I just got my first Saiga this weekend. It is a .308. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet but I think I am really going to like it. In fact I am already thinking of another one in .223. Will these use both .223 and surplus 5.56? I'm thinking they are chambered .223 only but I can't find a definite answer. Thanks.

I just got my first Saiga this weekend. It is a .308. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet but I think I am really going to like it. In fact I am already thinking of another one in .223. Will these use both .223 and surplus 5.56? I'm thinking they are chambered .223 only but I can't find a definite answer. Thanks.

I've heard some say the 5.56 might be a tad hot, but Izmash's site calls it a .223/5.56 rifle, and the 40 or so rounds of Wolf military 5.56 M193 (3200 fps... wow!) worked just fine!

Bill

5.56 is hotter, but the weapon can handle it. Enjoy.

I haven't tried 5.56 in the Saiga yet, but I would guess it can deal with it just fine. In some rifles, the 5.56 won't quite feed properly, but I have only seen that on 223 rifles with very tight tolerences. Not really a hallmark for the AK series.

Picked up some 5.56 NATO today, 10 boxes for $25. Oh boy did it ever work. Think I'm going back tomorrow for the rest of his supply.

The yotes won't know what hit um'

At $2.50 a box, for NATO-spec ammo, it sounds to me like you found a deal! In my humble opinion, FWIW, when you find good ammo cheap, 'buy in bulk'...

;>)

Picked up some 5.56 NATO today, 10 boxes for $25. Oh boy did it ever work. Think I'm going back tomorrow for the rest of his supply.

The yotes won't know what hit um'

At $2.50 a box, for NATO-spec ammo, it sounds to me like you found a deal! In my humble opinion, FWIW, when you find good ammo cheap, 'buy in bulk'...

;>)

I went back w/ 5 bills wishfully thinking there was lots more 5.56x45 to get. He in fact did have many more rounds for me, liked that I had the cash on me & let me keep one of my "C" notes & had me out to door w/ 4000 rounds of NATO spec for $400.

BOO-YAH BABY!!!! :lolol:

dont get it mixed up. the saigas are military chambered guns. 5.56 WONT be an issue, like the finicky ARs out there chambered for .223 hunting ammo.

the shoulder of the military round is a HAIR different specwise because of jamming issues, (part of this is cured with case hardening, which is the discoloration of the neck of the case) and it is generally loaded a lot hotter than .223 spec ammo.

the saiga is made to shoot military ammo. buy that shit up, and have no fear.

dont get it mixed up. the saigas are military chambered guns. 5.56 WONT be an issue, like the finicky ARs out there chambered for .223 hunting ammo.

the shoulder of the military round is a HAIR different specwise because of jamming issues, (part of this is cured with case hardening, which is the discoloration of the neck of the case) and it is generally loaded a lot hotter than .223 spec ammo.

the saiga is made to shoot military ammo. buy that shit up, and have no fear.

Not a problem for me as I have but one .223. Couple of my shootn buds however will be pissed. Guess they will have to get Saiga's now.... or start buying their own freckn' ammo....

Oh yeh, the NATO shit is a lot hotter than rem .223 :devil:

GREAT PRICE ON THAT AMMO. ONE QUESTION, DOES ANYONE KNOW THE TWIST RATE ON THESE SAIGA .223 THANKS FOR AY INFO. THE SHOOTIST-1

I've never measured it myself in my Saiga, but I've read it's 1 in 9...

;>)