera, lost now in some box (I have recently moved), I could lay the Saiga out with its brothers, cousins and foreigh relatives (AK's, AR's and SKS's) for a family photo. But the range calls...

buckmeister

welcome to the club! You'll find a lot of magazine talk around here, and for good reason. The mags are not just jumping off the shelves at you. The best answer seems to be the 5.45 magazines converted to work with .223. I believe Dinzag will make the mods on your followers for a reasonable price. I may have to pick some up and see.

Other than that, just scroll through the threads and you can see what most people are doing.

I thought it was time to join. I have returned from my favorite pawn shop with a new Saiga .223. What do I need to transform it? Bullet guide, FCG, P-Grip? What mags?

I have a 7.62x39 FEG and a couple of Romy's. The Saiga feels lighter, which surprised me. Though the trigger doesn't feel as smooth or crisp as my AR's, it ain't half bad.

If I can find my camera, lost now in some box (I have recently moved), I could lay the Saiga out with its brothers, cousins and foreigh relatives (AK's, AR's and SKS's) for a family photo. But the range calls...

buckmeister

Check with dinzag regarding your mag (and other) options. A lot of folks like the Bulgy .223 mags, a lot of folks like the Galil Orlites, and I think a lot of folks seem happy with the modified AK-74 mags. Options are good!

If you can't find one of dinzag's posts (he has links in his 'signature' block), go here (see below), and click on the link under "3) Magazine options for your .223 Saiga." It will take you to dinzag's mag page:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=14852

Personally, I like the Orlites!

;>)

• 2 weeks later...

While away on a business trip I found a surplus store with steel .223 AK mags. Standard AK mags will snap into my Saiga. These appear to be identical to the 7.62 flavor with the exception of the fron "hook" being thicker. There are two buttons securing the floorplate. Will these function in my Saiga after I install the bullet guide?

buckmeister

While away on a business trip I found a surplus store with steel .223 AK mags. Standard AK mags will snap into my Saiga. These appear to be identical to the 7.62 flavor with the exception of the fron "hook" being thicker. There are two buttons securing the floorplate. Will these function in my Saiga after I install the bullet guide?

buckmeister

Any knowledgeable input here? This could have a 'short fuse'...

buckmeister

Any knowledgeable input here? This could have a 'short fuse'...

Dunno if anyone's going to be able to say with any certainty without trying it.