What do you feed your Saiga .223

I like Barnaul ammo for my 7.62x39. What ammo works best in the .223 version?Has anyone tried the IMI surplus stuff?

Thanks,

David

BTW, answering this is very helpful. I used the results in the similar poll on the 7.62x39 in selecting my favorite ammo for 7.62x39 (and avoiding the problem choices and wasted $). Thank you for your opinions.

D

• 3 years later...

Anything and everything!

THe AR is kinda prissy and finiky so it gets the new production cheap Remington green and white box Wally world ammo. The reloads from that brass go to the Saiga.

Funny how the AR said that using all this different kind of ammo including reloads will void the warrenty, but the Saiga never said that!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Squib

I've used Wolf in mine with good results and also PMP, handloads and S&B. As everybody is indicating, the Saiga seems to digest them all with no troubles. Of course, the brass cased domestic stuff or good milsurp will be the most accurate and shoot cleaner.

• 4 weeks later...

Wolf and Barnual have worked good for me. Used to shoot a bunch of Cheetah that shot good and clean but it was made in Zimbabwe and I think importation has stopped. They are probably using all they can make to kill each other in that country.

• 2 weeks later...
I like Barnaul ammo for my 7.62x39. What ammo works best in the .223 version?Has anyone tried the IMI surplus stuff?

Thanks,

David

BTW, answering this is very helpful. I used the results in the similar poll on the 7.62x39 in selecting my favorite ammo for 7.62x39 (and avoiding the problem choices and wasted $). Thank you for your opinions.

D

S&B work good in my gun .

Depends on what "what works best" means. Feeding and plinking for plinking's sake? I've used everything from PRVI, Black Hills, Federal, RemUMC, and UltraMax.

I'd like to try the surplus stuff, but the ROs at the range I go to have got a ban on steel jacketed/core ammo. So they're real leary with surplus ammo.

As far as group size wise, I've gotten better results with 75gr match ammo from Wolf Gold and UltraMax. So most of the 55gr surplus is out for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I converted my .223 in the days before the Dinzag bullet guide so I had to make my own. For mine, any softpoint 223 is out. The feed angle is to much and causes the lead tip to flatten out. This will ussually cause a jam. When they do fire they are insanely inaccurate because the bullet tip is smashed to one side. I have good luck with any FMJ rounds or hollow point rounds. I get best accuracy with the Hornady TAP rounds with the polymer tip. They feed great and the tip flexes back after feeding for the ride out of the barrel. We use the 55 grain for SWAT. We have shot sheet rock interior walls of apartments that were to be torn down and found that the projectile breaks up after impact and comes out the other side as almost powder. With this round we are less likely to hit an unintended target in the next room. These are good for home protection but not for shooting through a barricade, auto glass, or sheet metal.

Anybody have problems shooting 5.56 out of their saiga with it being a hotter load and all?

I know they are marked .223 and normally I would not shoot 5.56 out of a rifle unless it was marked to handle it. The Saiga however is different. The rifle can take 5.56 and then some. I can't say for sure and I'm sure some one here will correct me but I think that all of the Saigas (7.62x39, 308, 12 gauge) use the same frame, fire control group, bolt carriers ect.

Edit: I type too slow. "Virtouso" beat me to it.

Edited by madmilo

Indonesian NATO-spec surplus 5.56mm. I bought 'a can or two,' when it was a bit over $100 for 800+ rounds, including the can.

;>)

It has a reputation for running a little 'hot,' but I've never had a single problem with it (unlike the ChiCom brass-cased stuff that gave me case failures)...

Well, I fed my Saiga S&B 55-grain FMJ .223 on its first outing. Very nice ammo, with not one jam. Accurate, too. It likes this ammo. This was the cheapest ammo I could find other than Wolf. I don't plan on shooting Wolf again after experience with the stuff in my Romak-3. It shot well, but I think they cut it with black powder or have some major problems with powder quality control. It made a royal mess.

Anybody have problems shooting 5.56 out of their saiga with it being a hotter load and all?

Considering that they use the same receiver as the 7.62 version I would assume it would be fine.

I know they are marked .223 and normally I would not shoot 5.56 out of a rifle unless it was marked to handle it. The Saiga however is different. The rifle can take 5.56 and then some. I can't say for sure and I'm sure some one here will correct me but I think that all of the Saigas (7.62x39, 308, 12 gauge) use the same frame, fire control group, bolt carriers ect.

Edit: I type too slow. "Virtouso" beat me to it.

Not very conclusive as the 5.56 is WAY higher pressure than the 7.62x39, .308, and 12G. Remember it is the chamber pressure which is the issue here. That being said in addition to the steel poly and lacquer coated cases, I have fired Lake City and PRVI M855 out of my Saiga without issue. I agree in that I believe this rifle can handle hot ammo very well. Still though the ejection pattern on the brass cased rounds were erratic and "rainbow'ed" compaired to the lacquer coated steel cased com-bloc ammo. I think these rifles prefer the cheap steel stuff...

Edited by decodeddiesel
  • 3 weeks later...
My first post. I've been shooting Brown Bear 223 62gr hp. Can't make it jam. 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds on the bench on sand bags using imported factory ammo. What a great little rifle, and I don't mean simply because it costs less. I mean what a great little rifle!

Welcome to the forum, compadre! And I agree - it's a "a great little rifle!"

;>)

I've been shooting Brown Bear 223 62gr hp. Can't make it jam. 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds on the bench on sand bags using imported factory ammo.

I forgot to mention (I must be tired ;>) that when you find any reasonably priced ammo that shoots well in your rifle, buy a bunch. And then I would recommend that you go back and buy 2-3 times more than you think you need.

I did that with the Indonesian 55 gr 5.56 NATO surplus that was available about 10 years ago. Great ammo! I went back and bought another can (a bit over $100 for 800+ rounds, including the can). In other words, I doubled what I thought I really needed.

Crap - I should have bought 5 (or 10) cans, not just two...